Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Geographic Symphony for Our World - Gaelic Grounds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

looks class. excellent for the gaelic grounds and limerick city to bring this to the city.... should be spectacular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Looks fantastic and I've always loved the gaelic grounds as a venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

The rehearsal video of this looks great. Seems like a great night ahead with their milk market traders doing food and jazz and trad sessions also.

https://www.facebook.com/GaelicGrounds/videos/931803817026639/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Must be selling really badly with them offering an ‘All Ireland Champions 2 for the price of 1’ special!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

callaway92 wrote: »
    Must be selling really badly with them offering an ‘All Ireland Champions 2 for the price of 1’ special!!!!

That's not two tickets for the price of one that they are offering! They are referring to both the hurlers and lady footballers (both All Ireland champions) and their cups being in attendance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

tommy249 wrote: »
    That's not two tickets for the price of one that they are offering! They are referring to both the hurlers and lady footballers (both All Ireland champions) and their cups being in attendance

Haha ah jaysis my bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Between this, and the Munster game, the city coffers must be swelling by at least 20 million tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I was at the event last night. It was superb. A great mixture of visual imagery and music.

The Mackey Stand was about 80-90% full.

I only had a few gripes.... and it was about the audience.

o People arriving twenty minutes late, as if they were going to the cinema.

o The constant movement of people while the event was in progress. Going out for food and more food. I was in the front row. It was distracting. More akin to a soccer match.

The cold evening was also forcing many people home.

To be honest, I think the concert was wasted on many. Which is a pity.

Ticket prices were steep. I'd expect there were plenty of freebies or giveaways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

I was at the concert and I enjoyed it.. however a few observations.. totally overpriced at the beginning.. €206 for two tickets including booking fee..if it was priced originally st €40 a ticket it would have sold better... sold as a family event.. saw lots of small children aged 5/6 ish. They were seated in section 112 which was a poor view.. most left at the interval. Overall a good but expensive evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I was at the event last night. It was superb. A great mixture of visual imagery and music.

The Mackey Stand was about 80-90% full.

I only had a few gripes.... and it was about the audience.

o People arriving twenty minutes late, as if they were going to the cinema.

o The constant movement of people while the event was in progress. Going out for food and more food. I was in the front row. It was distracting. More akin to a soccer match.

The cold evening was also forcing many people home.

To be honest, I think the concert was wasted on many. Which is a pity.

Ticket prices were steep. I'd expect there were plenty of freebies or giveaways.

Agree with many of these observations.

Just to add that many people who attended chose to leave rubbish behind them.

Also, the organisers also must assume some responsibility for allowing some of the traders use single-use plastics, which created a large pile of waste at the end of the evening.

• Advertisement

Sorry to drag up a slightly old thread

The event made a financial loss, which is a great shame.

The County Board need to repay a €150k loan to Limerick City and County Council.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/364196/limerick-gaa-officials-vow-to-repay-overdue-150-000-loan-as-expeditiously-as-possible.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up a slightly old thread

The event made a financial loss, which is a great shame.

The County Board need to repay a €150k loan to Limerick City and County Council.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/364196/limerick-gaa-officials-vow-to-repay-overdue-150-000-loan-as-expeditiously-as-possible.html

I thought it was well attended did they say what was the main reason for the loss, poor attendance or organising cost over run?

Car99 wrote: »
    I thought it was well attended did they say what was the main reason for the loss, poor attendance or organising cost over run?

The news report didn't get into much detail.

It was a promotional success, but a financial loss maker.

My own personal opinion.... I reckon a lot of attendees had complementary or cut-price tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

they were selling tickets at half price leading upto the event and this angered a lot of people who had paid full price not sure what happened in regards to this afterwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Yeah it was a loss making event alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I didn't know they even cut the price of tickets.

I looked at booking 4 tickets when they announced it and tickets went on sale. 480+ inc Booking Fee. Not a chance. They priced them selves out of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Miike wrote: »
    I didn't know they even cut the price of tickets.

I looked at booking 4 tickets when they announced it and tickets went on sale. 480+ inc Booking Fee. Not a chance. They priced them selves out of the market.

Given they lost money on the event after having to cut the price of tickets, the price was right but the market was wrong?

And people wonder why there aren't concerts in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Given they lost money on the event after having to cut the price of tickets, the price was right but the market was wrong?

And people wonder why there aren't concerts in Limerick

Because people won't pay 120+ for a ticket to an event, in the Gaelic Grounds?
    I guess you're right. People like me are the problem.

That's insane money for what it was. If it was slightly cheaper I would have no hesitation attending as I was very interested but I can't justify that cost for that event in that venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Miike wrote: »
    Because people won't pay 120+ for a ticket to an event, in the Gaelic Grounds?
    I guess you're right. People like me are the problem.

That's insane money for what it was. If it was slightly cheaper I would have no hesitation attending as I was very interested but I can't justify that cost for that event in that venue.

They lost money having discounted tickets, ergo the discounting was the problem. I am assuming of course that the tickets were priced to at least break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

a lot of people were not happy with the pricing. tickets were expensive there is no denying, from memory ticket prices ranged from €60 - €120. they also had family tickets. but for an orchestra with 100 plus members that all need to be paid, construction of the Big Screens, along with operation, production and insurance costs its hard to see how an event like this could be priced much cheaper. For instance, Bell X1 in King Johns Castle are €40 plus, Nelly in the Big Top was about €50. Much smaller venues with smaller production & running costs along with less staff & band members to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

https://www.google.com/search?q=gaelic+grounds+concert&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE819IE819&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjlKiznsXgAhXnQRUIHXGFDe0Q_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=969#imgrc=xOoqn3NJJYG5vM:

Im pretty sure they sold 8 thousand tickets for it (see attached picture), surely if it was set up to just the Mackey Stand (and they filled it pretty much) and still made a loss then its down to the poor organisation who limited to that capacity?

again the weather playing the part, only the stand was used i imagine due to it being the only covered section in the stadium so they may have known it was going to fail in the first case but were willing to take the hit for the sake of just being able to host it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It was a bit of a random event to start with. I would have been more surprised if it was a major success.

Advertisement