Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Hire Insurance

Options
  • 04-07-2018 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Has anyone managed to insure their hire bike when abroad?

I'm looking to hire from a couple of shops, and neither offer insurance, all liability on the rider. I'd hate to be liable for full cost of a bike especially if it wasn't my fault.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

From the Chill.ie website: "We will pay (up to the amount specified, based on the policy you choose) if you are legally liable for accidentally injuring someone, or damaging or losing their property."

That would suggest to me that a hire bike is covered, as the bike isn't my property, and if it gets damaged or stolen (lost) then the policy should cover it. I emailed MAPFRE (the actual insurer?) about it and they said:

"Please note that the damage to bicycles is not covered under the policy. However, we can consider medical expenses due to a fall for example if you were cycling on normal roads not on rough terrain.

...theft of the bicycle is also not covered. The policy does not extend to cover the bicycle itself."

Advertisement