Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breastfeeding and the GAA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

https://www.independent.ie/life/family/mothers-babies/i-was-sickened-mayo-fan-told-by-a-steward-to-breastfeed-her-baby-in-the-toilets-at-kildare-game-last-weekend-37076210.html

Gaa steward told a mother who was breastfeeding her baby to go do it in the toilet. I thought Kildare was a progressive part of Ireland? :pac:

What a tit though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Who names a baby Senan? How would you look at an hour old baby and go "That's the head of a Senan if ever I saw one"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Noveight wrote: »
    Who names a baby Senan? How would you look at an hour old baby and go "That's the head of a Senan if ever I saw one"

Or Keith. Or Nigel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Boobies! Ah!!!! Someone cover that with a high viz or something!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I hope this incident didn't spoil the babies enjoyment of the game too much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

AllForIt wrote: »
    I hope this incident didn't spoil the babies enjoyment of the game too much.

In 90 years he'll still need someone to feed him and he'll still be waiting for Mayo to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mother is called Iseult. Kid had no chance of being called Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Who wants to sit in a car for hours and go to a match with a baby?

Matches have crowds and shouting, can't really think of a worse place to have a baby at. Child yes, but why subject a baby to a match. Will she ask the crowd to not cheer for a score when the baby is ready for a nap. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

Who wants to sit in a car for hours and go to a match with a baby?

Matches have crowds and shouting, can't really think of a worse place to have a baby at. Child yes, but why subject a baby to a match. Will she ask the crowd to not cheer for a score when the baby is ready for a nap. Ridiculous.

Hardcore GAA fans would probably give birth in the stadium if they could. The obsession starts very early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Verity. wrote: »
    Hardcore GAA fans would probably give birth in the stadium if they could. The obsession starts very early on.

Would they use Hawkeye to clear up any problems then for the birth and show it up on the big screen?

Ah seriously though, a massive crowd at a match is no place for a baby. It's like bringing it to a Formula 1 race or a Metallica concert. Big loud crowds of people is simply not a fair environment to bring a baby into willingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

Would they use Hawkeye to clear up any problems then for the birth and show it up on the big screen?

Ah seriously though, a massive crowd at a match is no place for a baby. It's like bringing it to a Formula 1 race or a Metallica concert. Big loud crowds of people is simply not a fair environment to bring a baby into willingly.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, don't get me wrong.

Fanatics mightn't see the issue though, early exposure and all that. Look in the crowds, even at an F1 race you're bound to see someone holding a baby in Red bull or McLaren clobber.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Someone looking for their 5seconds of fame and no better gutter paper to give it. It’s a non story of one uneducated steward who probably heard every excuse to get to unauthorised areas. She acknowledged that she got sorted very quickly afterwards.

Maybe she could broaden her reach and do a slot on liveline, maybe even a book deal and the inevitable court case.

To be honest I’d challenge her story and question her parenting skills subjecting a 5 month old to a needless 5 hour car journey (car seats are not great for a baby over long periods of time) and then the high noise levels that goes on at a GAA match. That poor baby wouldn’t have been able to lie flat on their back at all that day. Selfish woman. Probably bitter her team lost again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mother is called Iseult. Kid had no chance of being called Dave.

I heard she once auditioned to join The Blockheads but got turned down.

Because that would be adding Iseult to Ian Dury.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I have a huge issue with breast feeding in public...the child's head gets in the way and you cant get a good look at the diddy

People who like the name? People who like the name and are from an area where it's a traditional name due to a local St Senan - e.g. Clare?

Far better if those Irish abandoned the Irish tradition and gave all those notion-filled wannabe English names like Harry, George, Max and Alex to their kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

To be honest I’d challenge her story and question her parenting skills subjecting a 5 month old to a needless 5 hour car journey (car seats are not great for a baby over long periods of time) and then the high noise levels that goes on at a GAA match. That poor baby wouldn’t have been able to lie flat on their back at all that day. Selfish woman. Probably bitter her team lost again.

If they have other kids then family life doesn't just stop when a new baby arrives. When they're a baby is the best time to take them places like a sports match. They are extremely portable and are happy just bring held and fed for hours on end. Maybe she did something to muffle the sound for the baby?

I seem to say this in all the baby/mother bashing threads on here but children and babies are part of society and it shouldn't be unusual to see them out and about in that society, even in places that they can't actively participate in just yet such as sports events and restaurants. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Before I read the full story in the Indo I just thought a woman had been stopped breastfeeding by a steward at a GAA match.
    Totally shocked to hear that the woman took her child on a THREE AND A HALF HOUR car journey from Mayo to Newbridge on one of the hottest days in 40 years to attend an extremely noisy GAA match.
    Honestly I think this woman has far bigger issues than the breastfeeding excuse.
    The ISPCC should come out and highlight her actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

washman3 wrote: »
    Totally shocked to hear that the woman took her child on a THREE AND A HALF HOUR car journey from Mayo to Newbridge on one of the hottest days in 40 years to attend an extremely noisy GAA match.
    Honestly I think this woman has far bigger issues than the breastfeeding excuse.

Won't someone think of the children!

Jaysus, you'd swear she asked the child to push the car from Mayo the way you're going on.

If you had kids you'd know they are tough enough for a car journey and some noise, very little mollycoddling required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Technically illegal. Mother has a right to feed her child anywhere she likes, any place at all. And rightly so.

Schoolboy sniggering over this natural and normal business is really, really immature.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Before I read the full story in the Indo I just thought a woman had been stopped breastfeeding by a steward at a GAA match.

The car had air-conditioning and the baby was asleep for most of the journey. I just listened to an interview with her on newstalk.
    Families can have lives too. The other kids would have been delighted to be at the game and the baby would have been just as happy

• Advertisement

If you had kids you'd know they are tough enough for a car journey and some noise, very little mollycoddling required

In the middle of a heatwave and one of the hottest days in 40 years.??
    She could've gone to the beach in Mayo or a playground.
    A much better environment for a young child rather than being in the middle of 10,000 roaring GAA fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

If you had kids you'd know.......

As soon as I see or hear those 6 words I just cringe.....it just screams superiority complex of people who have kids.
    Out of curiousity, how do you know he/she doesn't have kids?
    I will have kids in a few years and have already told OH that we are never using that phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

here, here
    i'm from mayo, big football fan and i have 3 kids the eldest is an eight year old boy.

he's mad into football so i have been bringing him to the games for the last couple of years, the younger 2 are only 4 and 2 so there is no way i would bring them to any game.

i refused to bring the 8 year old to this game for the reason outlined above

3 hour car journey in the heat standing up for 3 hours in the heat etc.

this woman should be ashamed of herself for bringing a little baby to this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

It's horrible to hear so many people think babies, and therefore presumably their mothers aswell should stay out of public sight until the child is old enough to go to a Gaa match by themselves!

I'm sure it's hard enough being a parent to a small child without judgemental alarmists shouting your a monster for daring to step foot outside the front door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

In the middle of a heatwave and one of the hottest days in 40 years.??
    She could've gone to the beach in Mayo or a playground.
    A much better environment for a young child rather than being in the middle of 10,000 roaring GAA fans.
    The beach would have been just as hot, if not hotter, with bugger all shade.

If the car has air conditioning the temperature in it would have been lovely. My brother’s car is kept at a freezing temperature these days.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Technically illegal. Mother has a right to feed her child anywhere she likes, any place at all. And rightly so.

Schoolboy sniggering over this natural and normal business is really, really immature.

She is also required to display basic common sense, ie making a totally needless 3 and a hour trip in blistering heat with a young child just to satisfy her own ego, is plain madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Mother is called Iseult...

Bingo. This is why she's on a national broadsheet complaining about not being able to breastfeed a small baby at a GAA match. She's probably a bigger focking cont than Sorcha, yeah no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

It's horrible to hear so many people think babies, and therefore presumably their mothers aswell should stay out of public sight until the child is old enough to go to a Gaa match by themselves!

I'm sure it's hard enough being a parent to a small child without judgemental alarmists shouting your a monster for daring to step foot outside the front door!

nobody said any of things you outlined,
    have a bit of sense.

There is nobody here suggesting anything like that, just you twisting things to suit your agenda.
    What some people are saying, and rightly so, is that this woman displayed poor judgement and common sense by bringing a young child on a long, and needless, journey in the middle of a heatwave to attend a very loud event that would last at least 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

There is nobody here suggesting anything like that, just you twisting things to suit your agenda.
    What some people are saying, and rightly so, is that this woman displayed poor judgement and common sense by bringing a young child on a long, and needless, journey in the middle of a heatwave to attend a very loud event that would last at least 2.
    You said it yourself she should have gone to a playground or beach!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do they have toilets at St Conleth's Park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

What some people are saying, and rightly so, is that this woman displayed poor judgement and common sense by bringing a young child on a long, and needless, journey in the middle of a heatwave to attend a very loud event that would last at least 2.

Fair enough. Personally i would find attending a sporting event a torturous experience so I'm not saying it was a particularly good place to bring a baby. But at that age, it's not really going to register where it is anyway and it seems unfair to think parents of small kids should be expected to forego a day out they enjoy because other people object to a baby being present. It's not going to make a difference to a baby whose still small enough to be breastfed whether it's at a playground or a match. Im not a parent though so that's just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Out of curiousity, how do you know he/she doesn't have kids?

Because if he had he wouldn't be here bleating on about what a stress a car journey and a crowd is for a baby. If/when you have kids of your own you too will laugh at people who think kids should be wrapped cotton wool.

Keano wrote: »

And you point is..??
    Mine is that she was totally out of order putting a child in a car for a very long drive during a heatwave and spend at least another 2 hours in scorching heat surrounded by roaring fans.
    Going to a local beach or playground she could've done in her own good time, not that the playground would be of use to a young child, but at least it would've been a more suitable environment.

Do they have toilets at St Conleth's Park?

Ya, top class toilet facilities with full babychanging facilities and the entire stadium is fully air-conditioned.
    How else do you think this venue was preferred over Croke Park for the game...:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Which wasnt what idle passerby claimed

But the rest of the stewards were all really helpful to her. Why not concentrate on that?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You guys sure are milking this one.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Day Lewin wrote: »

I am going to breastfeed my child in your bedroom at 4AM, some night this week. By your law, is there any notice required from my side, or can I just show up whenever I wish? Oh, any link to that law? I question it's validity.

This part also seems to be imagined.

She had to go to the VIP section, couldn't have chosen any other place, no? Is breastfeeding in the car (parked), a mortal sin or did that just not suit her agenda. Sounds to me that she is going out of her way to be a twat.

Breastfeeding doesn't give you special powers to do whatever you want. Plan your trip, she didn't just attain a 5 month old on her journey. She should have a vague idea of how often her child feeds and other habits after 5 months.

Contrary to what some on here believe, it's not impossible to make a "long" journey with a child of that age. You just have to plan it and put in enough breaks for your journey. It doesn't define somebody as a parent, that's nonsense.

And you point is..??
    Mine is that she was totally out of order putting a child in a car for a very long drive during a heatwave and spend at least another 2 hours in scorching heat surrounded by roaring fans.
    Going to a local beach or playground she could've done in her own good time, not that the playground would be of use to a young child, but at least it would've been a more suitable environment.
    A beach or playground would have been just as hot and the visit would have been just as long. Stadia generally have roofs over at least 2 sides which would have offered more shade than available at a beach or playground.

• Advertisement

But the rest of the stewards were all really helpful to her. Why not concentrate on that?

Because certain people need a excuse to have a daily pop at the GAA..;)
    The steward was wrong and possibly ignorant of the situation in hand, nobody is suggesting otherwise. But it's not the position of the GAA to prevent a mother breastfeeding in a stadium, and would probably be illegal to do so anyway.
    Not surprising that the vast majority of the stewards were more than helpful to her, most right thinking people would be.

kylith wrote: »
    A beach or playground would have been just as hot and the visit would have been just as long. Stadia generally have roofs over at least 2 sides which would have offered more shade than available at a beach or playground.

I sincerely doubt she would've had to drive for 3 and a half hours to find a beach or playground in Mayo. Its not really that backward outside the M50 you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Beasty wrote: »

It was a nice trip down mammary lane....

I sincerely doubt she would've had to drive for 3 and a half hours to find a beach or playground in Mayo. Its not really that backward outside the M50 you know.
    In a car with air conditioning, which probably meant it was cooler than her house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Beasty wrote: »

It was a nice trip down mammary lane....
    I'm just trying to keep abreast of the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

People in America regularly make road trips way longer than 3 hours with children. It's really not that big a deal. Are people to be confined to a certain radius around their house once they have children? The car had air conditioning, and the baby was asleep for most of it. Someone call social services!

In a car with air conditioning, which probably meant it was cooler than her house.

Was the stadium also air-conditioned.??
    Somebody here already said stadiums can be cool if you are under a covered roof. well any game i've been at over the last few weeks its been absolutely boiling (unless those coveted suites in Croker) and I wouldn't dream of taking a 5 month old child to a game in this weather, 3 and a half hours from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

She was in the stadium two hours before throw in , St Conleth’s is a place to spend least amount time than you have to... so 4 hours in at pitch with little or no amenities. Newbridge has many nice little cafes as well whitewater to spend a few hours before a game.
    The steward in question was wrong but I have a feeling he might have taught she was trying to pull a fast one, she seemed to have been treated well after that and got an apology from head steward and was told the person in question would be pulled up on his actions.
    I really don’t know why she is slating the whole GAA over this as it really is a non story..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    People in America regularly make road trips way longer than 3 hours with children. It's really not that big a deal. Are people to be confined to a certain radius around their house once they have children? The car had air conditioning, and the baby was asleep for most of it. Someone call social services!

I know people who travel from mayo to Dublin regularly to visit relatives (ok, by relatives I mean me).

It's not an easy journey with kids. Hell, trying to get young kids mobilized to drive 10 minutes away is an effort. But it can be done ands with proper planning it's a lot easier. And it all depends on the kids, they're not all the same. Some will quite happily doze for 5 hours. Others will go nuts.

It's strange how this thread starts with a GAA official telling a woman that she should go to the toilets to breastfeed and ends up with people blaming the women for being there.

ceadaoin. wrote: »

We don't live in America. They also have children spending life without parole in prisons over there. Should we also implement that here or do you just want to pick and choose the similarities that are convenient for your agenda.
    St.Conleths Park is not in America, if it was it probably wouldn't be the kip that it is.!!
    just use common sense and don't make needless journeys. Getting there in an air-conditioned car is one thing, but spending at least another 2 hours there in 30C heat is a completely different kettle of fish.
    And then have the gall to go on National media to complain when 1 steward out of a probable 100+ has a problem with breastfeeding in public.

• Advertisement
Advertisement