Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pensions

• 04-07-2018 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guy's
    I am looking for information on this matter.

I was self employed and took out a pension however during the recession i had to freeze this pension for obvious reasons.

Now I am employed and was wondering where do i stand do i take out a new policy or reactivate my old pension
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

You will need to ask your current employer pension scheme, if you can transfer the older pension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ravima wrote: »
    You will need to ask your current employer pension scheme, if you can transfer the older pension.

You can't transfer a ppp into a pension scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

James_348 wrote: »
    Hi guy's

I was self employed and took out a pension however during the recession i had to freeze this pension for obvious reasons.

Now I am employed and was wondering where do i stand do i take out a new policy or reactivate my old pension

Check with your employer to see if they have a pension scheme to which they contribute. If so, join it, as the employer contributions are free money.

If not, then you're back to doing your own thing. Most Personal Pension contracts allow you to re-start. Before you do, check the charges you'd be paying if you do re-start it. Charges on many pension contracts have come down in recent years so you might find it cheaper to start a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Goyourownway

James_348 wrote: »
    Hi guy's

Hi
    What type of pension did you have when you were self employed as it is relevant to your options going forward. Was this a prsa, a personal pension or an executive pension (probably the case if you had an Ltd company)?

Advertisement