Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breastfeeding and the GAA

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Also if the toilets are anything like as unsanitary as most GAA grounds, then feeding a child in there would probably be a recipe for a vomiting bug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Maybe someday the kid will get to attend a Mayo game where they win.

Jeeze I wonder how they ever managed to get to so many All Ireland finals over the last few years without winning a game.

I used to actual want Galway to win, but seeing the amount of shyte coming out of that county recently I am changing my mind.

You should remember you could just barely beat 14 men from that Mayo team that never seems to win. ;)

For all Mayo's faults they bring drama as opposed to boredom.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

harr wrote: »
    I often drove the length of the country when the kids were babies..A few breaks in between and they were happy out.
    Brother drives to France with kids no problem..
    The argument that the drive from mayo was to long is a silly one..
    While I agree somewhat that a football game isn’t the ideal location for a 5 month old.
    I do have fond memories of my dad lifting me over many a stile in football pitches all over the country including Crough Park from 4 upward

There is a big difference between a 5 month old baby and a 4 year old. I can't understand why you would bring a baby there with no real proper facilities not to mention the noise. A club game would be easier where you could wheel a buggy around the place but not an intercounty game. A baby should not be out in warm sunshine anyway whatever about the air conditioned journey. Can easily get dehydrated or even sunstroke at such a tender age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

jmayo wrote: »
    Jeeze I wonder how they ever managed to get to so many All Ireland finals over the last few years without winning a game.

I used to actual want Galway to win, but seeing the amount of shyte coming out of that county recently I am changing my mind.

You should remember you could just barely beat 14 men from that Mayo team that never seems to win. ;)

For all Mayo's faults they bring drama as opposed to boredom.

We have been getting the same slagging for years in the hurling but we don't get as defensive about it as ye lads next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We have been getting the same slagging for years in the hurling but we don't get as defensive about it as ye lads next door.

Ah now admit it you don't get the incessant loser tag attached to ye.
    Maybe all the underage and club success helps.

The gas thing is how many people, and not just certain dubs, will claim Mayo are a bunch of useless losers and in the next sentence claim this Dublin team is the greatest ever. It can't be both.

BTW I have always cheered for Galway in hurling and even football, up till now anyway. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Was she not simply told that she couldn’t sit in an area she had no ticket for?

That was the impression that I got from reading the article as well. The steward was stopping her from going into a specially reserved area when she wanted to feed her baby, and when she asked where she should go he said the toilets (not the best answer obviously).
    But I don't think he was specifically asking her not to breastfeed in public, but not to go into reserved areas that she didn't have a ticket for.

It sounds to me as if there was fault on both sides, the GAA graciously apologised and sorted the situation, but the mother still went charging to the papers to do a 'mother prevented from breastfeeding' story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Technically illegal. Mother has a right to feed her child anywhere she likes, any place at all. And rightly so.
    bee06 wrote: »
    It is illegal to prevent a woman from breastfeeding in any public place. Here’s some more information in which laws protect it. http://www.friendsofbreastfeeding.ie/wp/info-packs/breastfeeding-basics-0-12-months/breastfeeding-in-public-and-the-law/
    Grayson wrote: »
    Trying to square up your comment with what happened.
    In her original version of the story, it wasn't that she couldn't breastfeed on the grounds, just the reserved section for which she didn't have the correct ticket. She didn't have a ticket...she didn't get in. That's not to say that the first steward wasn't a bit ignorant.

Did she consider feeding the baby in her lovely air-conditioned car before going in? And if she did, did somebody say that she went in two hours before the game started? Why would you do that with a five month old child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Did she consider feeding the baby in her lovely air-conditioned car before going in? And if she did, did somebody say that she went in two hours before the game started? Why would you do that with a five month old child?
    If you have a method to persuade a baby to feed when it's convenient to mother and not when it's convenient to them you are onto a winner. Patent your idea because you'll make millions. Especially handy if you can programme them not to look for food before 8 in the morning.

meeeeh wrote: »
    If you have a method to persuade a baby to feed when it's convenient to mother and not when it's convenient to them you are onto a winner. Patent your idea because you'll make millions. Especially handy if you can programme them not to look for food before 8 in the morning.

Maybe include a hefty dose of cop on too. She wasn’t banned from breastfeeding. She was declined admission to an area she didn’t have a ticket for. She then attempted to bring her buggy to an unsafe area. Blaming the stewards for not having an area for her to breastfeed in comfort is ridiculous. If she’s such a huge GAA follower, then she knows what facilities are available at each venue. Millions of mothers Worldwide breastfeed in many different situations without making a fuss.

Maybe include a hefty dose of cop on too. She wasn’t banned from breastfeeding. She was declined admission to an area she didn’t have a ticket for. She then attempted to bring her buggy to an unsafe area. Blaming the stewards for not having an area for her to breastfeed in comfort is ridiculous. If she’s such a huge GAA follower, then she knows what facilities are available at each venue. Millions of mothers Worldwide breastfeed in many different situations without making a fuss.
    As far as know she wasn't blaming stewards for that and on Newstalk she actually said how nice other stewards were and how they helped her. It was one steward with complete lack of cop on and I suspect full of self importance.

• Advertisement

As far as know she wasn't blaming stewards for that and on Newstalk she actually said how nice other stewards were and how they helped her. It was one steward with complete lack of cop on and I suspect full of self importance.

Yes in general the GAA and the Stewards behaved well. One was a bit of an idiot telling her to use the toilets. But that's all that happened. One Steward, who quite rightly prevented her from going into a reserved area, tactlessly suggested the toilets when she asked for an alternative.
    Did she really have to go rushing off to the media complaining? It would be totally different if all officials had refused to accommodate her. But she seems to be on some kind of crusade here.

Still doesn’t give her the right to barge in where she’s not entitled to go. Yes, the steward concerned was a prat. She didn’t cover herself in glory either.

Yes in general the GAA and the Stewards behaved well. One was a bit of an idiot telling her to use the toilets. But that's all that happened. One Steward, who quite rightly prevented her from going into a reserved area, tactlessly suggested the toilets when she asked for an alternative.
    Did she really have to go rushing off to the media complaining? It would be totally different if all officials had refused to accommodate her. But she seems to be on some kind of crusade here.

Yeah how a dares she. She should just keep quiet and take it like a good little woman...

Yeah how a dares she. She should just keep quiet and take it like a good little woman...

“It’s best keep ones mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.” Mark Twain, I think.

“It’s best keep ones mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.” Mark Twain, I think.

Isn't Mark Twain great, he had a quote for every occasion. They are used in even when they have no relevance...

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Mach Two

It's far wiser to keep your mouth shut and for everyone to think you are a fool than to open it and be known as a fool.

Take what? One idiot of a Steward told her to use the toilets. Other stewards treated her with courtesy. But still she went running to the media. Why? It is quite clear it isn't GAA policy to discourage breast feeding on its premises. She just met a Steward who quite rightly wouldn't let her into a reserve area, but didn't have the nous to find somewhere appropriate to breast feed. More professional employees sorted the problem. There was nothing to 'keep quiet' about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Who's breastfeeding the GAA I don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

You could say she made a tit of herself here.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement