Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Heaters

Options
  • 04-07-2018 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭

Are there new heaters on the market which can replace the old type storage heaters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

I have actually just been looking into this and was on a website www.storageheater.ie and was wondering has anyone any experience of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Some people will recomand to replace them with modern electric heaters which don’t have the same storage capability but are more flexible in terms of when/how much you are hearing the room (Farho heaters and the likes), and others will tell you that not taking full advantage of night rates is madness and you’d better go for a new generation storage heater with good and flexible heat retention/extraction capability and a thermostat (for exemple Dimplex Quantum).

Just had our place renovated and we decided to go for a large Dimplex Quantum to heat the living/dining room and the hallway, and Farho ones in the bedrooms to replace the old basic panel heaters.

I’m honestly still not sure if it was the best choice or if we should have gone full Farho instead, as their seem to be strong options either way.

The company who installed them for us didn’t seem to be pushing one way or the other, and suggested to replace the old storage heater with a Quantum if there are people at home most of the day, and with a Farho otherwise, and as my partner is working from home we took their advice of retaining a storage heater for the living room.

With the weather right now, we probably won’t know if we are happy with this solution before some time though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LilyM1980

Hi All, I currently have dimplex storage heaters, they have been in my appartment since the complex was built. I am not using all the heaters and my bills are big even with the night time option , is there any other option where they are more economical and I would have a bit more control on when they come in and for how long.I guess I looking for a more modern heating that is more economical. All suggestion gladly received. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

LilyM1980 wrote: »
    Hi All, I currently have dimplex storage heaters, they have been in my appartment since the complex was built. I am not using all the heaters and my bills are big even with the night time option , is there any other option where they are more economical and I would have a bit more control on when they come in and for how long.I guess I looking for a more modern heating that is more economical. All suggestion gladly received. Thank you

If gas and oil aren't available to you and you are stuck with electricity then an air to air heat pump is usually the most effective and affordable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 grape3012

Hi - in a similar situation to you now. Looking back would you still have installed the storage heater or opted for all Farho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 patoffaly1971

Can anyone explain which settings you use for your storage heater? I have two settings on top and used this setup for the last 2 weeks since it became colder:

Input (always set at 4)

Output (always set on 4 during day, 0 at night)

Two switches on wall:

Switch 1 is always on

Switch 2 is never used, it just blasts heat out and would be costly

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sundirect

Yes there are many heaters right now easily available in market. Some of them are infrared heaters. Due to its high surface temperature, the infrared radiation is more efficient and can reach a distance of up to 4m heating up rooms very quickly. It takes less than 5 minutes to reach the maximum surface temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

ll

Advertisement