Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sesame

Options
  • 04-07-2018 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I checked the fibrerollout.ie map every so often to see if fibre has reached us and I'm delighted to see today that my housing estate is finally green and I zoomed right in to be sure!

Previously all around our estate was green and we remained uncoloured. Now the whole area is green. We never went to the blue stage with fibre planned which I was expecting. but this is great to see.

I entered my phone number but sadly, it still says I can't get fibre and only speeds of up to 4mb, which is what it has said for the 3 years I've lived here. In reality I only get 2.4mb which drops completely about 5 times a day. 
    Is the phone number check delayed behind the map?
    I am hoping the map is more up to date?

I can send you my full address to check but if your check is the same as the phone number postcode check, will you just come back to me saying it isn't available? In which case, why would the map shade my area green now?

Also, I'm looking to move house later this year. If the map says fibre is available to me here and the reality is that it isn't, how reliable is the map? Its really important to me after living with rubbish speeds for so long, its top of my list for a new house. But if I can't enter a phone number (not publicly available if I'm not living there) how can I depend on the map for an accurate answer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Sesame wrote: »
    Hi,

I checked the fibrerollout.ie map every so often to see if fibre has reached us and I'm delighted to see today that my housing estate is finally green and I zoomed right in to be sure!

Previously all around our estate was green and we remained uncoloured. Now the whole area is green. We never went to the blue stage with fibre planned which I was expecting. but this is great to see.

I entered my phone number but sadly, it still says I can't get fibre and only speeds of up to 4mb, which is what it has said for the 3 years I've lived here. In reality I only get 2.4mb which drops completely about 5 times a day. 
    Is the phone number check delayed behind the map?
    I am hoping the map is more up to date?

I can send you my full address to check but if your check is the same as the phone number postcode check, will you just come back to me saying it isn't available? In which case, why would the map shade my area green now?

Also, I'm looking to move house later this year. If the map says fibre is available to me here and the reality is that it isn't, how reliable is the map? Its really important to me after living with rubbish speeds for so long, its top of my list for a new house. But if I can't enter a phone number (not publicly available if I'm not living there) how can I depend on the map for an accurate answer?
    Hi Sesame, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today. 

The maps are for illustrative purposes only so may not always be accurate I'm afraid. 

Feel free to PM me your full address and Eircode and I can clarify this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Thank you, what does illustrative purposes mean?

In this context, I should add. I mean, does illustrative purposes mean the map means nothing, or is it just an example, or something else?

If my house was in a grey area and is now in a blue area, does this not mean that someone has gone to the effort of changing it for a particular reason? Illustrative purposes doesn't really explain it to me.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Sesame wrote: »
    In this context, I should add. I mean, does illustrative purposes mean the map means nothing, or is it just an example, or something else?

If my house was in a grey area and is now in a blue area, does this not mean that someone has gone to the effort of changing it for a particular reason? Illustrative purposes doesn't really explain it to me.

Thank you
    For illustrative purposes means it's an example so may not always be accurate, unfortunately. 

If you PM me your details, I will be able to clarify the situation at your address for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey

Interesting thanks. I'll stop relying on the maps when look for future homes then. 

• Advertisement
Advertisement