Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question About The Man In The Iron Mask

Options
  • 04-07-2018 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭

I've bought The Man In The Iron Mask (after reading The Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After) but only just realised that it's only part of a much longer novel, The Vicomte of Bragelonne.

Would you recommend that I read the whole novel or would I miss out on much just by reading The Man In The Iron Mask?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Well, I have to assume you've read The Count of Monte Cristo? If not, I'd say ignore everything else and do it, do it now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Pelvis wrote: »
    Well, I have to assume you've read The Count of Monte Cristo? If not, I'd say ignore everything else and do it, do it now!!!

Yeah, I have. Fantastic novel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

It is indeed. Possibly my favourite book ever.

I read The Three Musketeers after The Count of Monte Cristo and was severely disappointed in comparison. Hugely debating whether to read any more Dumas now, though the D'artangan series are on my To Read list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I've actually never read The Count of Monte Cristo. Is it a dense read? Think it's gonna be another classics read for the year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No, wouldn't call it dense, though it is long. It's not a difficult read at all. Might depend on the translation though. I personally couldn't speak highly enough of the Penguin Classics version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

quickbeam wrote: »
    No, wouldn't call it dense, though it is long. It's not a difficult read at all. Might depend on the translation though. I personally couldn't speak highly enough of the Penguin Classics version.

Long books are all good with me. Read Crime and Punishment a few months back and it was a bit of a mindblowing experience. Try to do a good mix of modern and classics.

Advertisement