Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect's consultation and fees

Options
  • 03-07-2018 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

As we would like to maybe extend (quite a small extension) our house I got an initial assessment with an architect the aim of which was to get an idea of what might be feasible. We discussed what we would like and need as well as our budget which would be in the 30-50k region at a stretch. The architect gave a few ideas then said that he had done similar jobs around the 30k mark details of which he would send on. He said he would follow up with an outline of what with discussed as well as fees' proposal.
    We received this which stated that what we had discussed could be completed for around 65k including vat. His fees would be 2800+vat, 2200+vat and 2500+vat for the three phases.

My questions:
    1- is it me or he didn't fulfill the main purpose of the meeting i.e. identify what is possible WITHIN a certain budget (as opposed to in absolute terms)
    2- his fees seem to work out just below the 12% of building costs when vat of building costs is included. Don't they seem a bit high?
    3- he charged for this consultation... do I need to keep paying architects for this until I find the right one?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and please let me know if I am missing something and am being paranoid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement