Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your views on net neutrality?

• 03-07-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Soon the open internet is set to be no more, on the 5th of july there will be a vote on copyright directive and the our everyday experiences of the internet will be no more.

The internet we all fell in love with will be no more.

What are your views regarding this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Meh

I thought Net neutrality refers to ISPs having the ability to throttle traffic / create internet packages etc. Is that what's happening in the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I thought Net neutrality refers to ISPs having the ability to throttle traffic / create internet packages etc. Is that what's happening in the EU?

That is what net neutrality usually means.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Net neutrality is not about downloading things off piratebay. Net neutrality is about not treating the various types of internet usage any differently. This was brought into question initially over consumers being charged extra to use VPN connections in order to work remotely.

Blocking pirate bay or anything else related to piracy is not a net neutrality issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Article 13 of the Directive states that platform providers should "take measures to ensure the functioning of agreements concluded with rights-holders for the use of their works. It is only a directive.

I doubt it will have much impact on me personally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

A side effect of the copyright directive is that the sharing of memes will be effectively seen as copyright infringement. Without memes the Cool Vids, Pics and Links forum will become a barren wasteland :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

A side effect of the copyright directive is that the sharing of memes will be effectively seen as copyright infringement. Without memes the Cool Vids, Pics and Links forum will become a barren wasteland :eek:

Yay... I mean... awwww... Terrible news. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I think they are different, but perhaps somewhat related, issues

Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers treat all data on the Internet equally, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication

I think the whole copyright thing is just the traditional news/print media desperately trying to protect their outdated business models rather than trying to come up with better ones to suit where the internet is going.

Even if it does get voted through I can't see it working. (but I'll admit I haven't looked into it too deeply either <shrugs>)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Its unworkable

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Which will be just another law that can't be enforced by any practical means.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

This calls for Irexit

tomofson wrote: »
    The internet we all fell in love with will be no more.

The Internet I grew up with died a long time ago.

It's full of junk. Game reviews? nah, biased and sponsored. Media articles? Biased and sponsored. Social media? Incredibly "toxic" and full of ignorance. Software? Pretty rife with spyware, and other crap. Torrents? Virus's abound, along with heaps of fake material simply to boost downloads.

So, not going to get all misty-eyed at what's happening with copyright and controls... it was inevitable anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

The Internet I grew up with died a long time ago.

Same. Social media has really put the boot in, for me. Was never a fan and I thought it would just breeze through for a few years and something else a bit more bearable would take its place. Boy, was I wrong. It was bad in the beginning, but it's so much worse now.

Advertisement