Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, are you going to report your neighbour for using their hose where it's banned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Yes I would, but I'm not going to ring that expensive number so No.
    Lux23 wrote: »
    They use water from the canal/river - it isn't treated.

Interesting point - I have an ancient well in my back garden, if I rigged it up to a pump and used that to hose something, would it count as illegal?

Presumably well water is ok for watering plants, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I wonder would there be any water shortages today, if over the last few years they had just concentrated on fixing underground leaks instead of wasting hundreds of millions installing the water meters that nobody wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Rules for fools, guidelines for the wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

I was informed at a local residential meeting that there are systems of pipes in our area which haven't been changed since the British left Ireland.... is that true? That even during boom time Ireland, they couldn't be bothered to replace the pipes.

They were busy spending the boom money inducing the selfish to keep voting Bertie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

jobless wrote: »
    my neighbour is gone on holidays for two weeks..... ill report him anyway

Connect your hose to his outside tap, give your lawn a good overnight soaking, then report them ****ers

Seriously though, the Americans can make the desert bloom in Nevada, the Arabs do similar and more in Dubai. Here, in the land of the constant pissings of rain and six inches of puddle everywhere, including the motorways, it actually stops raining for ten days or so in June/July, and there's a water crisis. 'Sake, like. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

jimgoose wrote: »
    Seriously though, the Americans can make the desert bloom in Nevada, the Arabs do similar and more in Dubai. Here, in the land of the constant pissings of rain and six inches of puddle everywhere, including the motorways, it actually stops raining for ten days or so in June/July, and there's a water crisis. 'Sake, like. :pac:

It's not a lack of water, it's mismanagement of water that's the real issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Yeah but how are you going to explain that to the tourists that the crappy electric showers in their subpar AirBnBs will have even less water pressure now :pac:

wexie wrote: »
    It's not a lack of water, it's mismanagement of water that's the real issue.

Although in all fairness it goes to show how unusual it is, inasmuch as when it does stop raining for a couple of weeks there's a problem with farming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

In America they've also totally dammed and drained their rivers to make the desert bloom.

The water from Colorado river carved the grand canyon but rarely even reaches the sea anymore.

Similarly there are years where the Rio Grande doesn't even reach the sea.

As for Dubai, anything is possible when you've effectively an infinite pile of money to spend. The infrastructure and energy costs for their desalination /air con /water treatment must be eye watering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Although in all fairness it goes to show how unusual it is, inasmuch as when it does stop raining for a couple of weeks there's a problem with farming.

It is of course very unusual (sadly) I guess if it was more common the water infrastructure wouldn't have gotten to be in such a state.

Poor farmers are having a pretty tough year I'd say.

It is of course very unusual (sadly) I guess if it was more common the water infrastructure wouldn't have gotten to be in such a state.

Poor farmers are having a pretty tough year I'd say.

From 2017: "Agriculture, in all its forms, has by far the greatest negative impact on water quality. To pretend otherwise would be foolish and wrong."

Yup. Poor farmers. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

There hasn't been any significant rain in the dublin region since mid-april...so that's 2.5 months, not a couple of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

SexBobomb wrote: »
    What will reporting someone do exactly, do they just issue a fine or a warning to the address without any more evidence or will they be staking out houses or what ?

I wonder who will do the staking out houses though, or driving around looking for people with hoses.
    The Councils hate IW, can't see them doing it.
    IW just has 700 odd administrative engineer bureaucrats. It's beneath them. A few contractors?

Water meter readings aren't evidence of a hose use, you might have had a bath to cool down.

I think they're bluffing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

From 2017: "Agriculture, in all its forms, has by far the greatest negative impact on water quality. To pretend otherwise would be foolish and wrong."

Yup. Poor farmers. ;)

Go out and Hunter gather for yourself so. See how far you get.

I wonder who will do the staking out houses though, or driving around looking for people with hoses.
    The Councils hate IW, can't see them doing it.
    IW just has 700 odd administrative engineer bureaucrats. It's beneath them. A few contractors?

Water meter readings aren't evidence of a hose use, you might have had a bath to cool down.

I think they're bluffing.

They don't have anyone as of yet, spokeswoman for IW was on the last word on Friday saying that if this keeps up they may have to look into hiring people and figuring out what authority to give them (and how)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They don't have anyone as of yet, spokeswoman for IW was on the last word on Friday saying that if this keeps up they may have to look into hiring people and figuring out what authority to give them (and how)

They haven't got a Scooby Doo so. That sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Surprised to see the results, thought it’d be more 50/50.

I’m in the No camp. I just wouldn’t report someone, not sure why.

Go out and Hunter gather for yourself so. See how far you get.

You missed the point completely. Farmers have done more to damage the water sources of this country than anybody else... But sure, let's ignore that little tidbit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You missed the point completely. Farmers have done more to damage the water sources of this country than anybody else... But sure, let's ignore that little tidbit.

I thought that was FF and their political pay off's to win vote's?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Only if they use it on my wife.

There’s no need for that. It puts the lotion on, or it gets the hose. it’s just how it goes.

Would I report my neighbour? No, because apparently we’re all mountjoy graduates, and reporting ar$eholes and scumbags so they are taken care of would make me a snitch. So no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

No
    I will

Actually, feck that: if Irish Water is going to charge me extra for phoning a 1850 number ("CallSave number". my eye!), the howayas can put their Beemers, spoliers, hubcaps and everything else into their swimming pools and shower them. Another myopic decision.

Call 01-7072828 instead

They haven't got a Scooby Doo so. That sounds about right.

Not a glimmer, as usual. Glass palaces, the ear of Government and delusions of adequacy. Hence the bit of a media to get people to tell on each other.

Jeez
    I can see that being a popular move!

Private contractors with temporary authorization, to enter private property to see if someone has a hose watering flowers or a paddling pool at the back of the house...

This could be gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Jeez I can see that being a popular move!

Nothing like a gob****e with a hi viz and a clipboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

We had water bans in California in the 80's when I was growing up. The cops would issue tickets if they caught you washing your car. It was funny a lot of people took to washing their cars quietly at night, like at 3am.

We had water bans in California in the 80's when I was growing up. The cops would issue tickets if they caught you washing your car. It was funny a lot of people took to washing their cars quietly at night, like at 3am.

Could care less about my car, but my weed plants are looking a bit dry :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's a sure fire way of further enhancing the feud some neighbours seem to thrive on in Ireland. Thankfully not much of that in my neck of the woods, and I don't see anyone flouting the ban, even in the few weeks up to the ban. My water buts have kept the garden green up to now, but I'm running low.

Dublin needs massive investment in repairs to it's ancient waterworks. The rest of the country seem horrified at the amount of leaks, but I'm not sure If they'll approve of millions of the cities euros that a lot are very dependent on being spent on fixing the leaks.

The greater Dublin area including Kilare, Wicklow and Meath needs a new source of water even if every single leak is fixed.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Surprised to see the results, thought it’d be more 50/50.

I’m in the No camp. I just wouldn’t report someone, not sure why.

Figured it out. In a country where conserving water is not a habit, it’s easy to have a brain fart and turn on the hose, even if you noted the warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭appledrop

Why the hell would you report on your neighbours it's ridiculous. Communities should stick together not snitch on each other.Report there last week that 57% of water lost in greater Dublin area to pipe leaks. What a joke. I will obey the ban but it won't make any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭mea_k

No because its the only way ferral children get washed behind my fence.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Nothing like a gob****e with a hi viz and a clipboard.

And the thought they've a bit of power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

If I saw my neighbour using their hose during the ban I'd say "well if she's going to use hers then I'm going to use mine".
    Not a hope I'd grass up my neighbours and they wouldn't do it to me either -- personally I think this whole thing is a big overreaction and is overall stupid.

The country is a disaster --

It can't handle a storm
    It can't handle snow
    and now, it can't handle the sun.

Every "extreme" weather forecast needs to be taken with "extreme" measures and every mediterranean country is probably laughing at the state of us trying to survive 2 weeks of sun when we have rain every week year in, year out. It's a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The hosepipe ban isn't an overreaction it's a measure to reduce water use so the current stock of water will last till the next rain. Otherwise they have to turn the water off

If I saw my neighbour using their hose during the ban I'd say "well if she's going to use hers then I'm going to use mine".
    Not a hope I'd grass up my neighbours and they wouldn't do it to me either -- personally I think this whole thing is a big overreaction and is overall stupid.

The country is a disaster --

It can't handle a storm
    It can't handle snow
    and now, it can't handle the sun.

Every "extreme" weather forecast needs to be taken with "extreme" measures and every mediterranean country is probably laughing at the state of us trying to survive 2 weeks of sun when we have rain every week year in, year out. It's a joke

Do we really need to keep going over this? Countries that get extreme cold and hot weather frequently invest in combating measures because it’s worth their while.

Additionally, some hot countries DO have water restrictions. Actually, it’s standard in some countries. I’ve worked with Australians who were shocked at how much water we waste in this country because they were used to living with water restrictions.

Do we really need to keep going over this? Countries that get extreme cold and hot weather frequently invest in combating measures because it’s worth their while

No we don't need to take the same measures as for example Spain or Finland when it comes to weather.

Doesn't mean it's acceptable for large percentages of our drinking water to just leak out of the system either though?

No we don't need to take the same measures as for example Spain or Finland when it comes to weather.

Doesn't mean it's acceptable for large percentages of our drinking water to just leak out of the system either though?

That was my point. For the most part, extreme measures aren’t required in Ireland.

It’s not right that leaks are happening but saying it’s not right doesn’t help the immediate problem, does it? The restrictions aren’t that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Everyone cutting back a bit isn’t much of an imposition. We blithely waste water in this country anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Weather extremes had a more frequent occurrence in recent years. Maybe it's time to stop burying the heads in the sand and face the reality that warmer summers and colder winters could be a lot more common in the next decade.
    And of course, first and foremost it would be essential to fix the ancient water infrastructure.
    And if they're at it, it would be nice to get streets that aren't crumbling apart when it's frosty or melting when there is a bit of sunshine on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cbreeze

All the lawns are yellow round here so I have nobody to report. I hope nobody throws a lighted cigarette over our front fence - there will be a good old blaze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Do we really need to keep going over this? Countries that get extreme cold and hot weather frequently invest in combating measures because it’s worth their while.

Additionally, some hot countries DO have water restrictions. Actually, it’s standard in some countries. I’ve worked with Australians who were shocked at how much water we waste in this country because they were used to living with water restrictions.

We had water metres in Germany and we were very careful not to waste water . We knew how to recycle it for plants and shorter showers and stop water draining away for now reason . It's actually very easy when you are in the habit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We had water metres in Germany and we were very careful not to waste water . We knew how to recycle it for plants and shorter showers and stop water draining away for now reason . It's actually very easy when you are in the habit

We have water meters too but no cost ,no usage figures and hence no consequences

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Exactly, we’re just not in the habit. Some people seem to be suggesting that there aren’t water restrictions in other countries - LOL.

The whole thing is a bit of a farce. They are going on + on about hosepipe ban but in reality it's not going to save that much water. It's not really fair putting all the blame on households when business + farmers are not restricted. A dairy cow needs 120 litres of water a day :eek: Look I'm not giving out we all drink milk + have to look after the animals but think of how many cows are in Ireland + quantity of water needed for them. A few less car washes + watering plants won't help that much. I get why we have to have these restrictions in place but even with this dry spell the amount of water that falls in Ireland throughout the year is unreal. We need to store it better + fix all the leaks!

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    The whole thing is a bit of a farce. They are going on + on about hosepipe ban but in reality it's not going to save that much water. It's not really fair putting all the blame on households when business + farmers are not restricted. A dairy cow needs 120 litres of water a day :eek: Look I'm not giving out we all drink milk + have to look after the animals but think of how many cows are in Ireland + quantity of water needed for them. A few less car washes + watering plants won't help that much. I get why we have to have these restrictions in place but even with this dry spell the amount of water that falls in Ireland throughout the year is unreal. We need to store it better + fix all the leaks!

I think cruelly letting valuable livestock dehydrate and starving job reliant industries of economic importance of water is different to washing your car or watering your grass.

A few less car washes and watering of lawns will save millions if not billions of litres. This might help farms and businesses balance the economy.

And feed us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

So the nation wide ban starts on Friday, so I can leave the tap on for the next 24 hours on my lawn, should help it some bit.

Of course the animals have to be looked after. Im just trying to put it into perspective that us households not watering gardens etc is not going to magically solve it. They will still be a huge demand on water.

appledrop wrote: »
    Of course the animals have to be looked after. Im just trying to put it into perspective that us households not watering gardens etc is not going to magically solve it. They will still be a huge reduced demand on water.

There, that's for you now. (is there a smug prlck face? maybe this one... :roll eyes:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement