Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protein shake

• 04-07-2018 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Could you recommend a protein shake that is high in protein, low in carbs, ?
    . I need to increase my protein intake and I am trying to loose weight. I know the best way is to eat protein, I am a vegetarian and I am working on increasing my protein intake. I feel a good quality protein shake would be good to have at lunch time on busy days .

I would like if the protein shake was premixed but I think some of these are full of sugar. I hated premier protein shakes are good but I don’t think these are available here.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Are you sure you need extra protein?

Protein doesn't help you lose weight, a caloric deficit does.

If you aren't doing heavy exercise, your current intake might be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I am counting my calories on my fitness pal for some time now and have lost over a stone, but my protein intake is very poor. I find lunched the most difficult time to eat well, I though if I took a protein shake that I would have set calories and increase my protein intake also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I would suggest the ideal solution is to prep a lunch the night before, to remove the thinking about it/ temptation. I tend to bake chicken breasts and make my salads the night (or even for a couple of days) before.

However, if you do want a supplement solution... I do train (more endurance than weights), but have moved away from shakes. I still take whey as supplement, but I now tend to mix it with a natural yogurt instead of milk. With a low or zero fat natural greek (or greek style) it's actually slightly less calorific than made with milk - a decent stir and it mixes in fine especially once you add the fruit, and you have a flavoured yogurt. I have it with berries or other fruit, some times topped with muesli or seeds for a bit of crunch. It's much more satisfying to actually eat something than neck a shake. Glenisk have small 4 packs if you aren't going to be bothered portioning out a large pot, and berries are readily and relatively cheaply available at the moment but you can get fruit salad pots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wexfordhun

Most protein shakes are generally the same when it comes to Macros (Protein, fats and Carbs). Im not sure what you mean by pre-mixed however, best to buy it as power and mix it with water (if you need extra protein).

Do not be fooled at these Protein mixes aimed at women who want to lose weight like Womens Best etc as they all do the same job.

Walk into any high street nutrition shop and you can get them there. The cheaper ones will generally contain the same ingredients but taste and mix-ability wont be near as good. The best tasting makers are Myprotein and Optimum Nutritions Gold Standard Whey. You can order My protein online and its much cheaper than a high street store.

Advertisement