Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Box hair dye V Salon hair dye

Options
  • 04-07-2018 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭

History:
    used box hair dyes for years used to have lovely silky shiny browny / black hair.

Took a fit of madness got hair bleached and went red with hairdresser, cool hair awful condition, kept it up for 2 years, eventually dyed it back black back to the box dyes and hair went back to being normal again.

Fast forward to another fit of madness, red again under salon conditions, kept it for a year and a bit and now been brown under salon conditions for approx. year and a bit.

Regular cuts, sulphate free shampoo and conditioner, hair oil or Revlon spray to detangle and hair is still nowhere near where it needs to be constantly dry.

Is it mad to suggest your hair can just suit a box dye over a salon dye??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Yes because you’re not comparing box dye v salon colour but more than one application of bleach lightener. After bleaching, the hair can’t magically restore itself. The conditioner provided in the box dye packets contains silicones that coat the hair making it feel smooth but the hair will still have sustained some damage underneath, especially if you re-apply it over the same sections of hair every few weeks.

Also, it depends on how good a colourist your hairdresser is and the quality of the colouring products they use. For instance, Goldwell/Wella v XP100.

Presumably, you’d expect fresh good quality ingredients and a tastier meal eating in a 5* restaurant than from eating a happy meal from McDonalds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

MinnieMinx wrote: »

Also, it depends on how good a colourist your hairdresser is and the quality of the colouring products they use. For instance, Goldwell/Wella

The products by hairdresser would have used was Alfaparf which I think is a decent brand??

Silly question but if you were dying your hair brown in the salon every 8/9 weeks is there bleach in that colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Fiona wrote: »
    The products by hairdresser would have used was Alfaparf which I think is a decent brand??

Silly question but if you were dying your hair brown in the salon every 8/9 weeks is there bleach in that colour?

It probably depends if colour is lighter or darker. I get highlights every so often but don't do them to often because my hair is noticeably worse after a while and it only gets better when ends are properly trimmed. My hair is in fairly good condition without bothering with any special shampoos and I wash and dry them about 5 times per week as long as I don't go crazy with bleach. I dye my hair in salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Fiona wrote: »

No, it won’t contain bleach (also known as lightener) unless you’re going blonde.

Permanent hair colour contains hydrogen peroxide as the main activator and this can cause damage to the outer cuticle scales if it’s reapplied over the same area, especially the higher strength developers.

Advertisement