Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, are you going to report your neighbour for using their hose where it's banned?

• 03-07-2018 11:19am

I will!

Tired of the boy racers washing their knacker spoiler souped-up cars ten times a week and all the other tattoo-wearing, weight-lifting "Can't pay, won't pay" tax-dodging howayas with their 10-year-old howaya Beemers/Hyundais/Mazdas/Hondas who think this treated water arrives magically and for whom the concept of 'conserving water' is something only all the "snobs" do.

Ireland's hosepipe ban everything you need to know
    How is it enforced?
    People can report their neighbours or anyone they see breaking the ban. A tip line to report excessive water use is available at 1850 278 278.

Actually, feck that: if Irish Water is going to charge me extra for phoning a 1850 number ("CallSave number". my eye!), the howayas can put their Beemers, spoliers, hubcaps and everything else into their swimming pools and shower them. Another myopic decision.

Will you report somebody for using a hosepipe where it has been banned? 212 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    23%
    neacy69joblessMickerookenmcmdebetsLux23Cee-Jay-CeeAmiranijukeSuperS54GannicusCruelCoinMuppet ManbyhookorbycrookirelandroverwetlandsboyBadger2009mad muffinshocksyDarthvadar 50 votes
    Yes I would, but I'm not going to ring that expensive number so No.
    76%
    Simi_Kaiser_ShredChong[Deleted User]SkatedudeCalhounspatchcojam_mac_jambig sykeNeilwInfinitonkpillsBalmed OutTerrorFirmerWombatmanclio_16vevil_seedhatrickpatrickuncle_sam_ie 162 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

No
    I'll report that c@nt for taking a sh1t if I have to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Snitches get stitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Flat out watering 50m of newly laid concrete here all morning, haven't had time to report anybody yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

"Irelands hosepipe ban"

Just in Dublin tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Got distracted while watering the flowers yesterday evening and woke up to a fairly flooded garden this morning.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Actually, feck that: if Irish Water is going to charge me extra for phoning a 1850 number ("CallSave number". my eye!), the howayas can put their Beemers, spoliers, hubcaps and everything else into their swimming pools and shower them. Another myopic decision.
    That link still refers to Eircell FFS :rolleyes:

I wouldn't report, unless there was something in it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

"Irelands hosepipe ban"

Just in Dublin tho?

Northern Ireland too.

Stocks are pretty low in my neck of the woods too but there's a big golf match on this week and they don't want the Yanks having to wash themselves with a rag on a stick, so we can waste all the water we want until Sunday at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Isn't having water at the end of the month something for you?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Isn't having water at the end of the month something for you?

No, I mean hard cash, Dudley Do-Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

No
    I haven't seen anyone use a hosepipe over the last few weeks, so not sure any of my neighbours would flout the ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Lux23 wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone use a hosepipe over the last few weeks, so not sure any of my neighbours would flout the ban.

Report them anyway just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Where are the ads on tv for

If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I'll just use their hose.

They won't think of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

If we report them do we get to use a hose ourselves as a reward? My bike is filthy and it depresses me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Rory28 wrote: »
    If we report them do we get to use a hose ourselves as a reward? My bike is filthy and it depresses me.

Bucket, tap, cloth... OK? OK!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Rory28 wrote: »

Ask your neighbour to clean it for you, then report them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

"Irelands hosepipe ban"

Just in Dublin tho?

Greater Dublin, which seems to include large parts of Kildare and Wicklow as well, possibly bits of some other counties as well, didn't look that closely

Map here https://www.water.ie/news/irish-water-confirms-wate-1/GDA-map.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Instead of just a hosepipe ban why are Irish Water not making suggestions on how to conserve water . A campaign to educate people on turning off taps , showering for shorter periods , filling dishwashers and washing machines , putting a basin in the sink to catch the running water and water the plants with it
    So much we can do to help ease the pressure .

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mackmatic

Tired of the boy racers washing their knacker spoiler souped-up cars ten times a week and all the other tattoo-wearing, weight-lifting "Can't pay, won't pay" tax-dodging howayas with their 10-year-old howaya Beemers/Hyundais/Mazdas/Hondas who think this treated water arrives magically and for whom the concept of 'conserving water' is something only all the "snobs" do.

My oh my are you projecting out the arse with this little excerpt above. Who the **** are you talking about exactly? People who look after their cars or what?

How insecure or self conscious do you really have to be to type all that. Were you bullied in school by the "Howaya" car kids? I get what you were gong for with your funny sassy joke OP, but I think you have some deep rooted issues here pal.

What a howaya Hyundai is I have no idea either.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Instead of just a hosepipe ban why are Irish Water not making suggestions on how to conserve water . A campaign to educate people on turning off taps , showering for shorter periods , filling dishwashers and washing machines , putting a basin in the sink to catch the running water and water the plants with it
    They are.
    https://www.water.ie/for-home/conservation/be-water-smart/
    It doesn't generate as many headlines though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I saw council workers hosing down the street, should I report them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I thought the meters they put in a few years ago proved that we actually use very little water. I've yet to meet someone who leaves taps on when not in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I thought the meters they put in a few years ago proved that we actually use very little water. I've yet to meet someone who leaves taps on when not in use.

No neither do I but yesterday I put a basin in my sink and caught all the water while running the tap to rinse things or waiting for cold or hot etc
    I emptied it 5 times on the plants over the course of the day and was amazed how much actually was going down the drain my

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Local council were watering plants Sunday morning, as a nationwide ban was being announced on the radio. Was quite tempted to report.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

No
    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I saw council workers hosing down the street, should I report them?

They use water from the canal/river - it isn't treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Life is too short to be reporting people for less than criminal/life threatening behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Lux23 wrote:
    They use water from the canal/river - it isn't treated.

They were using a stand pipe connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'd say that after sitting there a few days there was a fair amount of piss in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mackmatic

Can I have their house if I report someone and the tip checks out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No, I mean hard cash, Dudley Do-Right.

Isn;t the rest of us having water at the end f the month rewarding for you? And cash will not water the garden,

Graces7 wrote: »
    And cash will not water the garden,

It can, if you buy enough bottled water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

What will reporting someone do exactly, do they just issue a fine or a warning to the address without any more evidence or will they be staking out houses or what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Dear Lisa - As I write this, I am very sad. Our free water has been overthrown...AND REPLACED BY THE BENEVOLENT NEIGHBOURHOOD HOSE PIPE WATCH DOGS. ALL HAIL THE HOSIES AND THEIR GLORIOUS NEW REGIME!! Sincerely, LITTLE GIRL

SexBobomb wrote: »
    What will reporting someone do exactly, do they just issue a fine or a warning to the address without any more evidence or will they be staking out houses or what ?

From listening to the Irish water spokesperson on the last word last week I got the impression they don't really know themselves and are desperately hoping it won't have to come to any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

if irish water cant be bothered repairing a leak on the footpath near me which has been leaking for 3-4 years why should i bother to save water oh wait if its repaired the leak the dogs wont have any fresh water when they are out for a walk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Only if they use it on my wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Greater Dublin Area. What's so great about it anyways?

• Advertisement

I was informed at a local residential meeting that there are systems of pipes in our area which haven't been changed since the British left Ireland.... is that true? That even during boom time Ireland, they couldn't be bothered to replace the pipes.

I was informed at a local residential meeting that there are systems of pipes in our area which haven't been changed since the British left Ireland.... is that true? That even during boom time Ireland, they couldn't be bothered to replace the pipes.

Fixing pipes isn't as sexy as dem new moshurways or dem big shiny buildings.

They'd only notice a leak in the system here if water was gushing up into air like a geyser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No
    Damn straight I will. I haven’t let my lawn turn into dry hay, so my fat FÜCK of a neighbor can waist water in these drought times.

Here in the midlands it’s been totally dry and almost 30° every day. Everything is as dry as a nuns poonany.

Certainly from what I know it's true.

People are giving out a lot to Irish water (and I do believe they deserve a lot of criticism) but the infrastructure was in a terrible state long before Irish water ever came around.

Decades of poor maintenance and lack of investments. There really is no need for a country with our climate to ever suffer from any kind of water insecurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,300 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Depends on how much I dislike the neighbour!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Everyone complaining about their cars/bikes getting dirty, hit me up, I've an 8 year old who wants to earn a few quid and cleans it with sponge and bucket for a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

No
    my neighbour is gone on holidays for two weeks..... ill report him anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Award! -- Award Award Award Award

Photo. Photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Will be buying this from Lidl.

Plan to empty and fill daily

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=10208

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

No
    Nobody said anything about water-cans though?

• Advertisement
Advertisement