Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy IPhone 8 simfree

Options
  • 03-07-2018 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

The OH is looking to get the IPhone 8 simfree. Any advice on the cheapest place to buy with a reputable company. Pricespy is throwing up Komplett.ie,never used them before but they are coming in @ €739 vs John Lewis @ €745. I'm more inclined to go with John Lewis.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭peter4918

Some good reliable sellers on adverts if you take a look there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

peter4918 wrote: »
    Some good reliable sellers on adverts if you take a look there

I use adverts a good bit but not for an iPhone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Why not?
    Excellent sellers selling brand new phones sealed.
    As usual, check their feedback etc

Failing that, then www.apple.ie

kceire wrote: »
    Why not?
    Excellent sellers selling brand new phones sealed.
    As usual, check their feedback etc

Failing that, then www.apple.ie

I may have dismissed adverts a bit too soon, my bad. Some serious discounts to be had with excellent reviews like the below:

https://www.adverts.ie/15748394

Would these be refurbs though, how are they selling at such a discount?

Would be difficult to convince herself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Would these be refurbs though, how are they selling at such a discount?

This question seems to come up quite a bit. From what I've seen, I think people on here say they are definitely not refurbs, but more likely what would be called "grey market".
    i.e. It's a brand new perfect iPhone, but sourced from other countries where iPhones retail for less due to different rates of taxation.
    (Or perhaps they are obtained completely free of tax since it won't really end up in said country but is sent overseas to Ireland etc.)

At any rate they should work just the same as an iPhone bought in Compu B or wherever, just that the exact model number will be different to the ones sold here.

It may get a bit more complicated if you ever need to send the phone back to Apple for repairs. Apple will honour the warranty internationally, but far as I recall you can't do a mail-in, and am not sure if the likes of Compu B can take in non Irish models, so the iPhone may have to be presented physically at an Apple Store. Nearest one I know of is in Belfast.

I discovered this potential hazard after buying an American iPad Pro last November. Fortunately I've had no problems or need of repairs, but it does worry me a bit, and I think you should be aware of this possible downside before investing.

There may be others on here more knowledgeable than I in this matter who can confirm for sure whether or not such iPhones can be repaired here, but i would say definitely sound your ground first on this, as the one thing I can say with certainty is that Apple are kinda finicky about how they deal with warranty of non-Irish models.

• Advertisement

duridian wrote: »
    This question seems to come up quite a bit. From what I've seen, I think people on here say they are definitely not refurbs, but more likely what would be called "grey market".
    i.e. It's a brand new perfect iPhone, but sourced from other countries where iPhones retail for less due to different rates of taxation.
    (Or perhaps they are obtained completely free of tax since it won't really end up in said country but is sent overseas to Ireland etc.)

At any rate they should work just the same as an iPhone bought in Compu B or wherever, just that the exact model number will be different to the ones sold here.

It may get a bit more complicated if you ever need to send the phone back to Apple for repairs. Apple will honour the warranty internationally, but far as I recall you can't do a mail-in, and am not sure if the likes of Compu B can take in non Irish models, so the iPhone may have to be presented physically at an Apple Store. Nearest one I know of is in Belfast.

I discovered this potential hazard after buying an American iPad Pro last November. Fortunately I've had no problems or need of repairs, but it does worry me a bit, and I think you should be aware of this possible downside before investing.

There may be others on here more knowledgeable than I in this matter who can confirm for sure whether or not such iPhones can be repaired here, but i would say definitely sound your ground first on this, as the one thing I can say with certainty is that Apple are kinda finicky about how they deal with warranty of non-Irish models.

Very useful info. Warranty piece would be important. Would be interested to hear people's experiences. If Belfast was the only option may not be a deal breaker given the value to be had.

Very useful info. Warranty piece would be important. Would be interested to hear people's experiences. If Belfast was the only option may not be a deal breaker given the value to be had.

I’ve boight said phones before and also from the USA.

Within the 12 months, main in warranty is fine but for outside of ‘official’ warranty or sale of goods problems then you must return to a store ie. Belfast.
    This happened me once on an iPhone 5 when the speaker died about 2 years after purchase.

kceire wrote: »
    I’ve boight said phones before and also from the USA.

Within the 12 months, main in warranty is fine but for outside of ‘official’ warranty or sale of goods problems then you must return to a store ie. Belfast.
    This happened me once on an iPhone 5 when the speaker died about 2 years after purchase.

Thanks, was that recent and do apple adopt the same approach re mail returns in the first 12 months.

Thanks, was that recent and do apple adopt the same approach re mail returns in the first 12 months.

The 5, so was a few years back now.
    Not sure if current status with regards to repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

What price peace of mind?

An earlier thread revealed that the iPhone was purchased from a pop-up shop with no VAT number, probably now disappeared or renamed to avoid comeback. Only cash accepted.

Insist on paying by card for added protection. The vat number (if any) should be validated as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Bought a 5s from adverts brand new with warranty. But It might not be a year. That's how it was sold.

Turned out I had about 5 month left on warranty. Although the phone was fine. Everything else was counterfeit. Headphone, plug, cable and the Box.

I was the only one to leave bad feedback. Maybe I was just unlucky. In all fairness he did ask to come back with the phone. I never followed it up.

Phone was perfect. Never had a problem with it. Never used the plug though. I reckon it was a refurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Bought a 5s from adverts brand new with warranty. But It might not be a year. That's how it was sold.

Turned out I had about 5 month left on warranty. Although the phone was fine. Everything else was counterfeit. Headphone, plug, cable and the Box.

I was the only one to leave bad feedback. Maybe I was just unlucky. In all fairness he did ask to come back with the phone. I never followed it up.

Phone was perfect. Never had a problem with it. Never used the plug though. I reckon it was a refurb.

Was it sealed?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

duridian wrote: »

Not all international iPhones will work the same here, please be careful! A friend of mine is in the UAE and their iPhones have FaceTime disabled due to local laws. The app is simply not on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I've bought (and sold) from IPhone 4 up to current 8plus from adverts. Buy from reputable sellers and you cannot go wrong. And you're unlikely to get cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

quarryman wrote: »
    Was it sealed?

Yeh have a look at this video. https://youtu.be/j6p76rDbS18

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Some of the sellers on Adverts have sold large numbers of iPhone’s,putting them over the turnover limit for vat registration. This leaves the end user liable for the vat if Revenue investigates and the seller is unable to pay.

The discounts given point towards the phones being grey imports sourced from outside the eu and imported without payment of vat .

The sellers seem to only accept payment in cash or by bank transfer, leaving the buyer without the protection offered by Visa etc.

Oxter wrote: »
    Some of the sellers on Adverts have sold large numbers of iPhone’s,putting them over the turnover limit for vat registration. This leaves the end user liable for the vat if Revenue investigates and the seller is unable to pay.

The discounts given point towards the phones being grey imports sourced from outside the eu and imported without payment of vat .

The sellers seem to only accept payment in cash or by bank transfer, leaving the buyer without the protection offered by Visa etc.

99% of adverts is cash in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Oxter wrote: »

I don't know why you're so worried about VAT.

It's also not true what you say about the end user liable for vat if there's an investigation. VAT does not work that way.

Also, how would Revenue know who the end user is?
    You can go to an Apple store and pay cash for a phone and still have a warranty. You don't need credit card protection.

Think about going to a shop and buying goods for cash, the shop do not save your details and have no idea who you are so how could revenue chase you for vat?

Advertisement