Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera - Front or back facing?

Options
  • 03-07-2018 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying a camera for my bike.
    I recently had a motorbike dangerously weave between cyclists and cars in front of me along the cycle lane on the Grand canal.
    When I was able, I dared tell him that the cycle lane wasn't for motorbikes, his response was a back kick in an attempt to make me fall off my bike. I was a safe distance from him, so his kick was useless.

If I had a forward facing camera it would have recorded his reg and dangerous move, but I didn't, and annoyingly I forgot his reg by the time I reached work.

From people who have cameras, and most seem to have back facing cameras, what are your opinions on whether it would be more beneficial to invest in a front or back facing camera?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a fly 6 for the rear mounted on the seatpost and a gopro session mounted on a k edge garmin mount at the front. At a push I would have the rear only

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Invest in both. Lots of stupid things happen in front and behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Borderfox wrote: »
    At a push I would have the rear only

Because it show close passes better?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

90% of stuff for me anyway happens behind me so rear facing would be handier, the gopro is generally used for scenery or in a group eg education for new members

Invest in both. Lots of stupid things happen in front and behind.

Agreed, but the one I like is the new cycliq Fly 12ce for quality of image and ease of taking on and off the bike (I park a lot in town and remove everything from my bike each time), they're quite expensive so was only going to invest in one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fly 6 is stupidly easy to remove from a bike too. If you can pick up an old Shimano 1000 they're very discreet and also just slide off their mount for taking with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Even the old Fly 12 is pretty quick to take off - just a quick release like a go pro, although quicker release from their (expensive) outfront mount. I have the Aldi rip off of the original Fly 6 too - it's not great in the dark unless you do have an actual close pass. It's just a velcro strap, so super quick on and off. Both are decent lights too.

Again, if I had to pick one for solo, I'd pick rear. I made the decision for the Fly12 after realising I tend to put the children in front on me when out on the road.

The old Fly 12 and Fly 6 have been available at significant discount recently enough - not sure whether places still have stock though.

Just as "feel your pain" - the amount of motorbikes and scooters filtering up mandatory cycle lanes is getting ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Macy0161 wrote: »

Just as "feel your pain" - the amount of motorbikes and scooters filtering up mandatory cycle lanes is getting ridiculous.

I'm not sure what it was, but yesterday there seemed to be a lot of angry motorists and motorcylists on the road. The south quays were mental around five and I noticed a fair few motor cyclists using cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I use a front, it gets the idiots who dive in front of you while also catching the close passes reg plates.

Session 6 needs to drop soon, cmon GoPro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I got both over the last while, a GoPro knockoff for the front, and a Fly6 on the back.

The Fly6 far outweighs the GoPro as it's very easy to use, doubles as a light, easy to put on and take off, has good battery life and the functionality is simple and straightforward.

The GoPro hasn't got as good battery life and isn't really designed as a handlebar mount, so it's a little bit annoying in putting on and taking off, and it's not always clear if it's recording without stopping and having a good look at it.

However, the more interesting footage is usually at the front. I'm tempted by the Fly12, but it's too expensive for me. The Fly6 has captured most things that have happened, but doesn't always show close passes and never a left or right hook.

So if you can put up with some drawbacks or pay the extra, I'd go for a front camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Get two Yi Action Cameras with water proof cases (~€60 each https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CW4AVZK/). Leave the waterproof case on the bike and only take out the camera so only takes 20 secs to remove.

Get a saddle mount like this for the rear: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saddle-Rail-Mount-Aluminum-Bicycle/dp/B01HGKQM76/ and something for the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

axer wrote: »
    Get two Yi Action Cameras with water proof cases (~€60 each https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CW4AVZK/). Leave the waterproof case on the bike and only take out the camera so only takes 20 secs to remove.

Get a saddle mount like this for the rear: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saddle-Rail-Mount-Aluminum-Bicycle/dp/B01HGKQM76/ and something for the front.

Only problem with these is the battery life. You'll be charging them a lot, as I'd say you get 1 hour out of it recording 1080p 60. With a little more dropping to 30fps.

Fook that TBH.

The pressure clamp mounts are horrendous, especially with gloves/handful of gear. Get a waterproof camera that mounts int a cage. Session is mounted in a second not 30s of fiddling.

3/4 Turn or clamp cage, nothing else. Especially if running two cameras.

GoPro-Handlebar-Mount-Hero4-Session-Low-Profile.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I'm not sure what it was, but yesterday there seemed to be a lot of angry motorists and motorcylists on the road. The south quays were mental around five and I noticed a fair few motor cyclists using cycle lanes.

Yes, traffic seems heavier, and it would be nice if somehow mandatory cycle lanes could be policed / respected, on occasion. If not policing, maybe an ad.

buffalo wrote: »
    However, the more interesting footage is usually at the front. I'm tempted by the Fly12, but it's too expensive for me. The Fly6 has captured most things that have happened, but doesn't always show close passes and never a left or right hook.

So if you can put up with some drawbacks or pay the extra, I'd go for a front camera.

Thanks Buffalo, I also think a front facing camera makes more sense.

Only problem with these is the battery life. You'll be charging them a lot, as I'd say you get 1 hour out of it recording 1080p 60. With a little more dropping to 30fps.
    I charge each night my trip is a min of 40 mins each way - seems to be enough battery to do this fine. The longest ive done is about another 30 mins on top of my norm and it was still recording.

ED E wrote: »
    Fook that TBH.

The pressure clamp mounts are horrendous, especially with gloves/handful of gear. Get a waterproof camera that mounts int a cage. Session is mounted in a second not 30s of fiddling.

3/4 Turn or clamp cage, nothing else. Especially if running two cameras.

GoPro-Handlebar-Mount-Hero4-Session-Low-Profile.jpg
    I haven't found any issues opening and closing the waterproof cases of the Yi Action camera.

One camera front or back is not enough to capture many incidents so if you are going to go to the trouble of recording then you might as well get near full cover with two. I'd find it hard to justify spending the guts of €400 for two cameras though - €130 is much more reasonable - but each to their own.

I've clone and original cameras, 2nd hand Session is €70-90 and trounces the SJ/Amkovs and probably the Yis. The M20 is nearrrrly there but not just quite yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Mobius 2 gives me 2 hours recording time at 1080p 30fps.

I charge it overnight for the next day's commute (2 x 1hr journeys)

It has a slim form factor that makes it easy to velcro mount to the top of my helmet.

mp31 wrote: »
    Mobius 2 gives me 2 hours recording time at 1080p 30fps.

I charge it overnight for the next day's commute (2 x 1hr journeys)

It has a slim form factor that makes it easy to velcro mount to the top of my helmet.
    I had the same too but the camera only lasted me a year before refusing to power on. I tried replacing the battery to no avail and it seems many online are reporting the issue. Great camera though that i would have stuck with if I knew I could get 2-3 years out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement