Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to grow sprouts - are these gone?

Options
  • 03-07-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I planted sprouts in my garden about 1.5months ago from a plant I got at a garden centre. I don't have any gardening experience and was just going off Youtube videos.

I only noticed today - after watching a video to get an idea of when the sprouts might be ready to be harvested - that where I should be looking for sprouts is infested with these horrible white insects that seem to shed a white kind of powder onto the soil.

I'd noticed the whiteish powder on the soil a while ago but didn't think to look for insects. Have they done the damage at this stage or can I salvage?

Image attachment thingy doesn't work for me so here is an Imjur link for photos of what I'm talking about

https://imgur.com/gallery/9mSs6Hi

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think it would be a bit early to expect Brussels sprouts to be ready as they usually develop in Autumn. The insects look like aphids which are a fairly common garden pest that sucks sap from a variety of plants. Ladybirds will eat them if you can collect some from some local nettles or tall grass where they usually congregate or some people make a solution with water and washing up liquid that is said to kill them. You can also just use your fingers to squash them. They do cause some damage to the plant but if your lucky it can recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Expect sprouts around Christmas or after. This year could affect your results due to hot weather and drought.

Advertisement