Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LL talked about increasing rent...but didn't

Options
  • 04-07-2018 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

A few months ago my landlord talked about increasing the rent but was trying to increase it beyond the rent pressure limit, and he never got back to me. I continued paying the old rent. He's contact me saying that the rent was meant to go up several months ago.

I'm just curious what my rights/obligations are? We never made an agreement, can he claim the rent previously?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

A few months ago my landlord talked about increasing the rent but was trying to increase it beyond the rent pressure limit, and he never got back to me. I continued paying the old rent. He's contact me saying that the rent was meant to go up several months ago.

I'm just curious what my rights/obligations are? We never made an agreement, can he claim the rent previously?

In a nutshell no, they have to give you formal notice of increasing the rent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Others will be along shortly with the exact information but I'm pretty sure he has to notify you in writing 30 days prior to the rent going up.
    Saying it verbally means nothing so no he can't get the 'arrears'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Caliden wrote: »
    Others will be along shortly with the exact information but I'm pretty sure he has to notify you in writing 30 days prior to the rent going up.
    Saying it verbally means nothing so no he can't get the 'arrears'.

90 days notice, not thirty, and the notice must comply with the statutory obligations - setting out the formula. in your case, assuming this is the first rent increase since the RPZ legislaiton came in and your tenancy began before RPZ legislation came in increase is

4% * number of months since last rent raise / 24. So 2% per annum. Months are calculated to date rent increase takes effect (90 days after the notice).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

You have no obligation whatsoever. The landlord has to give you a 90 day notice in writing, just mentioning it isn't enough! Once he has given you a valid notice in writing and you haven't disputed it, you will have to pay the increased rent when the 90 days are up.

Some info here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/rental-rights-here-s-everything-tenants-need-to-know-1.3194863

More to be found on the RTB and Citizens Information websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bainneban

Is he trying to claim back rent for the increase? Like the others have said, it must be in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Thanks guy.

Apologies I should have been clearer, he sent me a text about it, but was looking for an increase in excess of the controls. Does that count as written?
    He hasn't said what he's looking for. I just wanted to ask before I replied to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Thanks guy.

Apologies I should have been clearer, he sent me a text about it, but was looking for an increase in excess of the controls. Does that count as written?
    He hasn't said what he's looking for. I just wanted to ask before I replied to him.

Don't give him too much information, let him figure it out but a text is not a valid rent review.

I'd just tell him that you didn't receive a rent review and so have continued to pay the agreed rent.

More reading here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Apologies I should have been clearer, he sent me a text about it, but was looking for an increase in excess of the controls. Does that count as written? He hasn't said what he's looking for. I just wanted to ask before I replied to him.

Don't delete that text. It might come in useful in the event of a dispute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

There is a handy calculator that you can use to confirm that the LL is not chancing his arm.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz

Advertisement