Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shorts in the workplace?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Only one guy has ever worn shorts in our office that I can remember, even in 40 degree heat (outside). Nobody cared though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Grown men in shorts is just wrong unless they're swimming or playing sports.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nearly everybody in my office is wearing shorts. Nobody used to, I started the trend years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

FTA69 wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Why?

He's my grandfather. Farmed a farm of land for thirty-five years in a three-piece woollen suit a' clothes all year round. Never done him no harrum, aside from the fact that in the finish we had to get it off him with a con-saw. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Crazy statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I get where dress codes come from cos if you relaxed it too much Irish lads would be turning up in loungewear. Social pressures mean generally women will have dressed well even if they're not dressed very formally whereas half the men I see in work look like they rolled out of bed in yesterdays clothes even though they're wearing shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

For me it would depend on the shorts, the workplace and the person wearing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

JMNolan wrote: »
    Tech sector checking in, we look homeless most of the time, it's great to be able to wear shorts in this weather.
    Also tech sector, standard uniform is shorts and tshirts in this weather

Also tech sector but on a client site so it's still 'smart casual' as usual. Plus the site I'm on is as old as the hills so things like aircon are but a dream. It'd be completely unbearable if not for my desk fan.

Oh to be able to wear shorts and t-shirts :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

A lot postmen wear shorts now. They seem to be part of the ‘new’ uniform.

* anyone remember the old pasties uniform? Caps and ties and coats. And an army type coat in winter. I have a friend a postie. Hates the white vans, says nobody lets them out of driveways etc, where everybody let the green vans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

In my old job shorts were technically allowed per the dress code policy, due to my company having an office in Bermuda also.  However, they had to be tailored knee length shorts, worn with nearly knee length socks.  I am sure they are all the rage in Bermuda, it never took off in Dublin!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXkMzCFB6IRY4PcgWim0-tM6eqlonOz2KXYB6KUVbJRTJQP4DR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

The style as mentioned above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They just relaxed the code here for dress down Friday last week.
    One fella wore shorts and I think he ended up a bit self conscious.

Personally, I wouldn't wear them to work, but have no issues with the appropriate shorts being worn.

I've already gone on a rant in a previous place as the "office co-ordinator" sent an email saying dress down Friday does not allow round neck tshirts and sandals/espadrilles for men. I accidentally hit Reply All (honestly it was accidental, I meant to cc her, my manager and the Office Manager only but was in a rush and never trimmed the list) asking why it was ok for her to be wearing a tshirt today with open toe sandals.

The policy was removed less than 2 hours later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Sharts in loose fitting shorts can be dangerous.

It does increase the power and intensity of said shartage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    You should be shot with a ball of your own sh!te for wearing socks with sandals :eek:

It might look crap but I'd take it over smelly sweaty feet any day!

What a load of boll*cks (which only occurs when they're really short tbf :pac:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    In my old job shorts were technically allowed per the dress code policy, due to my company having an office in Bermuda also. However, they had to be tailored knee length shorts, worn with nearly knee length socks. I am sure they are all the rage in Bermuda, it never took off in Dublin!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXkMzCFB6IRY4PcgWim0-tM6eqlonOz2KXYB6KUVbJRTJQP4DR
    w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    The style as mentioned above

To be fair it is a look that few have the class to pull off

higgins_trousers_short.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Never heard of a shorts ban before, in-fact I am wearing shorts right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

To be fair it is a look that few have the class to pull off

It's half the battle if the shorts fit properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Shorts are the norm Down Under, but in manual labour kinds of jobs rather than offices.

I wouldn't begrudge the likes of bus drivers, posties or delivery drivers wearing them in this heat.
    Trousers are available in a wide variety of light, breathable fabrics (as are socks). There is simply no reason for a man to degrade himself and offend the eyes of other people by exposing his legs (or feet) in public. None.
    I don't think it's 'male legs' per se - I think it's hairy legs. If women wore skirts without shaving their legs, people would be equally appalled. :eek:
    While hairy legs are especially repulsive, this really makes no difference. We wouldn't tolerate a man strolling along the street with his genitals on display - hairy or not.
    It should be the same with legs/feet.
    Tight, flexible leggings could be worn for such activities.

higgins_trousers_short.jpg

Disgusting :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Trousers are available in a wide variety of light, breathable fabrics (as are socks). There is simply no reason for a man to degrade himself and offend the eyes of other people by exposing his legs (or feet) in public. None.

While hairy legs are especially repulsive, this really makes no difference. We wouldn't tolerate a man strolling along the street with his genitals on display - hairy or not.

I can't tell if you're trolling. Like, I know you are, but things are so mad of late that you could be serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

You'd prefer men to wear 'tight flexible leggings' over shorts?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

COO in our place took offence at a dude wearing shorts. We forced a vote on it, shorts are allowed, no doubt much to his chagrin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

I'm living in Toronto right now and it seems like things are far more relaxed with the dress code here. I went to meet a recruiter and when I got to their office, all of them were in shorts and sandals. I thought it was fantastic.
    I just think it's ridiculous because most of the lads I know would be wearing tshirts when I've switched to jumpers because they keep their heat better than me, so I don't really think it's fair that as soon as summer hits I can swan in to work in a short sleeved summer dress while they all have to wear long pants. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

I can't tell if you're trolling. Like, I know you are, but things are so mad of late that you could be serious.
    I can assure you I've never been as serious about anything in my life!
    wexie wrote: »
    You'd prefer men to wear 'tight flexible leggings' over shorts?

:eek:
    Ideally shorts, or possibly a 'kilt'-like garment, would be worn over the leggings by those participating in field-sports so as to conceal unsightly bulges in the crotch and the contours of the buttocks.

Another option would be to adopt something like the knickerbockers and stockings combination worn by American Baseball players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

eIhZlFs0Ed0U.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Is it ok for women to bare their feet and legs or is it just men you have a problem with?

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Is it ok for women to bare their feet and legs or is it just men you have a problem with?
    Just men.
    Women can bare what they like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

Sudden erections happen when wearing shorts, a medium health and safety risk in the work place that should be recorded in the risk assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Shorts no issue in work, neither are sandals or flip-flops etc people wear what they want really and no one really cares.

The dress code where I am is personal choice but there is a line. Have never seen anyone wear shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Sudden erections happen when wearing shorts, a medium health and safety risk in the work place that should be recorded in the risk assessment.

c'mon - this must not be only when wearing shorts - at least based on what I hear :)

But leaving joke aside, in our job (tech) we also don't interface with customers/stakeholders on day to day basis: while there is a dress code, some lads in the office do make an effort to break it on this type of weather; imo this should be allowed.

While I am not bothered by the show of hairy legs - I would not like to see flip flops/ or other beach shoes, and poor pedicure !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 amondenise

FunLover18 wrote: »
    How does the baring of one's knees affect your ability to do your job? Why does society think it unprofessional?

I work in a call centre where we don't deal with out customers face to face and we're not allowed wear shorts. I know several teachers who say that they're dress code doesn't allow shorts. I'm not saying it's endemic and there are more important things, I'm just curious as to where it comes from when we don't seem to mind short sleeves.

I guess even if you don't see customers face to face it is still considered an "office job". And once they allow it, someone will definitely cross the line eventually and wear too short shorts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

mvl wrote: »
    c'mon - this must not be only when wearing shorts - at least based on what I hear :)

But leaving joke aside, in our job (tech) we also don't interface with customers/stakeholders on day to day basis: while there is a dress code, some lads in the office do make an effort to break it on this type of weather; imo this should be allowed.

While I am not bothered by the show of hairy legs - I would not like to see flip flops/ or other beach shoes, and poor pedicure !!
    Flipflops belong on the beach, not in the office where they make horrible noise when the wearer walks around. Also I don't want to see people's feet. But! Personally as a manager I would not object to my staff wearing shorts if they wanted to though. We're not public facing in our job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Mr.S wrote: »
    If you sit in front of a computer 9-5 and don't meet customers, why on earth should you have to wear a shirt/tie?

It's gotten to a point where I ask the dress code during interviews, and if there is a strict policy, I don't bother. No time for that.

this is about shorts :)... so among reasons why can be for example
    - you may meet customers when you go to lunch
    - there are some of those highly visible site visits can end up with managers calling down to ppls desks ...
    - or ... you want a promotion, and you're expected to dress up for the new role :)
    good advice for whoever is looking for jobs that don't have strict dress codes to ask about that during interviews !

on another note, I would have thought its fair to expect employees that wear skirts are not showing off too much of the "shaved" legs neither ...but i am sure complaints on this scenario would only be raised by same gender staff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Mr.S wrote: »
    Ahh I love the office causal Friday (but not to casual) policy - my old employer brought it in and you'd swear they thought they where giving everyone a raise, huge deal made over it and then it was like "but no trainers, or t-shirts, or jeans, or shorts".

Strict dress codes in the officeWork place really grinds my gears. As long as you look presentable for whatever situation your role involves, then it's fine. If you sit in front of a computer 9-5 and don't meet customers, why on earth should you have to wear a shirt/tie?

It's gotten to a point where I ask the dress code during interviews, and if there is a strict policy, I don't bother. No time for that.

Great post !

Reading through some of the posts here,makes me wonder if I've been teleported back to Victorian times ?

The most successful enterprises generally recognise that a comfortable Staff Member will,in turn,be a safer,more productive and attentive one.

All this faux concern about meeting a customer,who might have a conniption at the sight of your legs....even if that customer was himself wearing shorts to this meeting ?

The savvy employer will focus on the Job itself,and taking whatever means are required to enable it to be carried out with maximum effectivity,rather than checking for the wearing of long-pants,stovepipe hats and my other favorite piece of baloney attire...The Tie !

https://www.tie-a-tie.net/the-evolution-of-the-necktie/

Hard to believe that we can still enforce oul 17th century dress standards and expect to be regarded as forward thinking and progressive....../.God grant me peace and sanity :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I don’t see the big issue in wearing shorts. By shorts not being allowed are we saying that you suddenly become incapable of doing your job just because of the clothes you are wearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

hunter164 wrote: »
    I don’t see the big issue in wearing shorts. By shorts not being allowed are we saying that you suddenly become incapable of doing your job just because of the clothes you are wearing?

Yes..it appears that they are ...incredible,but true :eek:

Successful,modern forward thinking employers will take note of,and respond quickly to developing events...such as temperatures in the working environment exceeding the accepted norms.

As Mr S suggests,this sort of attitude might just be a more accurate reflection of an Emlpoyers overall attitude,than all the PR puffery to be found in the glossy brochures. ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement