Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biometric Fingerprint scanner options?

• 04-07-2018 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone knows of any kind of bio metric fingerprint scanner options or reliable models?

Have heard TimeMoto a few times but is it a reliable option?

Interested in installing them in a few different locations/Stores and manage from a cloud system to check up on different locations.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I used to work for a company who used a biometric fingerprint scanner for checking in and out of the office. It felt degrading and like a breach of privacy.

I know this isn't the type of comment you are looking for, but I think it's worth considering the morale implications of fingerprint scanners...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

True its not but its valid input for the decision making process and taking it on board.

I can understand that feeling, but it does have some draws to be fair like not being able to have someone clock in for you, time taken for breaks or lateness and bluffing about over time.

I do see your point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Chacha97 wrote: »
    True its not but its valid input for the decision making process and taking it on board.

I can understand that feeling, but it does have some draws to be fair like not being able to have someone clock in for you, time taken for breaks or lateness and bluffing about over time.

I do see your point though.

I think that's the whole point Chacha, thinking so little of your employees that it's necessary to spend a wedge on biometric scanning. It sends all of the wrong vibes to employees.

GDPR also means they can refuse to give you their biometric data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I can’t see how fingerprint can be refused for gdpr where cctv is allowed considering facial recognition is so widely available.
    Even ANPR can be employed in car park cctv.

Bio scanner is quick, convenient, easily tracked, green in that there are no timecards, no lost clock cards.
    I worked briefly where it was brought in and the only employees who fought its implementation were lads who would be losers in the system, serial clock evaders, leaving early and mates clocking them out etc. Most people didn’t care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

Is your intention for conditional access or time recording?

Like many companies we currently use wireless ID cards for conditional access, i.e. who can open what door, etc. Personally I would find a biometric solution much more convenient. It's much easier to put your finger into a scanner rather than bring the card within proximity of the reader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

skallywag wrote: »
    Is your intention for conditional access or time recording?

Like many companies we currently use wireless ID cards for conditional access, i.e. who can open what door, etc. Personally I would find a biometric solution much more convenient. It's much easier to put your finger into a scanner rather than bring the card within proximity of the reader.

It would more so be for time recording to stop people clocking others in, not being truthful about overtime etc and forgetting cards or fobs etc

_Brian wrote: »
    I can’t see how fingerprint can be refused for gdpr where cctv is allowed considering facial recognition is so widely available.
    Even ANPR can be employed in car park cctv.

Bio scanner is quick, convenient, easily tracked, green in that there are no timecards, no lost clock cards.
    I worked briefly where it was brought in and the only employees who fought its implementation were lads who would be losers in the system, serial clock evaders, leaving early and mates clocking them out etc. Most people didn’t care.

Under GDPR, biometric data collection can only be allowed either by consent or unless its meet one of several requirements which this wouldn't. It's in the special category of personal data meaning that unless it meets a requirement or consented to by the subject, you can't deploy it.

Meaning that while you can certainly install a biometric system and ask people to use it, they're perfectly in their rights to tell you where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

troyzer wrote: »
    Under GDPR, biometric data collection can only be allowed either by consent or unless its meet one of several requirements which this wouldn't. It's in the special category of personal data meaning that unless it meets a requirement or consented to by the subject, you can't deploy it.

Meaning that while you can certainly install a biometric system and ask people to use it, they're perfectly in their rights to tell you where to go.

I think it would be covered by
    Processing is necessary for the purposes of carrying out the obligations and exercising specific rights of the controller or of the data subject in the fields of employment and social security and social protection law;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Wheety wrote: »
    I think it would be covered by
    Processing is necessary for the purposes of carrying out the obligations and exercising specific rights of the controller or of the data subject in the fields of employment and social security and social protection law;

You can't force people to hand over their fingerprints, the above would apply to things like your date of birth or marital status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Lux23 wrote: »
    You can't force people to hand over their fingerprints, the above would apply to things like your date of birth or marital status.

These are employees though. Can you refuse to give your employer your DOB?

Edit: I see what you're saying now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You would have to show examples of this, right now that is merely your opinion.

GDPR doesnt cover this type of thing specifically in relation to clocking employees in. Its not meant to protect against this because protection is not required. This type of data provided it is deleted and removed from the system upon their leaving the company is acceptable. Its sole purpose is accurate time keeping therefore has a use. The company isnt selling your data or using it for an other intended purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I sat through a whole day of GDPR training and what crossed my mind was that it would be rolled out by every crank who wanted to thwart progress in the workplace.

Here is an honest to god example of exactly that.

Fingerprint clocking is an excellent product and instantly eliminates issues of misconduct, only those abusing clocking systems could be against its genuine use.

If an employer employs the correct gdpr securities and policies I don’t believe an employee can use it as a clause not to participate. No the employee can’t be forced to comply, but if it’s introduced as a mandatory function and all gdpr guidelines are ensured then the employee is making themselves unemployable by refusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

To use biometric data, the employer has to be able to rely on one of the grounds here. The only one I think that applies is consent

http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/article-9-processing-of-special-categories-of-personal-data-GDPR.htm

Vetch wrote: »
    To use biometric data, the employer has to be able to rely on one of the grounds here. The only one I think that applies is consent

http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/article-9-processing-of-special-categories-of-personal-data-GDPR.htm

Yes, this is what I'm saying. I don't think the other posters here understand that it's not a case of handwaving. Unless you can legally justify that you NEED to take their fingerprints, you have to get their consent.

And GDPR special categories do not allow you to make consent a condition of employment or service.

I can't see any reason why any decent employee would not give consent to such a system.

Agree fully with the comment a few posts up that it could be a dream for those who like nothing better than being as awkward as possible.

skallywag wrote: »
    I can't see any reason why any decent employee would not give consent to such a system.

Agree fully with the comment a few posts up that it could be a dream for those who like nothing better than being as awkward as possible.

Personally I wouldn't be a fan of handing my fingerprints over to my boss. Easily stolen.

Personally I wouldn't be a fan of handing my fingerprints over to my boss. Easily stolen.

That data is encrypted (if the system is any way half-decent) and cannot usually be easily stolen.

If I want to get someones fingerprint there are much easier ways to go about this than through biometric data. I just need to pick up a glass you have just used etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It actually isn't. A lot of the fingerprint scanners don't record an image of your fingerprint but rather convert it into a series of numbers that are unique to each individual. If the system was hacked, all the hackers would get would be that series of numbers for each employee.

It also means that it doesn't necessarily come under the biometric data for GDPR as the company are not actually storing any biometric data in reality.

I've worked for businesses with stores who used it instead of having door codes, clock in cards or swipe cards as there was a large turnover of seasonal staff and saved costs of chasing swipe cards or changing codes. Haven't seen an employee object to it but if they did try to under GDPR, you'd just need an alternative available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Do you give companies your passwords? Of course, because they need to verify you are who you are.

Your passwords aren't stored in plain text (I hope). Neither will your fingerprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Lets not forget that phones have fingerprint scanners as standard these days also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

It is OK to share fingerprints with Apple or Samsung, to share your thoughts on Twitter, you holidays and new purchases on FB, fitness activity on Strava, holidays and weekends on Instagram, health, financial, family data with countless personal data aggregators and so on. But biometric fingerprint scanner at work becomes serious threat to personal privacy......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Some would work real hard in bursts and take extra breaks some people plod along and take exact breaks and get work done. Some people take the pee.
    If work isn’t being done there’s your evidence.

The people taking the pee will just start their lunch break in the office ten minutes before they leave and finish their lunch break in the office ten minutes after they get back.

It will just breed a sense of doing as little as possible situation between these staff.

Instead responsibility and a good team leader would cost less and improve productivity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

As far as I'm aware most biometric systems don't even record your whole finger, they take a series of points, so the data is if no use to anyone and cannot replicate your fingerprint. So easily stolen isn't a great basis for objecting to it.

Advertisement