Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used car between €6000-8000 - family friendly

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's 55km each way so over 100 km a day. It's a mixture of good back roads and then joining the M50 before Blanch and getting off at junction 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why do you think 55km is diesel range?

Diesel would be 100km+

Is the 55km city driving?

Over 500km a week? Diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's 55km each way so over 100 km a day. It's a mixture of good back roads and then joining the M50 before Blanch and getting off at junction 7.

Similar to me so. I do it in eGolf but that would be outside budget. The 26kWh eGolf, you could potentially do in Leaf but I would suggest having the ability to top up at work......

So is most of the driving in traffic? I would guess so if using M50/N3 etc?

IN that case hybrid will work better. PHEV or full electric will of course now reduce your toll costs as well at a maximum of 500 per year

bear1 wrote: »
    Over 500km a week? Diesel.

Ahh the Irish love of daysel:P

The engine hasn't even heated up properly at 55km..... If it was 100km each way then yes diesel. 55km is still petrol/hybrid/electric country....

Also most of journey would be M50 traffic and city driving....terrible for diesel......

Similar to me so. I do it in eGolf but that would be outside budget. The 26kWh eGolf, you could potentially do in Leaf but I would suggest having the ability to top up at work......

So is most of the driving in traffic? I would guess so if using M50/N3 etc?

IN that case hybrid will work better. PHEV or full electric will of course now reduce your toll costs as well at a maximum of 500 per year

Most of the driving is actually on pretty quiet back roads. I take the R122 and head towards Ashbourne where I get onto the M2, then onto the M50 for a bit and then into Palmerstown.

A hybrid would be fine butt I suspect I'd find few in my price range and most will either be Japanese imports or older than I'd like.

Most of the driving is actually on pretty quiet back roads. I take the R122 and head towards Ashbourne where I get onto the M2, then onto the M50 for a bit and then into Palmerstown.

A hybrid would be fine butt I suspect I'd find few in my price range and most will either be Japanese imports or older than I'd like.

Im on R121 :P the bit on the M50, you doing in rush hour?

I know the last time I hit M50 at 7.30 thinking I would be ok it was backed up that early:mad:

Ahh the Irish love of daysel:P

The engine hasn't even heated up properly at 55km..... If it was 100km each way then yes diesel. 55km is still petrol/hybrid/electric country....

Also most of journey would be M50 traffic and city driving....terrible for diesel......

But it's min 2000km a month... Not sure what must be wrong with your car if the engine isn't up to full temp after 55km :rolleyes:
    Mine starts to heat up within the first 3/4km.
    By all means go for petrol if you can absorb the costs without issue but I wouldn't.

You may join the masses and buy a cheap diesel. I would stay closer to the 6k price because the government will have to do something with diesel at next budget so expect more tax on it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

The op is most definitely doing diesel mileage and his budget is 6 to 8thousand euro can electric plug in hybrid cars and so on be bought for that money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You may join the masses and buy a cheap diesel. I would stay closer to the 6k price because the government will have to do something with diesel at next budget so expect more tax on it....

I'm listening to this claim every few weeks or months, usually by the EV brigade who have become the new motoring equivalent of vegans. We get it, you like EVs but not everyone has to. Yet there is nothing to suggest that any additional punitive diesel taxes will be introduced in the short to mid term and being honest it would be political suicide for any Government or political party to adopt such a policy due to the number of voters who drive diesel cars.

Also don't be under any disillusion that PHEV/EV drivers are some how going to continue driving their cars on the cheap. The motorist is a constant stream of revenue in this country and as ICE vehicles eventually dwindle and disappear through natural progression to other methods of propulsion you can be sure new forms of taxation will be introduced to balance the Revenue books.

Now rather than ruining another thread by veering off into another EV v diesel discussion lets get back on track. I'm sure the OP will post a thread in the EV forum if he wants EV advice.

Nail on the head there Bazz, the amount of times these last couple of months I've noticed posters somehow having inside knowledge how the budget will look like, try and steer people who are clearly in diesel territory into purchasing other forms of fuel simply cause they believe diesel will be destroyed in the budget.

So, ahem, cough cough, Juke, Jazz or Note?

I suggest you take a test drive in an example of each. You will get a feel of them and ultimately only yourself can decide which one you prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Jap import Prius for 8k.
    Out of the Nissan's Juke as you don't meet the space, get the diesel.
    Honda jazz not sure the honda CVT in the auto box is trouble free.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm listening to this claim every few weeks or months, usually by the EV brigade who have become the new motoring equivalent of vegans. We get it, you like EVs but not everyone has to. Yet there is nothing to suggest that any additional punitive diesel taxes will be introduced in the short to mid term and being honest it would be political suicide for any Government or political party to adopt such a policy due to the number of voters who drive diesel cars.

Also don't be under any disillusion that PHEV/EV drivers are some how going to continue driving their cars on the cheap. The motorist is a constant stream of revenue in this country and as ICE vehicles eventually dwindle and disappear through natural progression to other methods of propulsion you can be sure new forms of taxation will be introduced to balance the Revenue books.

Now rather than ruining another thread by veering off into another EV v diesel discussion lets get back on track. I'm sure the OP will post a thread in the EV forum if he wants EV advice.

I drive a diesel (also electric of course).

Most people do not consider electric/hybrid. That's why it is worth discussing.

The only reason people drive diesel is because it's cheeeaaappp tax. The majority have no idea apart from that. Especially when posting about car warming up after 3-4km

Vegan's....haha, I think you should look closer to home. At least I posted options....not try to shove diesel down every posters throat....I didn't see any single poster(bar me) ask if the OP was in town driving or not. It was automatic shove diesel down throat.....

As I mentioned petrol/hybrid is option. SO is electric if charge point at work. Also diesel would be option....what is your issue with posting options?

• Advertisement

Giving options is one thing and nothing wrong with that but forcing the subject or trying to persuade people is another when some people just don't want that option or disagree with it. Then throwing speculation or hysteria into the mix with talk of punitive taxes just drags the thread off topic.

Anyway I've said my piece so I'm not going to comment anymore on it as it just contributes to dragging the thread off topic.

I drive a diesel (also electric of course).

Most people do not consider electric/hybrid. That's why it is worth discussing.

The only reason people drive diesel is because it's cheeeaaappp tax. The majority have no idea apart from that. Especially when posting about car warming up after 3-4km

Vegan's....haha, I think you should look closer to home. At least I posted options....not try to shove diesel down every posters throat....I didn't see any single poster(bar me) ask if the OP was in town driving or not. It was automatic shove diesel down throat.....

As I mentioned petrol/hybrid is option. SO is electric if charge point at work. Also diesel would be option....what is your issue with posting options?

No all of us don't, some got suckered into it that's true. You're simply painting everyone with the same brush.
    I've a diesel cause I do over 30k per year and my car warms up very quickly.
    As I said, if it takes you car 55km to warm up then you've a problem or you're talking nonsense. I suspect the latter.
    Anyway, enough of that.. sorry OP.

I'm looking for a two seat sports car something like an mx5 budget of 5grand somebody suggest a Ferrari 430 LOL

bazz26 wrote: »
    Giving options is one thing and nothing wrong with that but forcing the subject or trying to persuade people is another when some people just don't want that option or disagree with it. Then throwing speculation or hysteria into the mix with talk of punitive taxes just drags the thread off topic.

Anyway I've said my piece so I'm not going to comment anymore on it as it just contributes to dragging the thread off topic.

Please reference where I forced the subject?

How is recommending to spend less on diesel car hysteria? wasn't it posted here recently a main dealer didnt want to sell a diesel on PCP because of the questionable future of diesel?

Plugin hybrid cars are ther any under 30grand for a start so absolutely no relevance to the op secondly rubbish about warming up times and last the op does a lot of miles which is the complete opposite of wot an electric car is for

• Advertisement

Philb76 wrote: »
    Plugin hybrid cars are ther any under 30grand for a start so absolutely no relevance to the op secondly rubbish about warming up times and last the op does a lot of miles which is the complete opposite of wot an electric car is for

Outlander is available for a lot cheaper than 30k. Just one example. Also I only mentioned PHEV in regards to the toll.

To get to idea temp a diesel engine takes about 15 miles I think I seen last time. Just because your heating system is warm doesn't mean the engine is up to temp....

It's "what", not wot

Electric cars are of course for long distance, the more mileage the more savings. Loads of people have done huge mileage on electric cars without any issue. As I posted above I do a 100km+ round trip to work everyday using an electric car taking a very similar route. With free fast charging the cost savings can be huge but as I pointed out the network needs investment

The Leaf 1 & 2 are used as taxi's all around the country. Norway and other European countries have a huge ratio of electric to alternative fuels.

I can spell if u wanna b a smart arse it's ideal not idea

I think the Note has won me over. Reviews seem to be quite positive and it seems fairly spacious for what it is. While I do diesel distance I think the petrol will do me as it's about as economical as my Fiat is so I can live with that. Plus it seems by pushing the boat out a little I could even get a 2015 model if I was patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s the current model, yeah? They’re actually a nice car.

https://www.charleshurstgroup.co.uk/nissan/used-cars/8532859-nissan-note-1.2-acenta-premium-5dr/

Any opinions on the above folks? Any reason not to go to the north?

None at all.

VRT seems to be around €1650, so on the road at €10500

Stat code for VRT is 47785858

colm_mcm wrote: »
    None at all.

VRT seems to be around €1650, so on the road at €10500

Stat code for VRT is 47785858

Great, it'd be best to hold off until the start of next month, isn't that the case?

Not necessarily. If the car is low mileage it might even go up because the miles per month on the car would be lower and the car more valuable! (Strange anomaly of the VRT system, so a January 2015 car with 15k might have HIGHER VRT than a June 2015 identical car with 15k) You’re talking peanuts in the difference. I took a guess at march being the reg date on it. If you want it now buy it now!

Well I got the Note yesterday, delighted with it. Many thanks for all the help and suggestions folks, it was much appreciated.

Well wear with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement