Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External CCTV

Options
  • 04-07-2018 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, looking for some advice here.

I live in an estate in Co. Limerick that has been prone to anti-social behaviour. We have a stretch of wooden panels along the entrance drive. They are about 10 feet wide each and slotted between 8 foot high concrete pillars. Probably about 30-40 panels in total.

The issue is that teens (not from the estate, from a neighbouring area) have been shoulder barging the panels in the middle, buckling them at the midpoint and dislodging them from the stone pillars. Residents from my estate have been pretty good at banding together to reseat the panels whenever it happens, but we'd find another one bashed in a few days later.

We know who is doing it (apparently kids from a family that shouldn't be crossed), but the Gardai say they can't do anything about it unless they are caught in the act with a camera. They need photographic/video proof.

So to my question - what are my options for a mounted camera to monitor the fence? Even temporarily? Are there security companies who provide, install and monitor cameras on a short term basis? Would a motion camera that records anything that moves be useful here? Are there any other options that I haven't considered? Looking for costings for the various options too (just a ballpark).

FYI the fence isn't close enough to any houses to make use of WiFi.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Something like this might do the trick for you:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Wildlife-Infrared-Security-Surveillance-Green/dp/B074FVPTRQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1530705884&sr=8-3&keywords=motion+activated+camera

Note plenty of other similar options on amazon.

I was going to suggest Blink but the lack of wifi range rules that out.

Of course I've no idea how this all goes in terms of privacy laws and the new GDPR laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think the fence might be 50m long and the comments on that camera mention a 20m range. Maybe multiple cameras are an option there.

I think unless the cameras are very well hidden, they will be stolen/smashed. It will need to be high and out of reach I think.

Hadn't thought of GDPR. Good point.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Has any property got a view of the area you want to record.?
    Would a camera with decent resolution or decent zoom be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not really on topic for CCTV but if the vandals are minors even if caught on video nothing will be done. The only ground you gain is parents being told off by Gardai which in this case sounds like it will have no effect or exacerbate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

KoolKid wrote: »
    Has any property got a view of the area you want to record.?
    Would a camera with decent resolution or decent zoom be an option?

No I don't think so. There is a line of trees between the nearest houses and the fence in question.
    ED E wrote: »
    Not really on topic for CCTV but if the vandals are minors even if caught on video nothing will be done. The only ground you gain is parents being told off by Gardai which in this case sounds like it will have no effect or exacerbate it.

Yep, you're probably right. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Could you put reinforcing bars along the inside of the fences? At shoulder height? :D

Advertisement