Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotment near Dublin

Options
  • 05-07-2018 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I want to get myself a small allotment near South Dublin.
    Anybody got one. I want to grow a few veggies, maybe strawberries or raspberries, etc.
    Anybody got any advice?
    My main concern is how are allotments secured - is theft a problem. I know what Ireland has become, I could see myself putting a load of effort into it only for some ****** to come and rob everything I have grown.
    Anybody got one and care to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Are you in an apartment with no garden?

Otherwise a small area of your garden could be used to grow what you want. You can grow strawberries in hanging baskets.

Can't really help you with allotments, but like anything left out in the open, there's a chance it could be gone when you come back. This could be theft by human or animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Thanks for the reply - I've a small garden but I want to keep enough space for my kids to play football, hence the idea. I don't have enough space to sow anything really....I had thought of that.

South Dublin County Council have some up in Friarstown, by Bohernabreena.

https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/sport-and-recreation/allotments/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

The councils all have allotments and (on north side at least) there are some privately run allotments.

Honestly I would not have thought theft would be an issue, strawberries or raspberries are hardly that expensive. I might be wrong on that. It's the Blackbirds robbing your strawberries you need to worry about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Michelle_M

there is a set of allotments in malahide if that's any help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

The councils all have allotments and (on north side at least) there are some privately run allotments.

Honestly I would not have thought theft would be an issue, strawberries or raspberries are hardly that expensive. I might be wrong on that. It's the Blackbirds robbing your strawberries you need to worry about :)

You wouldn't think so would you.....but people won't even pay a fiver for a bin lift.....I might try the one in Bohernabreena. Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Samson1

Dónal wrote: »
    South Dublin County Council have some up in Friarstown, by Bohernabreena.

https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/sport-and-recreation/allotments/

"Cost of renting an allotment:

• €1 per square metre with a reduction for applicants whose sole income is one of the following:-
    • Job Seekers Allowance/Benefit
    • OAP Contributory/Non Contributory (if on private pension not entitled)
    • Disability Allowance/Benefit"
    ... so not open to all ?

Sorry, its the "reduction" that is qualified - not access.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

....... wrote: »

We have an allotment with him and it's excellent. He supplies manure and has his own water source. I believe the water supply to the council allotments has been turned off because of the drought. It is more expensive than the council one but I think it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Michelle_M wrote: »
    there is a set of allotments in malahide if that's any help
    Some local residents think that's Malahide, but it's really in Swords.

There is a similarly amorphous border between Glasnevin, Ballymun and Finglas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

There are also some on Corkagh park , Clondalkin . Started one myself a few weeks back and have a lot of work to do...

Advertisement