Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shorts in the workplace?

• 03-07-2018 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

How does the baring of one's knees affect your ability to do your job? Why does society think it unprofessional?

I work in a call centre where we don't deal with out customers face to face and we're not allowed wear shorts. I know several teachers who say that they're dress code doesn't allow shorts. I'm not saying it's endemic and there are more important things, I'm just curious as to where it comes from when we don't seem to mind short sleeves.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

FunLover18 wrote: »
    How does the baring of one's knees affect your ability to do your job? Why does society think it unprofessional?

I work in a call centre where we don't deal with out customers face to face and we're not allowed wear shorts. I know several teachers who say that they're dress code doesn't allow shorts. I'm not saying it's endemic and there are more important things, I'm just curious as to where it comes from when we don't seem to mind short sleeves.

What type of shorts ?

Daisy Dukes on a female are ok but O Neil's shorts are never ok ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Couldn't give a flying fúck... as long as they have good personal hygiene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Who wears short shorts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

What type of shorts ?

And that is the nub of the problem. Some fooker will always go too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

It should be a criminal offense for a man to bare his legs (or feet) in public.

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »

Mankini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It should be a criminal offense for a man to bare his legs (or feet) in public.

Ehhh no.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

I wear shorts in work, and sandals, one of the few men who does.

I definitely notice people looking.

Yet every girl in my office and most in the canteen were wearing either shorts or sundresses with sandals and not an eye batted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Who wears short shorts..

The OP

bradley-cooper-short-shorts-on-set-american-sniper.gif

Kamu wrote: »
    I wear shorts in work, and sandals....

Now THAT's too far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

This is what happened in our place guy came in to work in soccer shorts. All of a sudden shorts were banned as not work appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Personally I couldn't care less to be honest, certainly not in a call center environment. I don't think shorts are what I would consider to be professional attire but meh....

The problem is (like pointed out) there'll always be one to push it too far.

hategetting-crap-for-wearing-daisy-dukes-its-niceoutandiliketoshowioffmybody-ican-do-21620338.png

So it's easier just to have a no shorts rule, otherwise you're guaranteed to end up with arguments over how short is too short etc. etc.

Shorts no issue in work, neither are sandals or flip-flops etc people wear what they want really and no one really cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

verycool wrote: »
    Now THAT's too far!

Sometimes....WITHOUT SOCKS
    😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

wexie wrote: »
    Personally I couldn't care less to be honest, certainly not in a call center environment. I don't think shorts are what I would consider to be professional attire but meh....

The problem is (like pointed out) there'll always be one to push it too far.

hategetting-crap-for-wearing-daisy-dukes-its-niceoutandiliketoshowioffmybody-ican-do-21620338.png

So it's easier just to have a no shorts rule, otherwise you're guaranteed to end up with arguments over how short is too short etc. etc.

classic tobias

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I never understood this whole "dress code" thing over here anyway.
    And in this weather, not being allowed to wear shorts should be a case for the European Court of Human Rights, in my view.

I don't care if you'e hairy legs, I may not like them but I don't have to look, do I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think its mad. the more comfortable you are the more productive you are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

During a heatwave in 1995 some bus drivers in Holland were not allowed wear shorts, so they turned up wearing skirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,163 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Who wears short shorts..

We like short shorts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Yeah exactly. Easier for them just to ban outright. Bloke I used to work with would come into the office and sit in his surfer shorts that looked like they were 10 years old for as long as he could (in other words until the boss was due in). Same bloke used to walk around in his socks as well with holes in them and when he was pulled up on it, claimed to have a fractured toe and couldn't wear shoes for long.

Dunno how he got through the interview process....then again he's a good spoofer.

Anyway, yeah....the above is why I understand employers just avoiding it completely. Depends on the job though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Tech sector checking in, we look homeless most of the time, it's great to be able to wear shorts in this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

JMNolan wrote: »
    Tech sector checking in, we look homeless most of the time, it's great to be able to wear shorts in this weather.
    Also tech sector, standard uniform is shorts and tshirts in this weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It would depend on what you do.

If you're in an office? Maybe.
    If you're an olympic swimmer? Probably not.
    If you're Viggo Mortensen on the set of GI Jane? Oh dear GOD, yes!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Depends on the office really. In fairness, if i went into a solicitors office or doctor say and met them wearing shorts I would probably find that unprofessional.
    I don't see a problem with shorts once you are not meeting clients of any sort.
    All you do is create a rule they must be "at least knee length". Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Depends on the office really. In fairness, if i went into a solicitors office or doctor say and met them wearing shorts I would probably find that unprofessional.

Sure whats the point if they have to be knee length

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You would actually encourage the wearing of the abomination that are Capri pants?

heroics wrote: »
    Sure whats the point if they have to be knee length

Because I don't want to look at my male colleagues full bare legs and shorts up to their arse crack.

You would actually encourage the wearing of the abomination that are Capri pants?

Ah well maybe knee length only.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shorts are the norm Down Under, but in manual labour kinds of jobs rather than offices.

I wouldn't begrudge the likes of bus drivers, posties or delivery drivers wearing them in this heat.

I was very happy for our postman, here in Limerick, who had a uniform of short-sleeved T-shirt and knee-length trousers. He looked very comfortable and still professional.
    Later in the day, I spotted a traffic warden who didn't seem to have that option - long sleeves and regular trousers - he didn't look so happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

I was very happy for our postman, here in Limerick, who had a uniform of short-sleeved T-shirt and knee-length trousers. He looked very comfortable and still professional.
    Later in the day, I spotted a traffic warden who didn't seem to have that option - long sleeves and regular trousers - he didn't look so happy.

That's just the guilt of being a traffic warden

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I would agree with on first instinct but on thinking about it, I don't get why we see it as unprofessional. A doctor or solicitor's capability has nought to do with the what they wear. I agree with a lot of posters that it comes down to the type of shorts, short shorts, surfer, sports, etc. But there is definitely a societal hang-up over male legs which I don't really understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

heroics wrote: »
    This is what happened in our place guy came in to work in soccer shorts. All of a sudden shorts were banned as not work appropriate.

Likewise. work in an office environment, I've been wearing chino shorts the last 10 days but suddenly one lads decides he can just dress for his after-work gym session and suddenly there's an email going around with the dress policy.

I work in an air conditioned office most of the time. Heatwave or blizzard the temp in here tends to be the same.
    On site shorts are not allowed, not even short sleeves.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I would agree with on first instinct but on thinking about it, I don't get why we see it as unprofessional. A doctor or solicitor's capability has nought to do with the what they wear. I agree with a lot of posters that it comes down to the type of shorts, short shorts, surfer, sports, etc. But there is definitely a societal hang-up over male legs which I don't really understand.

I don't think it's 'male legs' per se - I think it's hairy legs. If women wore skirts without shaving their legs, people would be equally appalled. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

No problem with shorts here - big Yank ICT R&D shop. I don't personally wear shorts at work because I don't like knee-length ones - as far as I'm concerned they miss the whole point of going air-cooled in the first place - and don't own any. I consider all my pairs of shorts too short for the office. And, I have better legs than most youngfellas half my age. Kiss my axe. :cool::cool::D

I don't think it's 'male legs' per se - I think it's hairy legs. If women wore skirts without shaving their legs, people would be equally appalled. :eek:

You reckon hairy male legs are appalling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I remember one casual Friday and a fella came in wearing shorts and a wife-beater top - dope, they got strict with the dress code after that.

Augeo wrote: »
    You reckon hairy male legs are appalling?

Not at all - I love hairy men - but I think some people have an issue with all types of body hair.

• Advertisement

Not at all - I love hairy men - but I think some people have an issue with all types of body hair.

Those people are weirdos.

I dunno, I don't think it's the hair that folk find appalling with lads in short at work. Many Irish chaps dress very poorly. Even is business environments you'll see plenty lads in cheap, poorly fitting suits accompanied with nasty, rubber soled shoes.

In smart casual offices it gets worse of course.

I wouldn't wear shorts to work myself but if I did I'd have some nice Chino style shorts accompanied with a decent pair of appropriate loafers.

You just know most would throw on beat up ole AV8s with white ankle socks and they'd look an absolute state, and the shorts would at best be something from next red tag sale from last Autumn.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's grand to wear shorts in my place, but people rarely do.
    The way the temperature fluctuates in this office, shorts may be a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I thought the title read 'shots at work' and was thinking this person is dedicated to boards, post first then run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I thought the title read 'shots at work' and was thinking this person is dedicated to boards, post first then run.

I actually read the title as "Sharts at work" and was wondering if people were walking around offices with sweaty **** stains on their pants. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I actually read the title as "Sharts at work" and was wondering if people were walking around offices with sweaty **** stains on their pants. :pac:

Sharts in loose fitting shorts can be dangerous.

Augeo wrote: »
    I dunno, I don't think it's the hair that folk find appalling with lads in short at work. Many Irish chaps dress very poorly. Even is business environments you'll see plenty lads in cheap, poorly fitting suits accompanied with nasty, rubber soled shoes.

In smart casual offices it gets worse of course.

I wouldn't wear shorts to work myself but if I did I'd have some nice Chino style shorts accompanied with a decent pair of appropriate loafers.

You just know most would throw on beat up ole AV8s with white ankle socks and they'd look an absolute state, and the shorts would at best be something from next red tag sale from last Autumn.

Right now I'm wearing chino shorts, a mountain warehouse breathable t-shirt with no writing/logos and espadrilles. most around me are probably roughly similar, CEO is wearing short sleeved shirt and jeans. Part of my job involves filming how-to videos, often on the ground, so I have to dress assuming I'll be crawling around a warehouse on any given day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

What type of shorts ?

On on cute young wans. Not on big hefty oul wans.

Right now I'm wearing chino shorts, a mountain warehouse breathable t-shirt with no writing/logos and espadrilles. most around me are probably roughly similar, CEO is wearing short sleeved shirt and jeans. Part of my job involves filming how-to videos, often on the ground, so I have to dress assuming I'll be crawling around a warehouse on any given day.

Sounds great :)

Appropriate etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Kamu wrote: »
    Sometimes....WITHOUT SOCKS
    ��
    You should be shot with a ball of your own sh!te for wearing socks with sandals :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement