Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects effects on North Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

L1011 wrote: »
    The 32x morning services need to be increased in number and made faster definitely. The spine plan can't take huge changes without the whole concept collapsing but the extra services can

The 259 to Confey is apparently going to meet/wait for the trains but that doesn't fix the Riverforest problem, has to be addressed also

I did put a submission in with all this - that or going to the meeting at Tesco in a few weeks (I think) ensure it does go on the feedback documents to the designers

We live in hope.
    I've put in a submission too, mainly around these peak time services. The spine and radial routes, so far have my support, if they maintain current travel times.
    The bus linking to the train stations is a welcome addition, especially Hazelhatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kfagan10

The Mulk wrote: »
    There's a petition up at the moment to maintain the direct Celbridge-CC bus.

https://www.change.org/p/national-transport-authority-maintain-and-improve-celbridge-dublin-city-commuter-bus-service?recruiter=35586444&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial.pacific_abi_gmail_send.control.pacific_email_copy_en_2.fake_control.pacific_email_copy_en_gb_1.v1&utm_term=psf_combo_share_message

I'm not sure how effective these are.
    I think there are some improvements, but to leave Celbridge without a direct service will really effect commuters.

Bring back Mortons Circle Line:pac:

They're not effective, but if everyone who signed it made a submission to the NTA then that would be.

It makes no sense to re-route the current 67x, especially as the increased peak frequency on the re-routed 67 will serve Leixlip/Lucan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

How/where does one make a submission regarding these new routes?
    I don't really care about the Celbridge/Leixlip issue, bypassing Lucan village is far more important IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I don't really care about the Celbridge/Leixlip issue, bypassing Lucan village is far more important IMO.

There's a survey on thehttps://www.research.net/r/BusConnects busconnects website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kfagan10

They'll take them by email as well to consultations@busconnects.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

That's the best part of the plan, speaking as someone from leixlip. I hate how long it takes to get through Lucan village. Far too many lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

OttoPilot wrote: »
    That's the best part of the plan, speaking as someone from leixlip. I hate how long it takes to get through Lucan village. Far too many lights.

not sure what you mean, Lucan isn't bypassed currently, all the Maynooth/Leixlip/Celbridge buses will still be going through Lucan village. I agree that going through Lucan village is slow, hence why I'm looking to make a submission. The more people that do, the better IMO.
    they'll be bypassing Chapelizod which is a plus I suppose.

Unfortuantely looking at the maps again, there is no Lucan bus service that goes from the village into town, and the 252 which services the village just does a loop at the church/girls school/old St.Andrews, so it doesn't link up with the other Lucan services (C1/C2/W4).

https://busconnects.ie/media/1298/map-5-proposed-network-dublin-west-outer.pdf

9468bbc6-a557-4c0d-a0fe-d58d3d223a35.png

My suggestion is for the C3/C4 to bypass the village, stopping at the current 66x/67x shelter on the N4 beside the footbridge, and coming off the N4 at the Woodies flyover, to drop people at the Woodies shelter inbound/Texaco shelter outbound.

Then also for the 252, rather than doing a loop at the top of Chapel Hill, continues a few hundred metres up the road to Woodies, and does its loop-around at the roundabout there. that way it will link up with the C1/C2/W4 Lucan services and the C3/C4 Maynooth/Leixlip/Celbridge services.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My suggestion is for the C3/C4 to bypass the village, stopping at the current 66x/67x shelter on the N4 beside the footbridge, and coming off the N4 at the Woodies flyover, to drop people at the Woodies shelter inbound/Texaco shelter outbound.

Then also for the 252, rather than doing a loop at the top of Chapel Hill, continues a few hundred metres up the road to Woodies, and does its loop-around at the roundabout there. that way it will link up with the C1/C2/W4 Lucan services and the C3/C4 Maynooth/Leixlip/Celbridge services.

Would agree with that. May be time for a second submission as I only suggested the 32x services skipping Lucan and hadn't even thought of improving access to the lower village with a connector bus and letting more buses skip the upper village

The open submission day in Celbridge is the 30th all afternoon - https://twitter.com/labourkn/status/1021855421722705931

• Registered Users Posts: 16,222 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've just checked the inyteractive site for maynooth, this is what I see.

bus.png

According to that the dark area around maynooth is the furthest I can travel in 60 minutes. That has to be a mistake. the C3 line appears to be a replica of the 66 bus. the "Maynooth line" goes through Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

That very much looks like the train line.....:confused:

• Advertisement

That IS the train line

The 60mins includes the wait time for a bus, it isn't idealised

• Registered Users Posts: 16,222 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

infacteh wrote: »
    That very much looks like the train line.....:confused:

lol. Now I feel like an idiot. I was looking at it wondering why the feck they'd send a bus all the way out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Go have a pint in Bison Bar and watch people stand outside for an hour for a 66A perhaps. Or many pints, depending on drinking speed.

Why would you have a pint in the Bison Bar when there are so many fine whiskeys there :D

Orion wrote: »
    Why would you have a pint in the Bison Bar when there are so many fine whiskeys there :D

The range of pints is poor enough so I may need to!

Info session for Maynooth announced for September. None for Leixlip yet, think it needs one due to the Confey changes.

Read the thread. Most or all of these have been mentioned as issues with the plan:

The 259 terminus needs to be moved to Riverforest

The C4 needs to have its frequency significantly increased off-peak.

The C3 could do with being extended to the Maynooth Town pitches as the 66 was meant to be.

ALL the express services need to skip Lucan and there should be more of them.

I have no knowledge of the other Kildare service (the 65) or its replacement so can't make any comments on it really. Therein ends the scope of the forum.

I haven't read the report and I know I'm late to this party but I do have one question. Is there a planned route the new schools up the Moylglare Road? Apologies if this has been answered already - I had a look but didn't see it.

Orion wrote: »
    I haven't read the report and I know I'm late to this party but I do have one question. Is there a planned route the new schools up the Moylglare Road? Apologies if this has been answered already - I had a look but didn't see it.

The W8 route is, according to the text version of the plans and all drawings included in them, to run from Moyglare to Tallaght every 30mins. So yes, but probably they need to do some additional short runs to Celbridge (allow the few there that go to school here and v/v to use it) at school times. One 50 seater single decker even crush loaded with standing passengers won't make a big impact.

However on the map version its shown as only going to the Main Street and looping via Parson Street! Not sure a bus of any scale can do those corners for starters. I'm hoping the map is in error and not the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

One of the problems on the Moyglare road that supposedly blocked the previous DB extension was lack of turning facilities for a double decker not sure if that was true or still relivent with the w buses but that might be addressed with the opening of a second entrance to Moyglare Hall that and the speed ramps outside the boys school although I though the council got money to replace but never did but I guess those are going with the extension of the cycle lanes etc.

tnegun wrote: »
    One of the problems on the Moyglare road that supposedly blocked the previous DB extension was lack of turning facilities for a double decker not sure if that was true or still relivent with the w buses but that might be addressed with the opening of a second entrance to Moyglare Hall that and the speed ramps outside the boys school although I though the council got money to replace but never did but I guess those are going with the extension of the cycle lanes etc.

Without being bothered to check the planning files on a Friday evening, I think the required turning bay will exist with the new schools?

The rebuild of the road is planned but there are various issues to be sorted out including land purchase at the BNS (may have been resolved, you hear of less updates on stuff during the summer) and it wasn't going to be done before the schools opened - until Sammon went pop. It may be done in time now!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The range of pints is poor enough so I may need to!

Info session for Maynooth announced for September. None for Leixlip yet, think it needs one due to the Confey changes.
    I'm not sure everywhere will get a presentation. These are coming up though.
    Thursday 30th August
    Tesco Superstore, Maynooth Rd, Celbridge, Co. Kildare
    2pm to 8pm

Tuesday 4th September
    Lucan Spa Hotel, Junction 4A, N4 Westbound, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    3pm to 7pm

Friday 14th September
    Manor Mills Shopping Centre, Maynooth, Co. Kildare
    2pm to 8pm
    However on the map version its shown as only going to the Main Street and looping via Parson Street! Not sure a bus of any scale can do those corners for starters. I'm hoping the map is in error and not the report.
    Where are you getting this from? I don't see anything going via Parson Street. That said, it might be useful to send something to the west end of the town somewhere.

458660.png

Victor wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from? I don't see anything going via Parson Street. That said, it might be useful to send something to the west end of the town somewhere.

458660.png

That's the drawing from the report.

The interactive map has it going via Parson Street - there is a screenshot a few posts (#100) ago but its very obvious when you use the tool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Without being bothered to check the planning files on a Friday evening, I think the required turning bay will exist with the new schools?

The rebuild of the road is planned but there are various issues to be sorted out including land purchase at the BNS (may have been resolved, you hear of less updates on stuff during the summer) and it wasn't going to be done before the schools opened - until Sammon went pop. It may be done in time now!

You could be right if I remember properly there's to be a roundabout at the entrance to the school and Moyglare Hall from the stub of the ring road already in place, Salmon actually had made a start on it before they went under would make most sense for the w to use it to turn and there is a existing bus bay that could function as a terminus.

That's the drawing from the report.

The interactive map has it going via Parson Street - there is a screenshot a few posts (#100) ago but its very obvious when you use the tool
    I suspect that's an oversight. It's actually via Doctor's Lane. :)

Victor wrote: »
    I suspect that's an oversight. It's actually via Doctor's Lane. :)

You'd think I'd remember which is which after three decades...

tnegun wrote: »
    You could be right if I remember properly there's to be a roundabout at the entrance to the school and Moyglare Hall from the stub of the ring road already in place, Salmon actually had made a start on it before they went under would make most sense for the w to use it to turn and there is a existing bus bay that could function as a terminus.

A terminus/turning bay is part of the planning for the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Kildare Now is reporting that the 259 is going to be introduced ahead of Bus Connects. From the statement they've reproduced "positively disposed" doesn't mean it's going to happen, contrary to their headline.

For starters there is no room for two buses to turn around at the 66A terminus is River Forest. I also find it ironic that if it does go ahead the service will be far better than the 66A (which is going where most people want to go) and without the 90 minute ticketing option it's not going to be cost effective to use the 259 to connect to other bus routes, including the 66.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/nta-agree-new-bus-service-linking-celbridge-leixlip/243416

n97 mini wrote: »
    without the 90 minute ticketing option it's not going to be cost effective to use the 259 to connect to other bus routes, including the 66.
    It would be cost effective with monthly or annual tickets and reasonably so with Leap 90 Discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

This table compares how commuters from the main feeder towns to Dublin commute. Unsurprisingly, those towns with significant population close to train stations have highest levels of train usage.
    Feeder-Towns-to-Dublin-Figures-1024x269.png

I'm curious how the reliance on bus is so high for Leixlip since it has 2 train stations. Is it because of the demographic profile of residents, or that the train just doesn't serve people's destinations, or that it takes too long to get to the train or what is it?

I pulled the following map of how accessible train stations are to people in parts of North Kildare from http://airo.maynoothuniversity.ie/external-content/kildare and am amazed how few can get to Louisa Bridge in 0-6 minutes.
    Accessibility-to-Train-Stations-2013.png

Supposedly most of Leixlip could get to the train in 6-8 minutes though I imagine it takes longer say from the backend of Rinawade. Is permeability from places like Gleneaston non-existent? i.e. can pedestrians not get to the train without walking half way around the world? Accessibility to Confey seems waaaay better than Louisa Bridge.

Reckon people in Celbridge would give their right arm for a train station that's accessible in 6-8 minutes when that proximity is only the reality for the less significant numbers living to the south of the town.

tcs wrote: »
    I'm curious how the reliance on bus is so high for Leixlip since it has 2 train stations. Is it because of the demographic profile of residents, or that the train just doesn't serve people's destinations, or that it takes too long to get to the train or what is it?

Sometimes these tools can be a bit coarse, largely because of data quality, e.g. the tool doesn't know about footpath links or gaps in walls. In this case, I suspect it is partially down to using centre points of the enumeration areas used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Sticking my neck out here, but at a guess there are more white collar workers in Malahide, Greystones and Maynooth whose jobs are in the city centre... maps on pobal would indicate these are the wealthier areas anyway. Leixlip and Bray would see more people working in the industrial estates around the M50 belt. Swords and Celbridge don't really have train stations...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

tcs wrote: »

Supposedly most of Leixlip could get to the train in 6-8 minutes though I imagine it takes longer say from the backend of Rinawade. Is permeability from places like Gleneaston non-existent? i.e. can pedestrians not get to the train without walking half way around the world? Accessibility to Confey seems waaaay better than Louisa Bridge.

Reckon people in Celbridge would give their right arm for a train station that's accessible in 6-8 minutes when that proximity is only the reality for the less significant numbers living to the south of the town.

If you look at Confey, quite a lot of the area marked as taking 6-8 minutes to get to the train could only do so by driving to the station. There is only parking for about 20 cars at the station. And it's paid parking. And a lot of them would be passing a bus stop on the way. If you get the train the first city centre stop is Connolly, but if you get the bus you can get off anywhere along the quays which would be handier for a lot of people.
    I live in the area marked as 0-6 minutes but it's about a 10 minute walk and I'd pass 2 bus stops on the way.

Advertisement