Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs your not close to a city?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Supermacs is the largest employer in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Signs for obscure wireless broadband companies.
    "Look up, can you see the sky?"

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RyanDrive

Obese children everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bus journey from Galway to Cork, although improved by the Citylink Express bus, but it always happens, I look out the window and see the sign '8 KM Cork' Fcuk off, I want to be there now, already. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

You can afford to live in your home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Everyone feels a sense of superiority over those misguided city types who are incidentally all zombie like junkies in track suits.

Let's face it we're not talking about Cork city or Galway city or Limerick city here are we?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

When your neighbours know who you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

When you get home to rural land from an extended stay in a big city and one the first things everybody says to you is "You realise now you'll have to learn to drive and get a car"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Big-eared boys on farms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Men with a deep red tan on the back their necks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Busses only every 15 mins.

WHAT BUSES?

LirW wrote: »

If traffic is at a slow pace or standstill it's either a tractor or you're close to a school at pick up time.

Or a funeral...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Buildings that look like pubs from 200m but from 50m you see that nobody has been inside in decades.

That 'Bass' sign probably should have been a giveaway though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Wellies are acceptable footwear if you are popping to the supermarket for the weekly shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

When the distance marker still says over 50km to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cows using the road as a thoroughfare.

Signposts still in miles not km.

Grass in middle of road, a sign you're lost already.

Local radio is Country n' Irish 24/7.

Neighbourhood watches.

Net curtains start twitching when a car passes.

Pascal's Country Sound are playing in local pub tonight.

A 'dischco' in the GAA hall, all ages turn up, not just kids.

A tractor hauling some Medieval torture instrument after it.

Abandoned banger of a car painted in local team colours with 'Gwan the lads' or similar slogan painted on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

smell of real pig shyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

When you look around and all you can see in any direction is seawater or mountains made entirely of ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I grew up in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire for 15 years
    I lived in Waterford for 2 years
    I'm living in Tramore 13 years

I have been with my girlfriend for 6 and a half years, who lives out in the countryside near Co. Laoise and I still stand by my plan of never moving to a rural area.

Spotty internet/phone coverage
    The smell
    Tractors working until 1am
    Having to go a distance to get to the nearest convenience store just for something as simple as a bottle of Coke
    No chipper delivery (I'd die without it :pac:)

All the petty problems I could think of -- they're there :p

Positives? Beautiful scenery, I have to say, and taking the dog for a walk is ever so peaceful.

When you look around and all you can see in any direction is seawater or mountains made entirely of ice.

Idyllic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

wexie wrote: »
    being able to see stars

Being able to see the milky way really!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Busses only every 15 mins.
    This belongs in the "signs you live in Dublin" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

No hosepipe ban as my deep bore well continues to deliver copious quantities of cool, clear, pure, fresh water as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

I grew up in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire for 15 years
    I lived in Waterford for 2 years
    I'm living in Tramore 13 years

I have been with my girlfriend for 6 and a half years, who lives out in the countryside near Co. Laoise and I still stand by my plan of never moving to a rural area.

Spotty internet/phone coverage
    The smell
    Tractors working until 1am
    Having to go a distance to get to the nearest convenience store just for something as simple as a bottle of Coke
    No chipper delivery (I'd die without it :pac:)

All the petty problems I could think of -- they're there :p

Positives? Beautiful scenery, I have to say, and taking the dog for a walk is ever so peaceful.

Spotty internet/phone coverage - Can't argue with that, it's a pain in the ass

The smell - Are you for real ? You will occasionally get a smell in rural Ireland if someone is spreading slurry. 99% of the time you will have beautiful fresh air. In any big cities I have been in, there is a constant smell. Sewege, everyone else's food, car fumes etc etc

Tractors working until 1am - Again - Are you for freggin real - You will have a few tractors working late this time of the year to get silage done. It might effect you 5 or 6 nights a year. In the city, you will have cars, taxis, other people etc out at 1am and later 365 days of the year.

Having to go a distance to get to the nearest convenience store just for something as simple as a bottle of Coke Again I'd agree - But it's not the end of the world. You just get a bit better at planning. i.e. When you are passing a shop on the way home from work you just have a quick think about what you might need later.

No chipper delivery (I'd die without it :pac:) I can't argue with that as I love the chipper myself. However I do find that because it is not as accessible, I don't go as often as I would like - which is good. When I lived in town, I was going 2 or 3 nights a week which isn't good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The secret with the chippers is that a lot of them indeed do deliver.... you just need to ask them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

LirW wrote: »
    The secret with the chippers is that a lot of them indeed do deliver.... you just need to ask them :pac:

Last time we tried to get food delivered we got a phonecall could we come collect it in the village cause they couldn't find us......eh...no?! We're pisht....which is why we ordered delivery?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A five car rush hour.

4WDs splattered with muck doing the jobs they were built to do; hauling cowboxes and horseboxes, not ferrying Jack or Chloe to their playdates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

That's halting sites you're thinking of.

and Naas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Posters for Macra na Feirme events in the local shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

When the hairs in your nose are singed from the smell of cow shíte.

wexie wrote: »
    Last time we tried to get food delivered we got a phonecall could we come collect it in the village cause they couldn't find us......eh...no?! We're pisht....which is why we ordered delivery?

:(

and forget about Fastway, who can rarely find anyone rural..

And the blissful quietude and green places, and not racing around manic-city style.. the rest are trivial compared to this.

BnB wrote: »
    The smell - Are you for real ? You will occasionally get a smell in rural Ireland if someone is spreading slurry. 99% of the time you will have beautiful fresh air. In any big cities I have been in, there is a constant smell. Sewege, everyone else's food, car fumes etc etc

Tractors working until 1am - Again - Are you for freggin real - You will have a few tractors working late this time of the year to get silage done. It might effect you 5 or 6 nights a year. In the city, you will have cars, taxis, other people etc out at 1am and later 365 days of the year.

I think you may have come to the realisation that I'm a townie?? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think you may have come to the realisation that I'm a townie?? lol

You must have a really screwed up sense of smell if you think the countryside smells. Yes a few days here and there when the slurry is out but other than that it's all good smells.

Most towns and cities have very smelly areas. Not everywhere but around restaurants and pubs etc can be vile , between the bins,old food, grease etc from chippers. And the stench of stale piss around the streets due to the lack of toilets .

I'd gladly take 2 days of slurry than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

fewer choices

You must have a really screwed up sense of smell if you think the countryside smells. Yes a few days here and there when the slurry is out but other than that it's all good smells.

Most towns and cities have very smelly areas. Not everywhere but around restaurants and pubs etc can be vile , between the bins,old food, grease etc from chippers. And the stench of stale piss around the streets due to the lack of toilets .

I'd gladly take 2 days of slurry than that

Very defensive aren't ya?? :pac: I don't like the smell of manure - how is that so hard to wrap your head around? Relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

When you can mow the lawn and throw the grass over the fence to the cattle in the field beside you.

Very handy I have to say.

Also sitting outside the house at about 8pm when the road is quiet and hear the birds singing.

When snow comes and we can't get anywhere because there's nobody to clear the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Teenagers wearing shoes with tracksuit bottoms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

When you can mow the lawn and throw the grass over the fence to the cattle in the field beside you.

Very handy I have to say.

Also sitting outside the house at about 8pm when the road is quiet and hear the birds singing.

When snow comes and we can't get anywhere because there's nobody to clear the road.
    No!

No no no no no!!!!

Please don't ever do that. If female cattle eat that grass, they are at high risk of contracting Neospora from any contamination of the grass by dog feces. It leads to abortions in pregnant animals and is incurable.

If sheep eat that grass after a few days of it being thrown over into the field, they are at high risk of contracting listeriosis from partially fermented grass which can quickly lead to death if not spotted quickly.

Bin it.

smell of real pig shyte

As opposed to fake pig shyte?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No!

No no no no no!!!!

Please don't ever do that. If female cattle eat that grass, they are at high risk of contracting Neospora from any contamination of the grass by dog feces. It leads to abortions in pregnant animals and is incurable.

If sheep eat that grass after a few days of it being thrown over into the field, they are at high risk of contracting listeriosis from partially fermented grass which can quickly lead to death if not spotted quickly.

Bin it.

What about horses? Any ill effects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

Grass growing in the middle of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

What about horses? Any ill effects?

Yes, don't ever feed cut grass to horses, they can't deal with the fermentation, gas builds, and causes huge problem. Really really not good to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Galwayguy35, mass murderer of live stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Child of Prague statues in the window, instead the Lady On The Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gadgiemagoo

TV can be repaired cheaply (vision restored) & same guys replaced valve in my old radio. Favourite shoes sorted by the key/shoe man. Live in a "large small town" granted, but still has skilled workmen providing valuable services. 
    In a city all would have been dumped,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

TV can be repaired cheaply (vision restored) & same guys replaced valve in my old radio. Favourite shoes sorted by the key/shoe man. Live in a "large small town" granted, but still has skilled workmen providing valuable services. 
    In a city all would have been dumped,

Who tells you this stuff or do you just make it up? It’s complete boIIix!!!

Irish cities have loads of repair services, theres more cobblers and clothes repair shops in Dublin's inner North city than there is anywhere else in the country.

Some of the posts here showing amazing ignorance regarding our little country here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm on my lunch break in south Dublin eating a sandwich, and I'm approximately 20ft from a key cutters and shoe repairman right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Politicians cutting grass verges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement