Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs your not close to a city?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

KungPao wrote: »
    Nathan Carter type rubbish on every radio station.

Tie me mama to a wagon wheel and break me if I have to hear that anodyne crap again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Big Spanish hacienda type houses sitting in the middle of windblown fields.

A big sign advertising Supermacs.

People walking on the edge of the road because there's no footpath.

Cars driving at 100kmp on twisty roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Bungalows, tarmacadam driveways with kids toys on them.

and the trampolines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

goose2005 wrote: »
    and the trampolines

And the lines of washing hanging at the side of the house, visible from the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Cows using the road as a thoroughfare.

Signposts still in miles not km.

Grass in middle of road, a sign you're lost already.

Local radio is Country n' Irish 24/7.

Neighbourhood watches.

Net curtains start twitching when a car passes.

Pascal's Country Sound are playing in local pub tonight.

A 'dischco' in the GAA hall, all ages turn up, not just kids.

A tractor hauling some Medieval torture instrument after it.

Abandoned banger of a car painted in local team colours with 'Gwan the lads' or similar slogan painted on it.

Roads are for passing cows - hence the Irish word "Bóthar"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The Death Notices on the radio instead of Wayne in the Plane with that traffic reports of mayhem at the Dunkettle Roundabout.

I accidentally tuned into one radio station which had a 1550 number to listen back to the death notices ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You always get a DJ on regional radio with an English accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

seachto7 wrote: »
    You always get a DJ on regional radio with an English accent.

I haven't really noticed that outside of Cork City. 96FM (newscorp owned) has always had a couple of UK and US presenters. RedFM also had Charlie Wolf of TalkSport as their late night phone show host for their first year on air. They also had Leona Graham (former Virgin Radio DJ and very well know UK VO artist) on their station imagining jingles etc for their first we years.

I’d have seen it more of a sign of diversity and cosmopolitan urbanity though. A good DJ is a good DJ. I wouldn’t like to hear of people being discriminated against because they’ve British accents. I mean when the shoe’s on the other foot, Irish preventers do well in England. I don’t see why the same wouldn’t be true the other way around.

Most of the stations down the country are wall to wall country and western programming from what I usually hear. It’s especially true in the midlands.

The death notices seem to be a thing everywhere except Dublin and Cork too.
    Even Galway Bay FM and Live 95 in limerick seem to play them.

If RedFM did them it would probably be called “Dead on Red” and done with an hip hop bed or something lol

Also one or two rural stations seem to actually play the Angelus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

4WDs splattered with muck doing the jobs they were built to do; hauling cowboxes and horseboxes, not ferrying Jack or Chloe to their playdates.

But Caomhine and fionn need to get to the Robertsons young fellas party in Ainsdale Drive in South Dublin, cmon kids... Into the range rover..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Actual greenery outside of a tarmac infested "park"

• Advertisement

No endless vistas of concrete

A distinct lack of backpack wearing spanish teenagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Dodgy politicians who should be jailed for corruption are topping the local polls

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gadgiemagoo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    TV can be repaired cheaply (vision restored) & same guys replaced valve in my old radio. Favourite shoes sorted by the key/shoe man. Live in a "large small town" granted, but still has skilled workmen providing valuable services. 
    In a city all would have been dumped,

Who tells you this stuff or do you just make it up? It’s complete boIIix!!!

Irish cities have loads of repair services, theres more cobblers and clothes repair shops in Dublin's inner North city than there is anywhere else in the country.

Some of the posts here showing amazing ignorance regarding our little country here.
    "in Dublin's inner North city" That's fcuking great if you live in dat spot. 
    If you don't live there try parking while you drop in shoes, boots, radios, tvs, any electrical bits to be sorted. 
    Ask all the people in Dundrum if they'd repair or buy again in the big shop centre beside them?  They would say "go into the northside for repairs? complete bo!!ix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

No decent coffee. Lawns. Stone eagles. Country n Irish. Parish newsletters. The stations.

Death Notices on the radio

Death Notices on the radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

"in Dublin's inner North city" That's fcuking great if you live in dat spot.
    If you don't live there try parking while you drop in shoes, boots, radios, tvs, any electrical bits to be sorted.
    Ask all the people in Dundrum if they'd repair or buy again in the big shop centre beside them? They would say "go into the northside for repairs? complete bo!!ix.

Wrong again.

These repair shops wouldn't be in business if people didn't use them. I don't live in Dublin's North inner city, but I use them, and believe me, plenty of other people do, rich and poor!!

Last weekend I had boots resoled in the city, there was a line of shoes and boots lined up for repair. My TV was fixed by a repair place in Killester in Dublin last year. I got a new panel replaced on an old wetsuit by a city centre clothing alteration shop a few weeks ago, took a very old wetsuit in and he cut a panel out to fix the other one! Cost me €20!!! Stitched, glued and taped!

Dublin city council waste dept. run a free reuse site here where Dubliners post up unwanted items instead of dumping them.

http://www.dublincity.ie/rescue-and-reuse-freetrade-ireland

Believe me, recycling, fixing & repairing is part and parcel of city living.

You just didn't really know that until now. ;)

That's fab if you have the money to travel to these places for minor repairs.
    My point is that a lot of people don't have that luxury & certainly won't have a wetsuit on their list of essential repairs!. Ask all the those in the suburbs that don't have repairers nearby what they do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The sound of silence, the kind you get in the bog not on a cd.

That's fab if you have the money to travel to these places for minor repairs.
    My point is that a lot of people don't have that luxury & certainly won't have a wetsuit on their list of essential repairs!. Ask all the those in the suburbs that don't have repairers nearby what they do?

I live in the suburbs. So you can ask me.

City and suburban dwellers get stuff repaired all the time. We cycle, use public transport, or if the item is big, we drive! There's cheap parking if you know where to find it and I get lots of other stuff done in the city to make it worthwhile.

Also, there's plenty of repair shops actually in the suburbs with free parking, there's an engineer about three hundred metres away from me that does lawnmowers, strimmers, pressure spray machines etc... People come from all over the North Bay area to get stuffed fixed! There's a plethora of bike repairs shops, mechanics etc... dotted around the area too.

A wetsuit may not be on the essential repair list for you, it is for me, and I'd rather get it fixed cheaply than buying a new one!

Sorry to burst your little bubble on the "wasteful city and suburban dwellers" but It's simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

When idle chat consists of talking about who has died in the area, or gossiping about the day to day business of other people. None of which I engage in

Getting a call during the night from a neighbour to say cattle have broken out on the road and you have to bring them back into the yard.

Creosote

Blue Twine

Great for you John Rambo. You didn't burst my bubble. 
    Jaysus I can't remember using the quote "wasteful city and suburban dwellers" but I'm sure you will correct me. Ye prick.

Great for you John Rambo. You didn't burst my bubble.
    Jaysus I can't remember using the quote "wasteful city and suburban dwellers" but I'm sure you will correct me. Ye prick.

Lovely. You make me laugh! And you're dead right! It is great for me, it can be great for you too! Repairing and recycling things is the way to go, you should take a leaf and do likewise.

You're scrambling to find a way to say that city people don't recycle, you're jumping from "wealthy" Dundrum people that have huge shops next to them to "poor" people that don't have any money to travel to the city centre or to local repair shops.

The fact remains, that most rich and poor people have the facilities to repair things in cities and suburbs! That's how these businesses stay in business and that's why there's so many of them in cities.

I can guarantee you, a wealthy person will try and get very expensive €400 shoes repaired rather than buy a new pair. And they do. They buy very good shoes in Brown Thomas and when the heel or sole goes they repair them.

I can guarantee you, a poor person will try and get their €30 workboots repaired rather than buy a new pair. And they do.

So stop looking down your nose at people in your posts, take you're preconceived notions of how other communities carry on and rethink them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

When you see a road sign on the bus that says Galway 142 Kilometres.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

When you see a road sign on the bus that says Galway 142 Kilometres.

When there's no road signs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Being close to a church

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Lads walking around in flared jeans with slip on brown leather shoes and a crosshatch t-shirt...... Or lads wearing bet on skinny jeans that are to short with wrecked trainers and a tight fitting local GAA jersey on....

Or anywhere you see lads wearing Subaru rally jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Crowds gathering in the graveyard for the Pattern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Nobody has greasey 'taches.

No lardarse middle aged layabouts cycling around looking for what can be easily stolen.

Screwdrivers are used for their original purpose, not as murder weapons.

The smell of sh1t is from farm animals, not from junkies taking a dump in the alleyway behind your office.

Nobody speaks in cockney rhyming slang.

Nobody walks in that hobbled fashion with both feet at 90 degrees to each other.

People who own horses can actually take care of them in a proper fashion.

Public restrooms don't have blue lights.

After you give someone directions they never suddenly change the subject to, "can ya spare a couple 'a Euros bud".

People never riot, but if they did they wouldn't all converge on Foot Locker.

When you ask a taxi driver how their day is going they don't automatically reply with, "I'm not racist but ...".

The houses don't look like they'll dissolve in the first rain storm.

Chicken nuggets are not considered part of your 5-a-day.

• Advertisement

Nobody has greasey 'taches.

No lardarse middle aged layabouts cycling around looking for what can be easily stolen.

Screwdrivers are used for their original purpose, not as murder weapons.

The smell of sh1t is from farm animals, not from junkies taking a dump in the alleyway behind your office.

Nobody speaks in cockney rhyming slang.

Nobody walks in that hobbled fashion with both feet at 90 degrees to each other.

People who own horses can actually take care of them in a proper fashion.

Public restrooms don't have blue lights.

After you give someone directions they never suddenly change the subject to, "can ya spare a couple 'a Euros bud".

People never riot, but if they did they wouldn't all converge on Foot Locker.

When you ask a taxi driver how their day is going they don't automatically reply with, "I'm not racist but ...".

The houses don't look like they'll dissolve in the first rain storm.

Chicken nuggets are not considered part of your 5-a-day.

Gas the way people feel they have to put down an area to enhance their own area.

You’re unable to come up with one positive point about anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Gas the way people feel they have to put down an area to enhance their own area.

You’re unable to come up with one positive point about anywhere!

Who cares, Dublin is the superior county, more advanced in every way.

The opinion of those from 2nd world counties is irrelevant.

Dublin, your master x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

when there is ocean in every direction you look in ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

When one day you were shootin' at some food, an' up from the ground come a-bubblin' crude. Oil, that is. Also, several one-eyed, buck-toothed articles that always seem to be mooching around, with straw hats and shaking pitchforks at you saying "Oooor-aaahhrr, you'm be a witch!!".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I open the door to let the dog out and can often smell cow s**te and hear them moo!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

You don't witness this.. ?width=500&version=2363940

People have hair on heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

A cappuccino is a spoon of nescafe instant coffee powder with a mug of hot milk thrown in on top of it.

MMmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hurling teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭chosen1

branie2 wrote: »
    Hurling teams

That would explain why the last 3 club all Ireland champions were from.........

Cities

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Senior_Club_Hurling_Championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

It costs 8 quid to deliver a chinese

Advertisement