Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lawn moving during heat

Options
  • 04-07-2018 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭

Is it ok to cut grass during this heatwave?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

cena wrote: »
    Is it ok to cut grass during this heatwave?

NO!
    it will stress an already stressed lawn. cut the blades and cause more water loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yeah but only top it, that is go over it and take the very tops of the leaves off along with grass seed stalks and weeds. I'd wouldn't go closer than 50 mm on a really good lawn and 75 mm on a rough one. If the grass is really long because its been left then go higher again.

The aim isn't so much as to cut the grass when its a drought more than to tidy it up and stop the weeds getting a head start.

NO!
    it will stress an already stressed lawn. cut the blades and cause more water loss.

Less leaf area less leaf area for transpiration (water loss).

But you don't go mad on it.

Edit> I'll be cutting my "golden" acre this afternoon and will cut at about 60mm to cut of grass seed heads and stop the weeds. A bit of green grass will be cut in the process but not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭cena

I only ask cause it is my turn to cut the estate lawns

I only ask cause it is my turn to cut the estate lawns

Well the answer is no then and you took expert advice ;):D

But honestly go up at least one cutting height from what its normally cut at and do a small area to see how it works out.

Additionally to my other comments you are trying to leave the grass in the best state for when it does eventually needs a proper cut again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭cena

my3cents wrote: »
    Well the answer is no then and you took expert advice ;):D

But honestly go up at least one cutting height from what its normally cut at and do a small area to see how it works out.

Additionally to my other comments you are trying to leave the grass in the best state for when it does eventually needs a proper cut again.

I was thinking of only cutting the top off with the mulching on

I was thinking of only cutting the top off with the mulching on

But what height is that compared to your normal cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm amazed anyone's grass is still growing enough to need a cut. All that's left alive in my lawn is effin dandelions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone else's lawn shrinking?

Mine is about half a cm away from the kerbing that it used to touch , and the edge looks like it's been sprayed with weedkiller.

Thankfully it has started to rain here now. Sweet, glorious rain.

I've about an acre and its still an acre :)

The formal lawn part is mostly brown but the shady parts are still all green and I've some nice areas with clover that are very green and I cut two grass boxes of grass and clover and stick it in our chicken run each night. The chicken run has got to that brown sandy dust bowl stage that looks like it could never ever become mud again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.....and more light rain.

Bring it on. It can rain all night now for all I care.

As long as the sun comes out again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

The top of my grass is starting to turn to seed. Would it do it some good to cut it at a very high level to get rid of these or just leave it till it starts to grow more.

jonnybravo wrote: »
    The top of my grass is starting to turn to seed. Would it do it some good to cut it at a very high level to get rid of these or just leave it till it starts to grow more.

I'd cut them sooner rather than later. Go up a notch from your usual cut so you aren't cutting much more that the "bents" (thats the name of the grasses that you really want in the lawn that create those seed heads) and any flowering weeds. The lawn will look much better as a result.

Advertisement