Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike, Industrial relations discussion Mod note in post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

It’ll be interesting to see if it is indeed just the ‘small’ amount of flights that get cancelled, bearing in mind they never made public the cancelled flights and we are only taking them for their word which doesn’t necessarily always merit the most... honest result. Remember, they could always cancel a few more flights tomorrow to Europe and blame it on whatever excuse they can come up with, knowing all along they would cancel them due to the strike. Although this wouldn’t make sense as passengers re-accommodated is a lot better than passengers sitting around an airport.

Also picketing will be very interesting to see, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Mebuntu wrote:
    If your friend was being attacked would you support your friend or look the other way and seek out a new friend

If his friend was a known bully then he deserves what he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I love Ryanair, honestly whatever you may think, it works. Has a formula, and if you obey the rules it's game on.

Now.... I'm not so sure. Going to Espana in Sep, always take the Ryanair flight because of timings. Took AL a few times, and there were ALWAYS delays, sub three hours obv which killed me. Like it was organised, but probably not, I'd better be pragmatic here and I know they have a good record generally.

So I might change loyalties to AL now.

But a few years ago I wouldn't travel with AL because of all THEIR strikes. Jayzis.
    If your friend was being attacked would you support your friend or look the other way and seek out a new friend :)
    Sweet baby jeebers....

I love Ryanair, honestly whatever you may think, it works. Has a formula, and if you obey the rules it's game on.

Now.... I'm not so sure. Going to Espana in Sep, always take the Ryanair flight because of timings. Took AL a few times, and there were ALWAYS delays, sub three hours obv which killed me. Like it was organised, but probably not, I'd better be pragmatic here and I know they have a good record generally.

So I might change loyalties to AL now.

But a few years ago I wouldn't travel with AL because of all THEIR strikes. Jayzis.
    I like them too but I only use them occasionally, if I get the flight for feck all and it's not much longer than an hour or so (because I find the seats uncomfortable after that, and I love to recline).
    I don't trust them with flights that are important to me (Christmas, holidays, important business etc).
    I'm going on holiday next week, I booked it about six months ago and paid a slight premium to travel with another carrier and will continue to do so until this thing is sorted 100%..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,438 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I like them too but I only use them occasionally, if I get the flight for feck all and it's not much longer than an hour or so (because I find the seats uncomfortable after that, and I love to recline).
    I don't trust them with flights that are important to me (Christmas, holidays, important business etc).
    I'm going on holiday next week, I booked it about six months ago and paid a slight premium to travel with another carrier and will continue to do so until this thing is sorted 100%..

You could be waiting quite a long time William

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I think Ryanair will bring in lots of scab pilots from other countries to keep most of the flights operating but this is not something that can be sustained long term if there are multiple strikes in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,438 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I think Ryanair will bring in lots of scab pilots from other countries to keep most of the flights operating but this is not something that can be sustained long term if there are multiple strikes in the near future.

The company is entitled to mitigate the results of industrial action.

Your description is despicable and shows poor judgement.

You could be waiting quite a long time William

I can wait, thankfully there’s plenty of choice out there...

Just listening to the Pilots union spokesperson on the radio and I think the pilots have already lost the fight. The big fight seems to be where to hold the meetings.

I would rarely, if ever use another carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

I meant the caliber of their union rep was below par. Not very coherent or forceful.
    I agree. It was probably the most pathetic and unconvincing performance by any union rep I have ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I agree. It was probably the most pathetic and unconvincing performance by any union rep I have ever heard.

Is there a recording available online?

Bob24 wrote: »

I’d imagine so. It was Morning Ireland on RTÉ radio 1

Probably available at https://www.rte.ie/radio1/morning-ireland/

Might not be up yet.

Cheers, the recording is here: https://cdn.rasset.ie/manifest/audio/2018/0712/20180712_rteradio1-morningireland-ryanairstr_c21397894_21397938_261_/manifest.m3u8

The rep is clearly not a good speaker indeed and she needs to up her game or find someone else to attend media interviews.

Wouldn’t say they have lost the fight just because of that performance though ...

The problem for the union is that their usual spokesperson is an Aer Lingus person through and through and, sure, they couldn't put him out there in this dispute. It would make things even more obvious.

The problem for the union is that their usual spokesperson is an Aer Lingus person through and through and, sure, they couldn't put him out there in this dispute. It would make things even more obvious.

There must be a few Ryanair pilots who have good communication skills, but the issue might be that pilots don’t want to expose themselves as they fear Ryanair will retaliate against them personally and it will negatively influence their career / work conditions.

What would become more obvious..?

Cheers, the recording is here: https://cdn.rasset.ie/manifest/audio/2018/0712/20180712_rteradio1-morningireland-ryanairstr_c21397894_21397938_261_/manifest.m3u8

The rep is clearly not a good speaker indeed and she needs to up her game or find someone else to attend media interviews.

Wouldn’t say they have lost the fight just because of that performance though ...
    Pretty bad alright, it wasn't even a tough interview, she just choked and ended up stuttering and talking rubbish.

There must be a few Ryanair pilots who have good communication skills, but the issue might be that pilots don’t want to expose themselves as they fear Ryanair will retaliate against them personally and it will negatively influence their career / work conditions.
    I'd be inclined to the view that Ryanair already knows who they are dealing with.

This problem may be unique in that IALPA was formed by and for the benefit of Aer Lingus pilots and, therefore, can never be seen as "neutral" where a dispute with another airline is involved.

I'd be inclined to the view that Ryanair already knows who they are dealing with.

They know alright, but between being internally identified as unhappy and becoming a public figure expressing the voice of the whole group, there is a big difference. I don’t see MOL as willing to accept that one of his pilots portray the company in the media differently from the official corporate line, even if it is done as a union representative rather than in their personal name. So I was one of the pilots I think I would be seriously comcerned about picking up any role in the union which requires media exposure.

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/RuthCoppingerTD/videos/1762350617188905/

Theyve got Solidarity in their corner so they’re really fecked.

This problem may be unique in that IALPA was formed by and for the benefit of Aer Lingus pilots and, therefore, can never be seen as "neutral" where a dispute with another airline is involved.

Michael...? Is that you...?

Michael...? Is that you...?
    :):):)
    Ah now, you're not going to dispute history are you?

From IALPA's own website:
    https://ialpa.net/history/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

:):):)
    Ah now, you're not going to dispute history are you?

From IALPA's own website:
    https://ialpa.net/history/

History is of zero relevance here. Sectoral trade unions often began as unions for a specific employer; broad unions often began as unions for a specific sector and possibly a specific employer in that union. Origins are not brought up as they have impact.

This argument has come up before and it is clutching at straws at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can I clarify something:
    The strike is because they want the older staff to get better treated than the new staff?

The last teachers strike was because the older staff are getting better treated ( because of a union agreement)

Is that correct ?

Also aren’t the older staff the only staff in the union as newer staff are agency they Actually stand to lose if the others get better treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bill, it’s always about money if you drill down.

Now you can put seniority issues, base changes on promotion an other stuff in there, but it’s money, Bill, always money.

What money are they looking for in this dispute...?
    This is about a seniority system...
    It’s to test the Union and build their numbers if they win the next strike will be about money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

ted1 wrote: »
    Can I clarify something:
    The strike is because they want the older staff to get better treated than the new staff?

The last teachers strike was because the older staff are getting better treated ( because of a union agreement)

Is that correct ?

Also aren’t the older staff the only staff in the union as newer staff are agency they Actually stand to lose if the others get better treated.

That is exactly how it appears to be.
    2 more strike days coming as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ted1 wrote: »
    Can I clarify something:

Its more that they'd like to have some structured system for how they are treated; even if it ends up being the same for everyone. Current system is cryptic even to those inside it. Leave is a fairly severe issue in an airline that hasn't got enough staff of course, that's rather unconnected to this...

Seniority systems for benefits of any kind are fundamentally wrong and the teachers are about the only work-group who are standing up to it - although their unions agreed to it originally as you said. Particularly any system that gives senior, experienced staff easier rides when new, less experienced staff are given the complicated stuff is actually illogical from a safety perspective. That's what traditional airline seniority does; and Dublin Buses system, amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

I'm flying Ryanair for the first time in two years soon (out of necessity), and the Flightradar24 history shows that the flight has been delayed significantly (30 minutes plus) 20 times in the last month. The average is about one hour late but some days the flight has been delayed by more than two hours.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    History is of zero relevance here. Sectoral trade unions often began as unions for a specific employer; broad unions often began as unions for a specific sector and possibly a specific employer in that union. Origins are not brought up as they have impact.

This argument has come up before and it is clutching at straws at best.
    I would disagree with your opinion as expressed above. History is proving to be very relevant in this dispute. On top of that the history of the, let me put it this way, "differences" between the IALPA president and Ryanair is very much relevant and in the public domain. If it is proven that the DAA received correspondence from him of upcoming disruptions to Ryanair flights before the pilots' ballot was even completed then that is also very significant.

I have no doubt that, if the boot was on the other foot, Aer Lingus management would not negotiate with anyone with Ryanair connections.

It would be interesting to know what airlines the Past Presidents listed on that IALPA page flew for.

It is also noticeable that "seniority" didn't count for anything in '97 and 2001 with "lowly" F/O and S/FO by-passing Captains for the position they had held for 50 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement