Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examiners Shortage,true or just hyped up scarmongering headlines!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

But that's all common knowledge - lots of students ignore it no matter how many times they're told but I don't know any teacher who wouldn't emphasise those points all the time. I found there was absolutely no "inside" information or tips to be gained from marking Maths that aren't freely available in the marking schemes. I hear all the time from those marking other subjects that you learn a lot more about what "they're" looking for, but I did not find that to be the case at all for Maths. I did it purely as professional experience and would never do it again because it was pretty much worthless in that regard. I applied for my other subject in the hope it would be more beneficial but didn't get accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I've noticed that too. I get bemused looks if I bring it up at interview. Once in a face to face chat with my principal. Sure anyone can examine I was told by one.

Well it's true these days- 3 unqualified/non teachers in my group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Well it's true these days- 3 unqualified/non teachers in my group.

I think that anyone who marks is tuned in to the exams and knows what the standard is. They can say with reasonable confidence where a student stands and could give better direction to the students on the edges of grade boundaries about what would finish out their answers better to get a bit of a lift in marks.

It's better professional development than a lot of courses teachers head off on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I definately think so and that every teacher should do it at least once in their subject area.

I disagree profoundly until it is paid at a proper rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Yea I was just about to say something similar. Maybe it doesn't help my "teaching" but it definitely helps my students. Things like 180, units, drawing on diagrams, substituting into a formula etc can wrack up a few extra marks.

I mark and agree it defintely adds to my ability to prepare students for exams.
    Its the little nuance in my subject at least where I can show students techniques how to maximise marks even if writing very little because they didn't revise that topic / they're running out of time etc.
    100% colleagues feel there's invaluable "insider knowledge " for the coursework area at least which on the flip side is not right either because if you are not in a position to mark its unfair you & your students are disadvantaged because its such a closed shop

• Advertisement
Advertisement