Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to France, what have I forgotten?

Options
  • 05-07-2018 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Heading out on Saturday for two weeks 0 first time going to the continent in our 6 berth RHD Ducato.

I know we need:

* Breathalysers (although there is no fine for not having them, odd that).
    * Warning Triangle.
    * Hi Viz Vest - readily available (put it in the back of the seat).
    * Lens defectors fitted (got them in Halfords).

Do we need an emissions cert if we are going to Brittany?

What else (other than the usual stuff you'd pack) have I forgotten?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Jaden wrote: »
    Heading out on Saturday for two weeks 0 first time going to the continent in our 6 berth RHD Ducato.

I know we need:

* Warning Triangle.

You need to have some bulbs in the car in case one goes. As for emissions cert, I’ve mever needed one in Brittany. Check out https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html and see if there’s anywhere listed that you might be heading too, but just a few main cities and none in Brittany.

Also, if you are carrying bikes on the back you need a warning board ( square board with red/white stripes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

* Pack of Spare bulbs (Have those, just forgot to mention them).

Didn't know about the Warning board. Must see where i can pick up one of those. Everyday is a school day, today is no exception. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

As for emissions cert, I’ve mever needed one in Brittany. Check out https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html and see if there’s anywhere listed that you might be heading too, but just a few main cities and none in Brittany.

Rennes has been a (weather dependent) Air protection Zone since earlier this year. It would appear that with the hot weather in France at the moment , several of the weather-dependent ZPAs may require the vignette. OP - The website linked above by Darragh allows you check the status of the ZPA zones.

Looks like we're in the clear, (pun completely intended) nothing vaguely near where we are going. Thanks Guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Michelle_M

Have you gotton motor way stickers? for the tolls?

• Advertisement

Michelle_M wrote: »
    Have you gotton motor way stickers? for the tolls?

I thought tolls only apply to "A" routes, and not "N" ones? I think we're on the N165b for 99% of the trip.

Major goof if I got this wrong. Do I need a toll sticker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Insurance cert, first aid kit, disposable camera, E111 card.

Insurance cert, first aid kit, disposable camera, E111 card.

Check on all those.
    (Front and rear Dashcam aswell).

The Motorway tolls thing, it looks like you get a ticket dispensed as you enter, and pay as you leave, via Credit/Debit Card (much like you do here).

Seems straightforward enough... Am I misguided?

Of course, then I found this out:

http://www.brittanytourism.com/practical-information/getting-around-brittany/by-car

Seems Brittany is completely toll free.....

Check on all those.
    (Front and rear Dashcam aswell).

The Motorway tolls thing, it looks like you get a ticket dispensed as you enter, and pay as you leave, via Credit/Debit Card (much like you do here).

Seems straightforward enough... Am I misguided?

Of course, then I found this out:

http://www.brittanytourism.com/practical-information/getting-around-brittany/by-car

Seems Brittany is completely toll free.....

Any of the tolls I was on were a ticket on entry and pay at exit type affair. Brittany is till free from what I remember but there are tolls if you head towards Nantes or Paris. A good satnav will take you around them though, that part of the country is best seen away from the autoroutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Any of the tolls I was on were a ticket on entry and pay at exit type affair. Brittany is till free from what I remember but there are tolls if you head towards Nantes or Paris. A good satnav will take you around them though, that part of the country is best seen away from the autoroutes.

Depends on if you need to get somewhere or not. I remember trying to plan a trip a few years ago and for a laugh tried figuring out what the difference would be in time if we avoided tolls. Think it was either 9 hours (tolls) or 14 hours (without).

Personally I find the toll roads a joy, generally disciplined drivers, great roads and the facilities are brilliant. (I am not, however, too crazy about the hole in the ground toilets :()

Loooong stretches where you can't get off though, make sure you don't miss an exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Good road map is very handy.

_Brian wrote: »

Latest and greatest SatNav, Map as backup.

_Brian wrote: »

They still make those?! :eek:

I got this last week (was free last week:() and downloaded maps for france for offline navigation: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navigatorpro.offline.maps

Plenty of other options available as well. Although with no roaming charges will probably just end up using Google maps.

(although admittedly.....satnav has taken quite a bit of the charm out of roadtrips though.)

I trust Google maps as far as I can throw it.

It will certainly get you there, but rarely the fastest way, and will make no mention of low bridges or tiny back roads.

I had an "interesting" trip to the end of the Gower Peninsula using Google maps once.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

The weaponary ?

The weaponary ?

I wouldn't say that to her face....

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Itineoman

I know we need:

* Warning Triangle.

Hi viz for each person. In the cab if I remember correctly. Bulbs. Bring a Euro power adaptor for your hookup although you'll hardly need it nowadays. Breathalyser isn't needed. Reflective plate not needed. Take a miltiblock extension lead so everyone can plug in their chargers when on hookup. A cheap inverter isn't a bad idea either

Itineoman wrote: »
    Breathalyser isn't needed.

Is that changed again?

wexie wrote: »
    Is that changed again?

Never came into force. There was a lot of hype around this a few years back but it was never enforced and I havent heard much about it in the last few years.

wexie wrote: »
    Is that changed again?

No. They just don't enforce it. I.e. Technically the law says it's needed but equally technically there isn't a penalty for not having one. As far as I understand. I've done over 50k in France in a MH and never spoke to a policeman. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Actually forgot to,mention in the reply to check out Aires. Tons of them in Britanny and an ideal way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Itineoman wrote: »
    No. They just don't enforce it. I.e. Technically the law says it's needed but equally technically there isn't a penalty for not having one. As far as I understand. I've done over 50k in France in a MH and never spoke to a policeman. I wouldn't worry about it.

I've done twice that and spoken to several policemen (perks of living in the country :D ) and I wouldn't worry about it either! The gendarmes provide you with one for free if they stop you. :cool:

Regarding motorway tolls, if you leave toll-free Brittany, no tag/sticker needed: you can get by with a credit/debit card, or even cash in some places. You've got to be careful, though, if you're anywhere close to 3m in height. An open vent, a satellite dish or a anything else on the roof can push you up into a Class 3 toll, which is pretty steep. If your French is good enough, you can negotiate with the call-centre person (they're usually very good about dropping it to Class 2 without any fuss).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Also, as of 1st July, i.e. last Sunday :D the general speed limit has been reduced to 80kmh on roads without a median barrier. Your sat nav or printed info may be out of date.

You'll see speed limit signs with the "9" of "90" blacked out where the local authority doesn't have the money to replace them! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭WildWater

You need to have some bulbs in the car in case one goes. As for emissions cert, I’ve mever needed one in Brittany. Check out https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html and see if there’s anywhere listed that you might be heading too, but just a few main cities and none in Brittany.

Also, if you are carrying bikes on the back you need a warning board ( square board with red/white stripes)

Note that is not the official site for the emissions cert and if you use it you will pay way more than you should. See here for the correct like (thanks to CelticRambler):

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057839285

I've done twice that and spoken to several policemen (perks of living in the country :D ) and I wouldn't worry about it either! The gendarmes provide you with one for free if they stop you. :cool:

Regarding motorway tolls, if you leave toll-free Brittany, no tag/sticker needed: you can get by with a credit/debit card, or even cash in some places. You've got to be careful, though, if you're anywhere close to 3m in height. An open vent, a satellite dish or a anything else on the roof can push you up into a Class 3 toll, which is pretty steep. If your French is good enough, you can negotiate with the call-centre person (they're usually very good about dropping it to Class 2 without any fuss).
    I never knew about that - I've paid a fortune over the years on tolls but now that you say it I remember the automatic booths always showed Classe 2 when I rolled up to the barrier (My van is 2.7m so fairly safe). Never knew what the human attended ones charged though. The transaction is so quick that you never get to look at it. Card in/ Card returned and open barrier in five seconds. Plus distances vary so hard to compare 240k price to 10k on the spot. TBH mostly we were glad the card worked and were happy to escape!

Advertisement