Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breastfeeding and the GAA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Why would anyone bring a small baby like that to a GAA match and be horsing a buggy around the stands. A packed GAA stadium is no place for small babies to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I am going to breastfeed my child in your bedroom at 4AM, some night this week. By your law, is there any notice required from my side, or can I just show up whenever I wish? Oh, any link to that law? I question it's validity.

This part also seems to be imagined.

She had to go to the VIP section, couldn't have chosen any other place, no? Is breastfeeding in the car (parked), a mortal sin or did that just not suit her agenda. Sounds to me that she is going out of her way to be a twat.

Breastfeeding doesn't give you special powers to do whatever you want. Plan your trip, she didn't just attain a 5 month old on her journey. She should have a vague idea of how often her child feeds and other habits after 5 months.

Contrary to what some on here believe, it's not impossible to make a "long" journey with a child of that age. You just have to plan it and put in enough breaks for your journey. It doesn't define somebody as a parent, that's nonsense.

It is illegal to prevent a woman from breastfeeding in any public place. Here’s some more information in which laws protect it. http://www.friendsofbreastfeeding.ie/wp/info-packs/breastfeeding-basics-0-12-months/breastfeeding-in-public-and-the-law/

That being said, I personally wouldn’t have taken my 6 month old on a trip like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why would anyone bring a small baby like that to a GAA match and be horsing a buggy around the stands. A packed GAA stadium is no place for small babies to be honest.

Agree.

They’re banned from football stadia in the UK. Sounds like a case of really poor parenting, you’d hope social services would intervene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Technically illegal. Mother has a right to feed her child anywhere she likes, any place at all. And rightly so.

Eh, no!
    You are legally entitled to breastfeed at a restaurant table, a park bench, your seat at a football stadium or anywhere else you happen to be.
    You are not entitled to use a pair of tits and a baby as a battering ram to barge in somewhere where you have no entitlement to be in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You are not entitled to use a pair of tits and a baby as a battering ram to barge in somewhere where you have no entitlement to be in the first place.
    “I met a steward and he said ‘no, sorry you can’t get up here’. I said ‘are there any seats available at all? I’m breastfeeding my baby’. He said ‘you can’t do that here, you can’t do that in the grounds. You can do it in the toilets’.”

Trying to square up your comment with what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

...it seems unfair to think parents of small kids should be expected to forego a day out they enjoy because other people object to a baby being present.

Of course, at the time you posted this, nobody had objected to the baby being present just because, or for no good reason, or because it was a baby. The objections raised were because a small baby was brought to an outdoor venue for a number of hours, in the middle of a heatwave. People questioned the wisdom of that parenting decision, and IMO it’s entirely appropriate to question it.

Only one posted since has suggested that babies (and buggies and associated paraphernalia) should not be allowed inside sports stadia. One poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Apparently they do it regularly in AMERICAY so we must follow suit and do it over here too...:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

washman3 wrote: »
    She is also required to display basic common sense, ie making a totally needless 3 and a hour trip in blistering heat with a young child just to satisfy her own ego, is plain madness.

I think I see the mistake you're making - you seem to have confused "young child" with "ice cream".

Kids can survive gruelling 3 hour journeys, even in this relentless mid 20's furnace.

Ice cream, would never make it. It would be delicious dairy suicide.

I think I see the mistake you're making - you seem to have confused "young child" with "ice cream".

Kids can survive gruelling 3 hour journeys, even in this relentless mid 20's furnace.

Ice cream, would never make it. It would be delicious dairy suicide.

It's a pity we're living in the 1960's and there's no air con in a car.

• Advertisement

The objections raised were because a small baby was brought to an outdoor venue for a number of hours, in the middle of a heatwave. People questioned the wisdom of that parenting decision, and IMO it’s entirely appropriate to question it.

I have a 4 month old - he's basically outdoors from morning to evening for the last couple of weeks. Hasn't done him any harm whatsoever. In fact I'd argue that it has done him the world of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

We don't live in America. They also have children spending life without parole in prisons over there. Should we also implement that here or do you just want to pick and choose the similarities that are convenient for your agenda.
    St.Conleths Park is not in America, if it was it probably wouldn't be the kip that it is.!!
    just use common sense and don't make needless journeys. Getting there in an air-conditioned car is one thing, but spending at least another 2 hours there in 30C heat is a completely different kettle of fish.
    And then have the gall to go on National media to complain when 1 steward out of a probable 100+ has a problem with breastfeeding in public.

I'm not talking about "implementing" anything. I'm just saying that in other parts of the world, and I'm sure it's not just America, babies and children are regularly taken on long road trips with no ill effects and no judgemental comments about their parents capabilities. Sure isn't every journey "needless", unless it's for essentials like food and water? I'm currently needlessly taking my child in the car for a day out. Suppose we'd be better off at home away from the sun?

Seems to be a uniquely Irish thing that children being anywhere that isn't specifically child oriented is looked down upon. Then on the other hand there's people complaining about kids being mollycoddled. Any excuse to have a go at parents and usually mothers tbh.

This is a five month old we're talking about. Once they were shaded and fed/changed regularly then they will be prefectly capable of attending a sporting event without coming to harm. Noone else is told to eat or drink in the toilet so why should the baby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

As a nation, we tend to really struggle with the concept of Air Conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Because if he had he wouldn't be here bleating on about what a stress a car journey and a crowd is for a baby. If/when you have kids of your own you too will laugh at people who think kids should be wrapped cotton wool.

But maybe he thinks differently to you about parenting?

I have a 4 month old - he's basically outdoors from morning to evening for the last couple of weeks. Hasn't done him any harm whatsoever. In fact I'd argue that it has done him the world of good.

Fine, if you want a trump colored baby ;)

Grayson wrote: »
    Fine, if you want a trump colored baby ;)

Sure who wouldn't love a little Donald:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

A three hour car  journey.. the horror.. it’s a pity that cars don’t have windows or air conditioning in them. What do people in hot countries do when travelling with their babies. Horse and cart? 

Are people actually suggesting that the person is a bad parent because of this? Seriously? Calling social services?  About a child being brought to a match.

The temperature was in the twenties, it’s not the Congo. You have led very sheltered lives.  And are completely missing the point.

It’s a five month old not a newborn it probably slept in the car, they are really portable at that age. Its fine. Relax.
    The steward told the woman she could not feed the child, which I think is a bigger danger to a baby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

PARlance wrote: »
    As a nation, we tend to really struggle with the concept of Air Conditioning.

Could do with it now for sure but would it really be worth installing it for 4 or 5 weeks a year. Its not cheap to buy or run, it costs more to cool a room than to heat it up I believe.

Sure who wouldn't love a little Donald:D

awwwww. their hands are so tiny.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I got the impression that she wanted to get into seating she didn't have a ticket for...but then I'm not familiar with the ground in question.
    I felt that was more the issue for the steward (fairly legitimate I suppose), rather than the fact she wanted to breastfeed. It's just being reported in a slightly skewed way (unsurprisingly).
    Breastfeeding myself, but I wouldn't expect to be let in where I don't have a ticket for just to BF .I'd plan it for the car or somewhere nearby that suited better.
    And to the poster way back....very Irish people tend to call babies Senan....like...GAA fans.It's far more common than you'd think these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Could do with it now for sure but would it really be worth installing it for 4 or 5 weeks a year. Its not cheap to buy or run, it costs more to cool a room than to heat it up I believe.

In cars.

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    I got the impression that she wanted to get into seating she didn't have a ticket for...but then I'm not familiar with the ground in question.
    I felt that was more the issue for the steward (fairly legitimate I suppose), rather than the fact she wanted to breastfeed. It's just being reported in a slightly skewed way (unsurprisingly).
    Breastfeeding myself, but I wouldn't expect to be let in where I don't have a ticket for just to BF .I'd plan it for the car or somewhere nearby that suited better.
    And to the poster way back....very Irish people tend to call babies Senan....like...GAA fans.It's far more common than you'd think these days

He told her that she couldn’t breastfeed anywhere in the ground except the toilets though. My understanding is that was the reason she’s making such a big deal of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's part of the modern "child inclusive" culture. Can't move in restaurants nowadays without either buggys or high chairs taking up room, or slightly older toddlers wanting to dash around.

Back in the day, we weren't allow go to matches until we were old enough to understand the game itself and starting to develop an interest in the sport. Restaurants were an exclusive preserve of mammy and daddy apart from the odd family gathering.

Now the number of crying babies at public places/events have increased ten-fold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

bee06 wrote: »
    He told her that she couldn’t breastfeed anywhere in the ground except the toilets though. My understanding is that was the reason she’s making such a big deal of it.
    Knowing the ground in Newbridge I don’t understand why she wanted to sit up in that particular section and drag a buggy up.. at 5pm the ground would have been almost empty with loads of other seats.
    The stewards telling her to use the toilet was definitely wrong because I think bad enough of taking a leek in the jacks in St Conleth’s never mind feed a child.
    As I said loads of room at that time all he had to do was direct her somewhere else
    Like the other stewards did, I can imagine this was an elderly gentleman as most do be in Newbridge. It’s no excuse though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

I’ve been in pairc ui chaoimh with a breastfeeding 2 month old, granted it was for city sports but equally as packed as a match. I don’t see any issue there. Although I did bring a sling, naturally, who wants to be arsing around with a buggy on a stadium stand?!

What I can’t understand is why didn’t she book seats for the match. She knew she would have to breastfeed so why go knowing there were not going to be any seats available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Sadb wrote: »
    I’ve been in pairc ui chaoimh with a breastfeeding 2 month old, granted it was for city sports but equally as packed as a match. I don’t see any issue there. Although I did bring a sling, naturally, who wants to be arsing around with a buggy on a stadium stand?!

What I can’t understand is why didn’t she book seats for the match. She knew she would have to breastfeed so why go knowing there were not going to be any seats available?

There was no reserved seating option available. Did you even listen to her? She knew the layout of the ground and was in early to get a seat as it was first come first serve

There was no reserved seating option available. Did you even listen to her? She knew the layout of the ground and was in early to get a seat as it was first come first serve
    Why then did she head straight for a section that was cordoned off ? as I said at 5pm the place would have been very quiet and she could have had her choice of seat in the general section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Did she have a ticket for the baby?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone else reading the thread title to the tune of French Kissing in the USA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Noveight wrote: »
    Who names a baby Senan? How would you look at an hour old baby and go "That's the head of a Senan if ever I saw one"

My father-in-law was almost Senan. It’s an old Clare name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Eh, no, I didn’t even listen to her, just read the article at the beginning of the thread.
    If she was in early to get a seat then why didn’t she sit in one of the available seats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

_Dara_ wrote: »
    My father-in-law was almost Senan. It’s an old Clare name.

So Sena?

So Sena?

No, Nan. It’s unusual but he rocks it! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I heard she once auditioned to join The Blockheads but got turned down.

Because that would be adding Iseult to Ian Dury.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well I just discovered my parents should be reported for child cruelty because we drobve longer than three hours for sun holidays in scorching heat when my brother and I were really small. You'd think there is Armageddon going on when there is a bit of heat or a bit of snow by the reaction of some here. Cop on, it's not even that hot and I actually admire when people do the stuff they like despite having small children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Well I just discovered my parents should be reported for child cruelty because we drobve longer than three hours for sun holidays in scorching heat when my brother and I were really small. You'd think there is Armageddon going on when there is a bit of heat or a bit of snow by the reaction of some here. Cop on, it's not even that hot and I actually admire when people do the stuff they like despite having small children.

Those people must live very sheltered lives, and not realise the appalling conditions and abuse some kids are suffering through if they think a 3 hour air conditioned car journey is worthy of investigation or even interest by social services.

Aye, once a few windows are open, a car in motion stays plenty cool on a hot day by Ireland’s standards. And of course, some cars have AC too. People are indeed being a bit dramatic.

Maybe they could share a cell with my parents. 8 hours in France with 5 of us in the back and not a seat belt between us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Those people must live very sheltered lives, and not realise the appalling conditions and abuse some kids are suffering through if they think a 3 hour air conditioned car journey is worthy of investigation or even interest by social services.

I believe the appalling abuse that the kid had to endure and will endure forever being referred to in this thread is being born in Mayo and becoming a Mayo fan.
    Shudder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Who wants to sit in a car for hours and go to a match with a baby?

Matches have crowds and shouting, can't really think of a worse place to have a baby at. Child yes, but why subject a baby to a match. Will she ask the crowd to not cheer for a score when the baby is ready for a nap. Ridiculous.

I found that our babies preferred noise to be honest...

But taking on the hassle of taking a kid into into a GAA ground would be a long way beyond me

• Advertisement

Fairly ridiculous though to ask the lady to leave.

I often drove the length of the country when the kids were babies..A few breaks in between and they were happy out.
    Brother drives to France with kids no problem..
    The argument that the drive from mayo was to long is a silly one..
    While I agree somewhat that a football game isn’t the ideal location for a 5 month old.
    I do have fond memories of my dad lifting me over many a stile in football pitches all over the country including Crough Park from 4 upward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Before I read the full story in the Indo I just thought a woman had been stopped breastfeeding by a steward at a GAA match.
    Totally shocked to hear that the woman took her child on a THREE AND A HALF HOUR car journey from Mayo to Newbridge on one of the hottest days in 40 years to attend an extremely noisy GAA match.
    Honestly I think this woman has far bigger issues than the breastfeeding excuse.
    The ISPCC should come out and highlight her actions.

Oh FFS should parents with babies not also go on holidays or for that matter leave the house?
    Was the stadium also air-conditioned.??
    Somebody here already said stadiums can be cool if you are under a covered roof. well any game i've been at over the last few weeks its been absolutely boiling (unless those coveted suites in Croker) and I wouldn't dream of taking a 5 month old child to a game in this weather, 3 and a half hours from home.

How the fook do people manage in hot countries ?
    Have you ever been in Seville in the summer or the middle of the outback where the nearest town is 3 1/2 hours away ?
    Personally I wouldn't take a baby that age to a match but each to their own. She had older kids and maybe couldn't find a baby sitter or hell maybe she always goes herself.
    We Mayo folk are dedicated like that.

BTW I think that stewart would have a major problem reading this thread as there are some amount of t i t s on show here.

I am not allowed discuss …

lawred2 wrote: »
    Fairly ridiculous though to ask the lady to leave.

Was she not simply told that she couldn’t sit in an area she had no ticket for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe someday the kid will get to attend a Mayo game where they win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A couple of years ago a friend of mine was told by a bar manager that if she didn't leave the disabled cubicle where she was breastfeeding , he would call the Gardai . The bar manager was accompanied by two doormen as well.

In saying that , it was about 3am , she was pissed , bollock naked and the bloke she was " breastfeeding" was a randomer in his 30s she met an hour earlier at the bar.

• Advertisement

Was she not simply told that she couldn’t sit in an area she had no ticket for?

That's not exactly what was reported.. is that the case?

Reading the article she looked for a seat and was told that the only ones available were the toilets. Not very PC, I know. She could have just fed the baby in the car seeing as she knew that seats were limited.

I think the seats she was heading for were reserved plus she was trying to bring buggy up into the stands.. the steward then stopped her and when she asked where it was best to go he said you can’t do that in the stands and stupidly directed her to use the toilet instead of directing her to the unreserved seats..
    Now what ever about using a nice clean baby changing room in a hotel or shopping centre you certainly don’t want to be feeding a child in the toilets of St Conleth’s Park...she again tried to bring the buggy up into the stands in the unreserved area..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Had she a ticket for the child? At what age do they need a separate ticket?
    I thought the days of kids over the turnstile were over?

Had she a ticket for the child? At what age do they need a separate ticket?
    I thought the days of kids over the turnstile were over?
    It’s was only a 5 month old child hardly going to taking up seat ...I don’t know anywhere that charges for a baby..
    Normally only start charging around 5 years old

• Advertisement
Advertisement