Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, are you going to report your neighbour for using their hose where it's banned?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

appledrop wrote: »
    Of course the animals have to be looked after. Im just trying to put it into perspective that us households not watering gardens etc is not going to magically solve it. They will still be a huge demand on water.

But the water being given to cattle etc. etc. isn't supplied by Irish Water. They're not trying to manage to amount of water available in the country, they're trying to manage the amount of water they have available to supply to people.

A farmer watering his cattle somewhere in Longford won't impact on what's available in the reservoir in Stillorgan. And that's what Irish Water is concerned about.

Also they've feck all authority over people's wells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Yes I would, but I'm not going to ring that expensive number so No.
    The real question is.

Is anyone gonna obey the ban? Like ****!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

MarkY91 wrote: »
    The real question is.

Are you not going to bother?

Our community is making a concerted effort to. We also helped each other out on the snow and the storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

wexie wrote: »
    But the water being given to cattle etc. etc. isn't supplied by Irish Water. They're not trying to manage to amount of water available in the country, they're trying to manage the amount of water they have available to supply to people.

A farmer watering his cattle somewhere in Longford won't impact on what's available in the reservoir in Stillorgan. And that's what Irish Water is concerned about.

Also they've feck all authority over people's wells.

100s if not thousands of farms connected to mains.

Factory's use an obscene amount of water, 10s of thousands of litres per day producing non essential things that are exported, they should be first to suffer shortages I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Bredabe

No, I've only just been forgiven for my stance over the #repeal ref.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

100s if not thousands of farms connected to mains.

All the more reason for us to stop watering our lawns and washing our cars to preserve water for indigenous agriculture.
    Factory's use an obscene amount of water, 10s of thousands of litres per day producing non essential things that are exported, they should be first to suffer shortages I think

So, your lawn and clean car is more important than thousands of jobs?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    All the more reason for us to stop watering our lawns and washing our cars to preserve water for indigenous agriculture.

So, your lawn and clean car is more important than thousands of jobs?

I haven't washed my car in about 2 years
    I meant shortage like my water is cut off from 00:00 to 06:00 the last few nights. Won't be happy it's cut off during day time hours but the factory down the road making carpets is using 1000litres an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i called into a neighbours on the way home this evening. she starting to water the flowers so helped carry the buckets for her. for her hanging baskets and window boxs and a huge number of pots everywhere we only used about 50 liters of water.

the farmer on one side has 300 cows (200 milking)

other side 200

other side 150

so 650 cows in a very small area. thats 65thousand liters a day just for the cows.

i dont think her 50 liters will make that much of a diference

I haven't washed my car in about 2 years

Great! Just don't decide to wash it now!!
    I meant shortage like my water is cut off from 00:00 to 06:00 the last few nights. Won't be happy it's cut off during day time hours but the factory down the road making carpets is using 1000litres an hour

I'm sorry you won't be happy. But there's a water shortage.

What's the factory "down the road"? or is this a hypothetical, pretend factory. How many do they employ?
    i called into a neighbours on the way home this evening. she starting to water the flowers so helped carry the buckets for her. for her hanging baskets and window boxs and a huge number of pots everywhere we only used about 50 liters of water.

the farmer on one side has 300 cows (200 milking)

other side 200

other side 150

so 650 cows in a very small area. thats 65thousand liters a day just for the cows.

i dont think her 50 liters will make that much of a diference

If we all had your attitude and lets say three million households using 50 litres to water their pots do you think it will make that much of a difference?

That's one hundred and fifty million litres.

Real factory in the village a few miles away, not sure how many works there maybe 20 people. Just saying, I can't have a shower in the mornings but they use obscene amounts of it to make bloody carpets! I'm sure the carpets can wait a while, humans and animals should be prioritized, non essential stuff like carpets should be cut off. The factory uses enough in an hour to shower the whole village for weeks

• Advertisement

Real factory in the village a few miles away, not sure how many works there maybe 20 people. Just saying, I can't have a shower in the mornings but they use obscene amounts of it to make bloody carpets! I'm sure the carpets can wait a while, humans and animals should be prioritized, non essential stuff like carpets should be cut off. The factory uses enough in an hour to shower the whole village for weeks

Fair enough. I'm still unsure if business that actually do pay water rates should be compromised for lawns and car washes, I wasn't aware there were water saving reductions that prevented people from having showers.

What area are you in in Ireland that there's forced reduction that prohibits showering?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No
    The real question is.

Which means you have no intention of obeying the ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Take a bath instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

No
    Just got soaked trying to reposition the sprinkler. It's watering the hedge, the grass, the car and half the driveway!

Just got soaked trying to reposition the sprinkler. It's watering the hedge, the grass, the car and half the driveway!

Be sure to aim it down the drain when you think they have enough, that's what most of us do, allegedly.

The real question is.

I am. It's the decent thing to do, just as clearing snow off our front paths six months ago so old people, whose injuries take much longer to heal, don't fall was the civically responsible thing to do then. As far as I can see, all my neighbours are also abiding by it. Even if they weren't I'd still conserve water.

If we all had your attitude and lets say three million households using 50 litres to water their pots do you think it will make that much of a difference?

Well said. The abject ignorance of our interdependence and awareness that if each of us make a small change it adds up to a huge change is astounding.

No
    Not everyone gets free water! I have to pay for it.

No
    Just out of curiosity Fuaranach, how did you delete your post (was it "cant pay won't pay"). I have some old posts I would be glad to delete if I knew how! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

No
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Great! Just don't decide to wash it now!!

I'm sorry you won't be happy. But there's a water shortage.

What's the factory "down the road"? or is this a hypothetical, pretend factory. How many do they employ?

Nothing wrong with my attitude. My point is that the ones being forced to make the savings arnt even using 0.01% of the water.
    Of course it adds up

And the woman in question hasn't used one liter from the mains yet to water the flowers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I'll report that c@nt for taking a sh1t if I have to
    If we lived in Switzerland, you could after 10pm if it was a big one that made a big plonky splash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't have a garden so no impact here. I'm also out most of the day anyway so will be annoying if it's cut off when I do need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Scrapping water charges was a mistake.

All new houses should be built with provision for collecting rainwater for non-potable application. Eg flushing the toilet, watering the garden, washing the car even. The advantages to this from an overall environmental point of view are inarguable.

Existing houses, or most of them anyway, could be retrofitted with rainwater butts, small auxiliary tanks and pumps that could recycle rainwater for toilet use. But why would anybody go to the expense of that?

Well, if it would save them some cash on their water charges, then it would pay for itself extremely quickly. But seeing as it's all "free", why bother? What could go wrong?

Read the papers.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

FionnK86 wrote: »
    If we lived in Switzerland, you could after 10pm if it was a big one that made a big plonky splash.

Is this true by the way? That you can't flush a toilet in Switzerland after 10pm? Or is it just an urban myth?

I know the Swiss are in general an organised, regimented Germanic people but having the self discipline never to need the jacks at night is taking it a bit far.

Don't they have prostates? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Is this true by the way? That you can't flush a toilet in Switzerland after 10pm? Or is it just an urban myth?

I know the Swiss are in general an organised, regimented Germanic people but having the self discipline never to need the jacks at night is taking it a bit far.

Don't they have prostates? :confused:

Its an urban myth apparently

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thelocal.ch/20130522/rules-and-regulations-that-dog-tenants-in-switzerland/amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

No I wouldn't

What always gets on my tits with these type of bans is they only ever pick on the domestic consumers. Every one else is allowed to Fireman Sam.

Still watering Croke Park ffs - when its hay, I'll start snitching until then, they can FRO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What always gets on my tits with these type of bans is they only ever pick on the domestic consumers. Every one else is allowed to Fireman Sam.

Still watering Croke Park ffs - when its hay, I'll start snitching until then, they can FRO.
    The domestic customers use water that is filtered for human consumption. The water that'll be used to wash the peado cross in the Phoenix Park, and watering Croke Park, etc, won't be fit for human consumption, and will often be canal water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

This showering twice a day needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mosesposeses

I live in a rural area where many people are drawing water for their gardens and animals etc from the rivers and lakes in ibc's

• Advertisement
Advertisement