Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Faulty Item to Uk - Postage Cost Query

Options
  • 03-07-2018 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Hi I bought an android box online for £99 the shipping was via £6.00 via DHL Next Day Delivery (the only option on their site). However the box was faulty, the seller (entertainment box) said they don't refund the original postage. They also said they that they wouldn't cover my postage return, but after I said it says on their terms and conditions that they do, they said they would refund £3.95.

My understanding is that I should be refunded the original postage costs also by law, am I right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Pangea wrote: »
    Hi I bought an android box online for £99 the shipping was via £6.00 via DHL Next Day Delivery (the only option on their site). However the box was faulty, the seller (entertainment box) said they don't refund the original postage. They also said they that they wouldn't cover my postage return, but after I said it says on their terms and conditions that they do, they said they would refund £3.95.

My understanding is that I should be refunded the original postage costs also by law, am I right?

Did you pay with PayPal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're entitled to the entire cost including return - assuming you didn't use a forwarder like parcel motel. The retailer should be aware of the high return costs from Ireland before they sell here.

PayPal or credit card chargeback for the balance if they don't pay it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

They have no option but to return the minimum shipping fee option available to you.

If the had a 3,95 shipping option to Ireland, that's the refund cost, but if the only shipping option to Ireland was £6, they must by law refund that to you.

If the item is faulty, they must either arrange collection or re-imburse the return fee you spent.

That's one of the drawbacks if you are an online retailer and a retailer must accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

D3V!L wrote: »
    Did you pay with PayPal ?

Yes
    L1011 wrote: »
    You're entitled to the entire cost including return - assuming you didn't use a forwarder like parcel motel. The retailer should be aware of the high return costs from Ireland before they sell here.

PayPal or credit card chargeback for the balance if they don't pay it all

Oh I wasnt aware of that, how do you go about that?

CeilingFly wrote: »
    They have no option but to return the minimum shipping fee option available to you.

If the had a 3,95 shipping option to Ireland, that's the refund cost, but if the only shipping option to Ireland was £6, they must by law refund that to you.

If the item is faulty, they must either arrange collection or re-imburse the return fee you spent.

That's one of the drawbacks if you are an online retailer and a retailer must accept that.

Thanks lads I did use address pal and got it delivered in uk ,the min postage cost available was £6. (Obviously I am not looking for the Adress Pal refund)

When I told them it was law to cover the initial postage aswell this was their response
    "I can only provide information as what’s as per terms we offer. What you need is something we cannot do as postage cost original was paid on new item purchase and as you found fault and want to return so postage cost on returning up to £3.95 and product cost can be covered

Further reply
    "We don’t refund postage paid at the time of purchase as its in our company policy and i am sorry as not authorise to commit anything not as per company policy"

Thanks lads I did use address pal and got it delivered in uk ,the min postage cost available was £6

When I told them it was law to cover the initial postage aswell this was their response
    "I can only provide information as what’s as per terms we offer. What you need is something we cannot do as postage cost original was paid on new item purchase and as you found fault and want to return so postage cost on returning up to £3.95 and product cost can be covered

OK, you have a little issue.

If the minimum charge to a UK address is 3.95 and you used the addresspal uk address, then they are correct in offering 3.95 unless you can show that there was no such 3.95 option

Also, they would also be correct in only giving you the equivalent UK cost of return as they delivered to a UK address.

That's the drawback of addresspal and some places are now refusing to send items to "PO Box addresses including third party forwarding addresses" others may request further identification (we do)

But EU and UK law supercede any terms and conditions.

I'd simply return the item and look for a full refund and buy from a more reputable store.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    OK, you have a little issue.

If the minimum charge to a UK address is 3.95 and you used the addresspal uk address, then they are correct in offering 3.95 unless you can show that there was no such 3.95 option

Also, they would also be correct in only giving you the equivalent UK cost of return as they delivered to a UK address.

That's the drawback of addresspal and some places are now refusing to send items to "PO Box addresses including third party forwarding addresses" others may request further identification (we do)

But EU and UK law supercede any terms and conditions.

I'd simply return the item and look for a full refund and buy from a more reputable store.

Yes but the min cost was £6 for order delivery in Uk, which I paid.
    I am not looking for the cost to send from Ireland, since they offered 3.95 for return postage I was happy enough with that, but the fact they wont cover my initial £6 is where my problem lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I did use address pal and got it delivered in uk

Then you bought it in the UK and UK and EU law applies. After you bought it in the UK AddressPal imported it to Ireland on your behalf.

GarIT wrote: »
    Then you bought it in the UK and UK and EU law applies. After you bought it in the UK AddressPal imported it to Ireland on your behalf.
    Yes I am aware of that but Im still entitled to a refund of my delivery to address pal in Uk though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yes I am aware of that but Im still entitled to a refund of my delivery to address pal in Uk though

I'm not sure of the UK laws so can't comment on whether you're right. You can't really use your rights unless you were willing to travel to the UK to appear in the small claims court. In practical terms rights you can't enforce are useless to you.

All you can do is argue it out or try to get the money back on your card or through paypal as suggested above.

UK is still part of the eu, so eu distance selling laws apply.

• Advertisement

In the end they said they would refund the full refund, stupidly I didn't pay the extra 8euro to register the return, it still cost me €10 via normal return, one month later and they claim 'they 'never received my parcel', just wasted 140 € on this crowd. Avoid.
    I guess I havent a leg to stand on?? I asked an Post to investigate but without a tracking number I cant see them doing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

That sucks.
    Whenever I'm sending or returning anything with an post, I always ask myself ' can you afford for this to be lost in transit?' if no, take the hit and insure.

In the end they said they would refund the full refund, stupidly I didn't pay the extra 8euro to register the return, it still cost me €10 via normal return, one month later and they claim 'they 'never received my parcel', just wasted 140 € on this crowd. Avoid.
    I guess I havent a leg to stand on?? I asked an Post to investigate but without a tracking number I cant see them doing much.

OK guys I got my parcel back as return to sender , stamped by the Royal Mail saying they couldnt deliver it because it was 'not called for' meaning I think that it wasnt collected at the PO Box number.

So what should I do now? I spent 10€ returning it and that didnt work, I just opened a case with paypal.
    Do I have a good case to win a claim on paypal?

Paypal will rule in your favour.

Paypal said I am entitled to a refund but to send registered return to the seller, so I will have to spend 18€ to return it via registered post, not happy especially since I already tried to return it, dont even know if I will bother, even if they do get the return they will probably wiggle their way out of it saying its the box wasn't faulty etc. I asked E Box why wasn't my parcel collected on the first return I sent and they just replied 'thanks for your email'. Bad shower...

when they say registered, they mean trackable.
    A little cheaper...
    http://www.parcelmotel.com/prices/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Send it back and go the Paypal route. Better getting as much back as you can now rather than just leaving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Without going into too much detail on what you want it for, would a Firestick not do you?

I bought one last week and despite Amazon not selling them directly to Ireland, Netflix and Amazon Video worked straight out of the box. It's only £34.99 and the 4k one is £54.99.

I sent it via An Post Registered which was delivered today, just got an email from E Box saying
    Hello there nick.
    YOU AVE GONE OVER
    THE 30-DAY!

Goes to show you their disposition and what is a nick??

Im not responding to them
    Anyways Its them that has to respond to paypal so im interested what sort of game they will play to wriggle out of it.

Advertisement