Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravel / Adventure Bike

Options
  • 05-07-2018 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm thinking of getting a bianchi via nirone all road, or a Fuji jari 1.7.

Commuting + a bit of off-road / trails every now and again.

Does anyone have any experience with these bikes, or could recommend an alternative for the approx €1k mark?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

could always go with a Cyclocross bike and Gravel tyres for commuting. ive a Caadx which is great. got it on sale 2 years for 700 euro with Tiagra 10 speed.
    i dont understand what the big deal with Gravel bikes are... its just another CX bike! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

thekooman wrote: »
    i dont understand what the big deal with Gravel bikes are... its just another CX bike! :P
    They're not really though? More relaxed geometry, often able to take significantly wider tyres than even a cx bike, and a lot of them able to take 650b as well as 700c wheels to allow even rougher terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You would get mountain bike tyres easily on my cx bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They're not really though? More relaxed geometry, often able to take significantly wider tyres than even a cx bike, and a lot of them able to take 650b as well as 700c wheels to allow even rougher terrain.

for trails and a little off road, 35mm tyres are more than adequate? just my 2 cents... its the bike industry trying to get us to do N+1! :-) for commuting its overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I use a gravel bike on club spins, with 38 mm tyres. Probably my favourite bike at this stage.
    If your budget allows, OP, get full hydro rather than cable-hydro brakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Do we even have gravel roads here ?  Or is it just mud ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Flaccus wrote: »
    Do we even have gravel roads here ?  Or is it just mud ?

With the amount of potholes on the roads they may as well be gravel....

Advertisement