Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which union would you join as an NQT?

Options
  • 04-07-2018 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I have just finished my PME and was lucky enough to get a 22hr a week RPT contract. In this case what union should I join? I really have no idea what the differences between the 2 unions are besides the amount of time required to get CID. I’ve heard that you get paid for subbing and supervision with the TUI but that’s really all that I’ve heard about them. Im working in an ETB school if that makes any odds! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

You could ring either union and ask !
    ASTI 01-6040160
    TUI 01 492 2588

Probably wait till you're in the school for a few days. One of the older teachers would know. Unless you want to know about contracts right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Tacadh wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I have just finished my PME and was lucky enough to get a 22hr a week RPT contract. In this case what union should I join? I really have no idea what the differences between the 2 unions are besides the amount of time required to get CID. I’ve heard that you get paid for subbing and supervision with the TUI but that’s really all that I’ve heard about them. Im working in an ETB school if that makes any odds! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

You need to find out what union/a have negotiating rights in the school. We are technically a dual union ETB school but all staff are TUI and have been for a long time (before all the union hopping started). Many ETBs would be TUI only, ASTI have no negotiating rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yes TUI are usually in ETB schools. Wait til you start in August, as you don't want to be in a different union to everyone else, look out for union notice board or ask someone . Someone in the school has to witness your form anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Hi everyone,

Who told you that you get paid S&S for being in the TUI?

You should join the TUI if you're in an ETB school, but I'd hold off until I see what the story is in the school.

Well done on wanting the join a union so early, but remember the union is only as good as its members. Be active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Hi everyone,

As things stand it does not mater one iota which union you join regarding the terms and conditions which you are employed under.

That may change in the Autumn depending on what happens in the fight for pay equality, if for example the TUI use their current mandate for industrial action and the Asti fail to follow. Then TUI members would be the one penalised.

You can join any union you wish. Your school may only have one union, then most people sign up to that one but wait and see when you start what the situation is in your school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

That may change in the Autumn depending on what happens in the fight for pay equality, if for example the TUI use their current mandate for industrial action and the Asti fail to follow. Then TUI members would be the one penalised.

It would be hilarious to see people jumping ship once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

TUI will never use any mandate they have. Perish the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

TUI will never use any mandate they have. Perish the thought.

I agree. I actually see the TUI as the weakest teacher union, however INTO are no better as we are well aware.

The autumn will be interesting. I thought there was a joint motion to have pay equalisation by May which has not matierialsed as of yet. Nothing new there either I suppose. Tragic for us LPTs.

Sir123 wrote: »
    I agree. I actually see the TUI as the weakest teacher union, however INTO are no better as we are well aware.

The autumn will be interesting. I thought there was a joint motion to have pay equalisation by May which has not matierialsed as of yet. Nothing new there either I suppose. Tragic for us LPTs.

Currently all publuc service unions are in discussions with the government on pay equality. The others are slowly waking up to the fact that it is going to impact on their members now that the wider public service has begun recruiting again.
    The department of education actually are backing pay restoration as they want it over and done with, however some of the other unions are pushing other agendas as far as i know which is holding up a final proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Currently all publuc service unions are in discussions with the government on pay equality. The others are slowly waking up to the fact that it is going to impact on their members now that the wider public service has begun recruiting again.
    The department of education actually are backing pay restoration as they want it over and done with, however some of the other unions are pushing other agendas as far as i know which is holding up a final proposal.

I don't think anything will happen prematurely until fempi is unwound. Teachers would be the very last of the public service to get any special concessions outside of the agreement.

• Advertisement

I don't think anything will happen prematurely until fempi is unwound. Teachers would be the very last of the public service to get any special concessions outside of the agreement.

A problem for teachers is that some of oir salary os made up by way of qualification allowances.
    To give full equality these will need restoring.
    However if you remember during the recession, the government managed to get rid of a lot of the dubious allowances that had crept in over the years to various groups of public servants. Some of the other unions are now using this as an opportunity to try and re-establish these saying if the teachers are getting them so should we

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

I didn't realise the Department of Education were so strong on it. Has there been any mention in the media of this or is it the talk of politics up that side of the country I wonder?

There should be pay equalisation across the public sector regardless. These other agendas that other unions have could not be as important.

In relation to your point on allowances, I always thought teachers got a degree allowance (honours or pass rate) and this was seen as part of the core makeup of teachers' pay. I don't see why other unions would question this allowance as it was always a core element of pay to my understanding.

There is still way over a 10% deficit in pay for teachers on this scale and it gets worse as you progress.

Take a teacher with ten years teaching who has a honours degree and hons hdip/pme. They would be currently 15.3% worse off that that of the pre 2011 scale. This is inclusive of the new revised salary scale for teachers that somehow incorporated an honours degree allowance.

All other public servants have a max of a 10% cut as far as I am aware. The Gardaí sorted out their rent allowance but still have the 10% cut. I don't think the incorporation of the hons degree allowance was as straight forward as we all thought. It seems as if it's not implemented in full until a significant time in a teacher's career. I must sit down and go through it properly.

I really think teachers have taken a big chunk of the cuts and I'm not saying that solely because I am one.

I just wanted to state the discrepancy above for other posters just so that they are aware. Pay inequality is nearly a decade old. It's quite shocking isn't it.

Thanks for the update on the talks process. I have been out of the loop a little not to this summer. Hopefully this issue will be resolved once and for all.

With regards to the OP, wait until you start in the school and go with the majority or the only union if it a vol sec school. Congratulations on your 22hr contract, a contract which isn't easy to get in one's first year.

Sir123 wrote: »
    I didn't realise the Department of Education were so strong on it. Has there been any mention in the media of this or is it the talk of politics up that side of the country I wonder?

There should be pay equalisation across the public sector regardless. These other agendas that other unions have could not be as important.

In relation to your point on allowances, I always thought teachers got a degree allowance (honours or pass rate) and this was seen as part of the core makeup of teachers' pay. I don't see why other unions would question this allowance as it was always a core element of pay to my understanding.

There is still way over a 10% deficit in pay for teachers on this scale and it gets worse as you progress.

Take a teacher with ten years teaching who has a honours degree and hons hdip/pme. They would be currently 15.3% worse off that that of the pre 2011 scale. This is inclusive of the new revised salary scale for teachers that somehow incorporated an honours degree allowance.

All other public servants have a max of a 10% cut as far as I am aware. The Gardaí sorted out their rent allowance but still have the 10% cut. I don't think the incorporation of the hons degree allowance was as straight forward as we all thought. It seems as if it's not implemented in full until a significant time in a teacher's career. I must sit down and go through it properly.

I really think teachers have taken a big chunk of the cuts and I'm not saying that solely because I am one.

I just wanted to state the discrepancy above for other posters just so that they are aware. Pay inequality is nearly a decade old. It's quite shocking isn't it.

Thanks for the update on the talks process. I have been out of the loop a little not to this summer. Hopefully this issue will be resolved once and for all.

With regards to the OP, wait until you start in the school and go with the majority or the only union if it a vol sec school. Congratulations on your 22hr contract, a contract which isn't easy to get in one's first year.

The feeling in the department is that this battle has gone on too long and has been in fact for a few years now, but DPER would never agree with them as the knock on claim from the rest of the public service was too big for them to stomach.

Its easier to provide pay equality for primary level as they only have one allowance on top of their core pay, but at second level the salary may have two qualification allowances, one for degree and one for hdip or masters. This is what alerted some of the other unions to allowances.

Advertisement