Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noob POE Switch Question

• 05-07-2018 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking into setup a home network. I have a small number of devices that require POE but the majority do not. I'm considering getting a 24 port unmanaged POE switch. My questions are:
    1. Can I use POE ports to send data to a non-POE device? (i.e. will the device just not request power supply and work fine)
    2. Is it possible to disable POE on certain ports without the switch being a managed switch?

If the answer to both these questions is no I'll probably go down the route of having distinct POE & non-POE switches instead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Great stuff. Much appreciated sugarman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm looking into setup a home network. I have a small number of devices that require POE but the majority do not. I'm considering getting a 24 port unmanaged POE switch. My questions are:
    1. Can I use POE ports to send data to a non-POE device? (i.e. will the device just not request power supply and work fine)
    2. Is it possible to disable POE on certain ports without the switch being a managed switch?

If the answer to both these questions is no I'll probably go down the route of having distinct POE & non-POE switches instead.

Careful. There are many different standards of POE

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Careful. There are many different standards of POE

Yes, so I've learned. I'm trying to stick to 802.3at / POE+ as I believe it should give me the best chance of compatibility / future-proofness

One more question. Do POE switches (especially those in the 24 port bracket) tend to run louder than non-POE? Can you get fanless switches at this size?

Advertisement