Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to instruct GDPR takedown from website without contact details?

• 03-07-2018 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭

As per the thread title, how do I manage to get personal information taken down from a website that has gone out of it's way to have no contact details - neither email, snail mail etc?

I checked domain name lookup and no contact email address associated with the domain name either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

As per the thread title, how do I manage to get personal information taken down from a website that has gone out of it's way to have no contact details - neither email, snail mail etc?

I checked domain name lookup and no contact email address associated with the domain name either.
    Make a complaint directly to the Data Protection Commission. Highlight to them the lack of contact details too as having easily accessible contact details is actually a requirement under the GDPR.

PM me with the domain and I'll see if I can find anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Is the doman hosted in the EU ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

PM me with the domain and I'll see if I can find anything.
    Done.
    Is the doman hosted in the EU ?
    Yes, hosted in Ireland by a well known irish hosting company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Done.

Yes, hosted in Ireland by a well known irish hosting company.

I assume you tried to ask the hosting company, they might assist. You might also put the take down request to them as well, they might be liable ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Are they displaying your details on a public page?

I assume you tried to ask the hosting company, they might assist. You might also put the take down request to them as well, they might be liable ...
    I have not tried as only investigated this yesterday. There were 2x listings on 2 separate sites. One came back within minutes saying that they had removed my details. The second one I couldn't contact - leading to this query. I'll contact the hosting company and see what they say.

Wheety wrote: »
    Are they displaying your details on a public page?

Yes, they're details (address/phone number/name) related to a business activity from the past. If anyone googles my number, this stuff will come up (and someone has done this in the past!...people can be nosy).
    I had tried to get this stuff removed a couple of years ago but was completely palmed off with bs with someone insisting they couldn't take it down.

The hosting company came back to me - they have messaged the website owner. I also put in a request for take down to the data protection commission. That should get it sorted...thanks for the info.

Here's an interesting one for you. The DPC came back to me. They say that as it appears that the offending web page is outside irish jurisdiction, they may not be able to bring about the removal of the information. They have asked for a transcript of communication with the web hosting company so perhaps they feel that they might be able to tackle it that way. Will post back in due course.

However, for right now, the take away is that there are circumstances where they may not be able to enforce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,600 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

However, for right now, the take away is that there are circumstances where they may not be able to enforce.
    From personal experience, the DPC is very keen to find every possible excuse where they may not be able to enforce.

They refused to take a complaint from me on content hosted by one multinational, as there was no 'evidence' this data was stored in Ireland, despite the CEO of the Irish operation speaking in public about how the Irish data centre was at the heart of their operation, and the billing of all content for Europe by the Irish operation.

They set the bar impossibly high.

• Advertisement
Advertisement