Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are gig tickets selling?

Options
  • 04-07-2018 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

Iv been hearing a lot of ads for gigs which are coming up soon, approx a week away. Since they hadn't been advertised previously on raadio, im wondering are they finding it difficult to shift tickets and is it getting saturated? People only have a certain amount of money to spend on gigs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yep the market is hugely saturated at this point with a few big acts playing pretty much every weekend.

In tandem with this, gig prices are at an all time high with the better tickets for a variety of gig types such as Taylor Swift tickets going for 145, Rolling Stones tickets at 180, Flight of the Concords at 100, Michael McIntyre at 85.

People just can't afford or refuse to pay for multiple high price gigs.

Because of this, acts or their promoters are vastly overestimating attendance resulting in massive giveaways for Taylor Swift and less so Michael Buble and the Rolling Stones to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

Tickets are too bloody dear, n every gig now I am offered tickets on Facebook the week before for half price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Mr Aiken from Aiken promotions was on the late late one night and said something like “the Irish are great because they love to get drunk in a field”.

We’re number 1 in the world for attending live concerts. the demand is there. We are paying through the nose for gigs because the demand is there and people will go.

Perfect example is the picnic sold out nearly immediately ever year despite the line up getting worse and worse every year. I have no doubt the promoters are paying Less and less each year for talent to attend. I actually feel the promoters must be laughing at Joe public . How far can the push it before we get sick of it.

They claim insurance cost and travel cost add to the ticket price but I have my doubts to be honest.

When I first started going to gigs there was quality support that you’d want to se know it’s choons on or some really poor quality support if even.

If you check some of the festivals in Europe and their line ups it really put us to shame.

The sound at most gigs is pretty poor most of the time. Gigs are full of mobile phone ***** most of the time.

And another thing ed ****ing Sheehan.
    Music ****ed I give up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Iv been hearing a lot of ads for gigs which are coming up soon, approx a week away. Since they hadn't been advertised previously on raadio, im wondering are they finding it difficult to shift tickets and is it getting saturated? People only have a certain amount of money to spend on gigs

It seemed to me that there were loads of tickets going for LCD soundsystem, one friend of mine couldnt even give his away for free on the day of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

It seemed to me that there were loads of tickets going for LCD soundsystem, one friend of mine couldnt even give his away for free on the day of.

Malahide mid week is a tough sell, especially considering they only played three nights in the Olympia less than a year ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Bowlardo wrote: »

They claim insurance cost and travel cost add to the ticket price but I have my doubts to be honest.

When I first started going to gigs there was quality support that you’d want to se know it’s choons on or some really poor quality support if even.

p.

Cost of playing in Ireland is higher and it is going to get worse. its funny, people are happy to believe that their insurance costs are higher, but not that businesses face higher costs.

I also think you are rose tinted glassing the support issue. Support slots have generally depended on the liklihood of the gig selling out. The only really stand out bad support value this summer was the Stones.

The price of gigs is a problem, but volume is becoming a problem for promoters too. More festivals than ever. Big events in Phoenix Park, Aviva and Croker. 3 Arena doing more gigs than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Most of the gigs I've attended in the last year have sold out almost instantly - Drake, J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar come to mind. I've seen all of them perform in Ireland before and never had any issue getting tickets but in the last year all the tickets are gone within one minute of going on sale. Same with Longitude - I've gone for the last three or four years and never had a real issue getting tickets via Ticketmaster or else DoneDeal/Adverts but this year they sold out immediately for the first time ever as far as I'm aware and there are next to none being resold by resellers, touts, etc.

Could be a coincidence but I've only noticed this massive increase in demand since Ticketmaster launched their Seatwave resale website where "customers" can resell the tickets they just bought for 3-4 times the original price.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,409 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Go to a fair few gigs each year and prob scary to add the cost up but prices do take the piss and why some pay for tickets and go and get plastered, annoy people etc

Stadium gigs and places like Slane will always sell cause people love A night out and can brag on social media about being there no matter who is playing

Had to travel to the UK the last few years for gigs that the acts decided to skip Ireland and esp stadium gigs it's a much better experience, sound is always top notch, people are more behaved and better amenities around the places (Possibly due to games etc been on there a few times a month etc). The hassle of travelling is inconvenient compared to Irish Gigs (even though there's still a bit of travelling involved)

When Garth Brooks returns people will snap up the tickets no matter where he plays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Malahide mid week is a tough sell, especially considering they only played three nights in the Olympia less than a year ago

They were brilliant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Gigs are the main way artists are making their money, so it's a crowded forum. The ones that sell out in seconds are the ones people really want to see. I was surprised Lauren hill didn't sell out quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

also, a lot of tickets were re-sold. Tuesday after a bank holiday, i know a lot of people came into work and realised that they were drowning. I ended up selling my ticket well under face value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The cost of tickets is not the issue, it's saturation IMO.

In the space of the last four weeks there's been four gigs in Donnybrook, two in Croke Park, four in Malahide, two in the RDS and one in the Aviva. That's just outdoors.

We still have the Marlay Park gigs, Longitude, Paul Simon, Buble, Trinity gigs and Iveagh Gardens yet to come, not to mention EP.

And of course there was the Sheeran behemoth and the Stones.

I can't ever remember there being so many outdoor gigs in one summer. There has to be a tipping point and I think we've reached it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

In the space of the last four weeks there's been four gigs in Donnybrook, two in Croke Park, four in Malahide, two in the RDS and one in the Aviva. That's just outdoors.

We still have the Marlay Park gigs, Longitude, Paul Simon, Buble, Trinity gigs and Iveagh Gardens yet to come, not to mention EP.

I can't ever remember there being so many outdoor gigs in one summer. There has to be a tipping point and I think we've reached it.

Cost is absolutely an issue. Taylor Swift charged 145 a ticket, if you're a teenager or a parent looking to bring kids, that is an insanely high price per ticket. And if someone can afford it despite it being its outside their budget, they're going have to miss other gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im gonna have to start listening to 104 again, lap up those freebies.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

PrettyBoy wrote: »

Could be a coincidence but I've only noticed this massive increase in demand since Ticketmaster launched their Seatwave resale website where "customers" can resell the tickets they just bought for 3-4 times the original price.

This is 100 the reason. Needs legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

It's definitely saturation in the summer. Big outdoor venues, gigs on every night of the week. And at a time when people already have stuff on, and are going on holidays and all.
    A lot of the same people would possibly go to a lot of the gigs if they weren't 2 days apart.

It's definitely saturation in the summer. Big outdoor venues, gigs on every night of the week. And at a time when people already have stuff on, and are going on holidays and all.
    A lot of the same people would possibly go to a lot of the gigs if they weren't 2 days apart.

Yep, so many things going on. If they've already gone to Ed Sheeran then they won't be able to see Taylor. This was apparently a big factor for her not selling out the second night.

My friend who played in a band always said it was a nightmare for ticket sales if they were playing the last weekend of a 5 week salary month - people just didn't have the money to go out. Its not just ticket costs, its transport, food, a few drinks etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

, im wondering are they finding it difficult to shift tickets
    The prices are high. I would say promotors and bands were sick of seeing what people would hand over to touts and figure they can get away with charging more.

Ed Sheeran sold out 2 nights in croke park, the tickets were half the price of taylor swift though. I was making the point that if she did half sell the nights then its the same money.

Someone was making the point that if a family with 2 kids went to taylor swift it would be €600 -without any travel, food costs etc. They could go on holiday for that!

rubadub wrote: »
    Someone was making the point that if a family with 2 kids went to taylor swift it would be €600 -without any travel, food costs etc. They could go on holiday for that!

Yikes!

bought a ticket for Queen in Marley Park on sunday for below face value on seatwave

waiting nervously for the seller to email the tickets. i better not have been scammed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    bought a ticket for Queen in Marley Park on sunday for below face value on seatwave

waiting nervously for the seller to email the tickets. i better not have been scammed

Why didn't you buy one off Toutless?

Such a great resource that seems fairly unique to Ireland. Good honest people selling for face value and lower when they could get more money.

The Nal wrote: »
    Why didn't you buy one off Toutless?

Such a great resource that seems fairly unique to Ireland. Good honest people selling for face value and lower when they could get more money.

none for sale below face value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The whole point of Seatwave is that you can't be scammed. It's an expensive service but it does have that advantage over regular touts and indeed Toutless.

The whole point of Seatwave is that you can't be scammed. It's an expensive service but it does have that advantage over regular touts and indeed Toutless.

The seller could easily not bother his hole uploading the ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

none for sale below face value

Huh?

They can only sell for face value or below.

And theres loads here.

https://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30296

Ticket uploaded all ok

Saved €16 compared to buying for face value off TM. Return bus was €25

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

Body and Soul festival as well a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Forbidden Fruit and Life festival a few weeks before those too.

since mid-May the amount of outdoor gigs here has been ridiculous.

I welcome the great run of gigs we had recently, personally.

• Advertisement

Some of those gigs were on the same night and were for different audiences, e.g. both of The National gigs and Taylor Swift

Advertisement