Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outbid by council ?

• 05-07-2018 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭

Hey all

My brother was bidding on house close to me for a couple of weeks back in May . His last offer was <300k but he was eventually outbid.

On the way to the train this morning there was people working on the house and i found out from them the Council were the ones that bought it .

Is this legal ? Can they enter the private housing market ?

Some kick in the teeth being outbid for something you actually helped buy from paying taxes while someone who doesnt pay any is going to live in a house worth 330k or so

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Free market baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hey all

My brother was bidding on house close to me for a couple of weeks back in May . His last offer was <300k but he was eventually outbid.

On the way to the train this morning there was people working on the house and i found out from them the Council were the ones that bought it .

Some kick in the teeth being outbid for something you actually helped buy from paying taxes while someone who doesnt pay any is going to live in a house worth 330k or so

Of course it's legal.

This happens more then people think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Hey all

My brother was bidding on house close to me for a couple of weeks back in May . His last offer was :heart:00k but he was eventually outbid.

If its any consolation to your brother, the people moving in will only pay €50 pw , will drive 182 cars and will buy in off the council for 40% of its cp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Hey all

They are buying up houses everywhere

They should build the bastards

Is this house in an estate or in the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hey all

Of course its legal

How do you know they won't be paying any taxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

FriendsEV wrote: »

Raheny

FriendsEV wrote: »

They are trying to build but every time they go for planning permission some NIMBY politician objects for their constituents while hypocritically continuing to complain there arent enough hosues being built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Hey all

Something similar happened my parents. House went way above the expected amount as HSE threw money at it.
    It's funny money to government agencies.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Raheny

Ah well then.

At least it's not in a dacent area.

Not as if a proper person would live in a house you could buy for 300k. I had given you the benefit of the doubt at first and assumed you just missed a zero there.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

There'll be a family of syrians in it before you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

We were outbid by the hse on one of the houses we were after. It's a load of rubbish, using your own taxes to bid you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Good to see the councils are focusing on value for money with our cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

There'll be a family of syrians in it before you know it.

Or Jacinta and her 4 kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

VinLieger wrote: »
    They are trying to build but every time they go for planning permission some NIMBY politician objects for their constituents while hypocritically continuing to complain there arent enough hosues being built.

Yeah, this is actually happening far, far more than people seem to realise.

The council still need to get planning permission to build houses and estates around the country, and they're constantly getting shut down by local politicians because some ****es started complaining about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Hey all

My brother was bidding on house close to me for a couple of weeks back in May . His last offer was :heart:00k but he was eventually outbid.

Councils can't provide accommodation for less than €300 per square foot???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If people are start getting so touchy about council purchases, they probably consider looking at the other ways in which they themselves benefited from the tax payer and refund all their unversity fees, mortgage interest relief, child benefit etc etc. Especially seeing as many tax payers have no kids, don't attend third-level, don't own property etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Before you know it, Mr McDonagh, his beautiful pregnant wife, Winnie and their 9 children will have moved in. They'll park their summer accommodation (read:caravan) in the driveway and their hiace/transit out on the street. You'll barely know they're there. T'will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

A fantastic example of why the State shouldn't get involved in the housing market in any shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Hey all

Hey bro, I was thinking if you get that house we could have BBQs all the time, pop in to watch movies or just for a chat, it'll be great.
    How is the bidding going?
    Eh, I was outbid
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

judeboy101 wrote: »
    If its any consolation to your brother, the people moving in will only pay €50 pw , will drive 182 cars and will buy in off the council for 40% of its cp

If they only pay 50pw in rent they're a long long road away from buying it off the council, just saying :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Yeah, this is actually happening far, far more than people seem to realise.

The council still need to get planning permission to build houses and estates around the country, and they're constantly getting shut down by local politicians because some ****es started complaining about it.

It happened recently with a massive development in Raheny ironically enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

judeboy101 wrote: »

No no - the madness is much bettter than that - see the big picture.

Our taxes don't even cover it so we bust out the credit card...

national debt clock was at 203,682,253,259 € as I posted. It grows by the second.

'progressive' society here we come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Red_Wake wrote: »
    A fantastic example of why the State shouldn't get involved in the housing market in any shape or form.

They already are, by paying inflated market rents because they allowed property developers to dictate social housing policy.

They already are, by paying inflated market rents because they allowed property developers to dictate social housing policy.

Exactly this - if they are providing up to €1200 relief on privately rented properties for people on welfare or on low income why would a landlord only charge this .

Its one thing that isnt really mentioned in the rental crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

All the apartments built in Dundrum at luas bridge are been kept by Irish life as an investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Exactly this - if they are providing up to €1200 relief on privately rented properties for people on welfare or on low income why would a landlord only charge this .

Its one thing that isnt really mentioned in the rental crisis

Why should the state build council houses when the rent doesn’t even cover the maintenance on these houses?

Why should the state build council houses when the rent doesn’t even cover the maintenance on these houses?

Well they should invest more time into their fraud dept . There is a heap of money to save every week if they were interested

All the apartments built in Dundrum at luas bridge are been kept by Irish life as an investment.

So? That's their job they are a pension fund and there's money in property. They arent a vulture fund, the money they make will go back into the pensions of irish people. Its just a pity more people don't have private pensions to benefit from such an action and instead ignorantly are counting on the state pension which will be unfundable in about 10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

So? That's their job they are a pension fund and there's money in property. They arent a vulture fund, the money they make will go back into the pensions of irish people. Its just a pity more people don't have private pensions to benefit from such an action and instead ignorantly are counting on the state pension which will be unfundable in about 10 years
    why shouldn't they count on it? most people have paid into it all their working lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"The government should do something about the housing crisis!"

"Why are the government buying houses!?"

****'s sake. Why are people incapable of joining the dots before they get all angsty about stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hey all

Name someone who doesn't pay taxes? You realise VAT is type of tax?

oceanman wrote: »
    why shouldn't they count on it? most people have paid into it all their working lives.

See thats exactly the problem, many people like you misunderstand how the system works. With the state pension you aren't paying into a fund with your name on it. The money you pay in today is given out to someone receiving their pension tomorrow. Your money is not being saved away for you specifically in the state pension as it would be in a private pension.

And that is the problem, right now it works because there are 5 workers for every 1 retiree, by 2040 this is predicted to be as low to 2:1 which is simply not enough workers:retirees to sustain the state pension system as it currently exists.

Its a ticking time bomb that no political party wants to deal with as it means confronting the grey vote

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiGn6uumYjcAhVQR6wKHbh2AbAQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ign.com%2Farticles%2F2009%2F08%2F04%2Fthe-simpsons-flashback-you-only-move-twice-review&psig=AOvVaw01U1pIHlAvm-DxLHoLBKkE&ust=1530888251402015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

seamus wrote: »

****'s sake. Why are people incapable of joining the dots before they get all angsty about stuff?

So, in order to fulfil the demand for housing, the government should buy houses - outbidding those who can just about scrape together enough deposit for a mortgage - and thus increase the prices across the board? Interesting take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

The next time an election comes round just remember which parties put the policies in place that resulted in this situation and vote accordingly. It's the only thing you can do OP.

• Advertisement

RustyNut wrote: »
    The next time an election comes round just remember which parties put the policies in place that resulted in this situation and vote accordingly. It's the only thing you can do OP.
    If he's in Dublin, that's AAA/PBP and SF via their reps on DCC....

Indeed, on the one hand blocking new houses being built due to not being able to agree on the design and then on the other each blocking developments in their own constituencies due to nimbyism

Indeed, on the one hand blocking new houses being built due to not being able to agree on the design and then on the other each blocking developments in their own constituencies due to nimbyism
    Followed by blaming national government for their own mistakes.

The sooner we abolish the councils the better - everything they touch ends up in a hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Do DCC not just implement the policies set down by central government?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How is buying a house anove market value addressing the lack of affordable housing?

• Advertisement

So, in order to fulfil the demand for housing, the government should buy houses - outbidding those who can just about scrape together enough deposit for a mortgage - and thus increase the prices across the board? Interesting take.
    Nope, that doesn't look anything at all like what I wrote.

You can try again if you wish, but you'll be wasting your time.

RustyNut wrote: »

Do DCC not just implement the policies set down by central government?
    They're responsible for planning laws, and for the provision of social housing. This is delegated to them with guidelines[best practices, not obligatory] from central government.

So in summary, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I don't know the specifics, but I do know certain councils won't bid against first time buyers for houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

All that's being achieved with that approach is that a different family ends up in the council-bought house. Its not providing additional housing. Or are my dots wrong?
    AND the council has also caused the local market value to increase by out-bidding, so when the next house in the locality goes up for sale, the expectation will be for an even higher price, which will be even further out of reach.

When my parents couldn't afford a private house, they got a Corporation house in a new corporation estate in the 1960's and paid 'differential rent'. That's what needs to happen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is there a register held of houses the councils/ HSE purchased/ own?
    I think it is important information for purchasers to be aware of when purchasing a property.

All that's being achieved with that approach is that a different family ends up in the council-bought house. Its not providing additional housing. Or are my dots wrong?
    Your dots are slightly off :)

Society and by extension politicians are going mad about a housing crisis and looking for social housing.

This filters down to local authorities as "fix it now!". But the only way to increase social housing stock in the short-term is to buy it. Building takes years.

Local authorities don't have any influence at a national level and the staff in charge don't really care about their effect on the market as a whole. They've been told to get more social housing, so that's what they're doing.

So the council are buying houses because people are demanding something is done about the housing crisis.

The problem is people demanding that the housing crisis be fixed by next week. It won't be. 2020 is an optimistic estimate for things to start looking up.

An additional problem, as others have pointed out is that there is a level of NIMBYism too, where planned developments are being blocked by politicians, while those same politicians demand more housing.
    That said, I've seen a lot of "panic developments" - plans for 150 units to be built on actively used playing pitches or parklands. We can't just throw sh1t up anywhere because we badly need it. We still need to build in a sustainable, scalable way or we'll end up in a world of sh1t in 20 years time. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Get out of Ireland lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Free market baby.

Well no, not really.

If it was a free market the council would not be buying up properties for the Foreva Home crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Your dots are slightly off :)

This filters down to local authorities as "fix it now!". But the only way to increase social housing stock in the short-term is to buy it. Building takes years.

Totally agree with your points, insofar as they are logical. However, the permanent fix is to build more affordable or social houses. At some point that has to take precedence over the quick fix. I suppose that decision will be made by those in power, and being the cowards they are, they'll never make the hard decisions.

I actually thought the hubs were a good idea for stop-gaps, until I saw how long its taking to finish one in Coolock. This was an existing building being re-purposed (I think, I don't know if they demolished it and rebuilt). THe footprint there would probably accommodate about 20 houses, and I'd imagine they could have built them in the same time. Passed by recently and saw the delicate finishing touches being applied - must be a photo op for someone in the offing.

A small development of houses was built behind my house, in the same time period as the hub above, in fact they're finished and have been occupied since around Christmas into Spring. But they were going for 500k to 700k so perhaps that's why they were so quick. So it seems it CAN be done, if there's a profit to be made. I understand a lot probably went on before the foundations were dug, but that's just process. (and I realise that last bit is my hostage to fortune :pac:).

I suppose my overall feeling is that we elect governments to run our country properly, and they just don't. Most of the time I just go "ho-hum" but this particular issue gets my goat enough to have me complaining on the internet AND emailing local TD's. The cynic in me reckons that if they get enough emails about the housing crisis in the run up to the next election, they'll engineer a more serious* crisis to take our minds off it. Referendum, anyone???

*seemingly serious, but easily addressed, crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

FriendsEV wrote:

Speed of occupancy, easier to buy rather than build.

• Advertisement
Advertisement