Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outbid by council ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

seamus wrote:
    ****'s sake. Why are people incapable of joining the dots before they get all angsty about stuff?

They're idiots?

VinLieger wrote:
    Indeed, on the one hand blocking new houses being built due to not being able to agree on the design and then on the other each blocking developments in their own constituencies due to nimbyism

I believe Leo objected to a development in his constituency.... They are all at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    They're idiots?

Or, they are in a difficult income bracket and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel? Too rich for council house, too poor to buy. The new social precariat. Easy to say 'join the dots, ****head' and point to the fact that local authorities take the easy option every time - spare a thought for your fellow countryman.

... Or just come to the UK, where you can avoid this nonsense and buy a house on a single (below average earning) wage in a decent street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Point of working in Ireland is slowly decreasing for anyone earning slightly average salary.

How does one sign up for this lottery? Is it quit your job then hit the local Intro office.

TallGlass wrote:
    How does one sign up for this lottery? Is it quit your job then hit the local Intro office.

I'm amazed that if life on the dole is so great why don't more jack in their jobs and enjoy the lifestyle.
    Off you go and quit you may have to wait 6 weeks for a few quid, be sure to check in and tell us how its working out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

If people are start getting so touchy about council purchases, they probably consider looking at the other ways in which they themselves benefited from the tax payer and refund all their unversity fees, mortgage interest relief, child benefit etc etc. Especially seeing as many tax payers have no kids, don't attend third-level, don't own property etc etc.

I don't think it is necessarily inconsistent to for net contributers to the state, who have indeed received certain benefits from the state, getting peeved off about other net contributers being outbid on a 300k property, which will then subsequently be given to some net recipients of the state, essentially for free. *

(I know it is not free, but for a pittance in relative terms)

I'm amazed that if life on the dole is so great why don't more jack in their jobs and enjoy the lifestyle.
    Off you go and quit you may have to wait 6 weeks for a few quid, be sure to check in and tell us how its working out for you.

Why, because I would rather try and get something for myself.

If you have all the answers, why am I trying my best to get by, while paying serious amounts of tax and get absolutely nothing. Where's the help for people like me, cause I am not the only one.

And with your smart arse answer, you know something, at the moment I am not in a position that I need to quit my job, but for some, getting zero help because they are slightly above the figures set out, they may just have to pack it all in, cause they'll get whats needed to keep themselves going.

The system is wrong, so very very fúcking wrong, and the more this goes on without been sorted out, people will just stop working.

What's funny is your looking down on me, thinking I am looking down on people on welfare or getting handed houses. I am not looking down on anyone, I am asking a simple question, where is the help for people who are working, that are in between, just about borderline welfare bound and because they are working outside the reach of the supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Its would be tempting not going to lie - however it would be way too selfish a move to intentionally live off the state .

If i have kids my house will be their inheritance and the thoughts of not leaving them in debt would be enough to get me off my ass every morning and make my way to work

TallGlass wrote:
    And with your smart arse answer, you know something, at the moment I am not in a position that I need to quit my job, but for some, getting zero help because they are slightly above the figures set out, they may just have to pack it all in, cause they'll get whats needed to keep themselves going.

So basically going on the dole is a stupid suggestion.... thought so.

• Advertisement

The dole while raising kids on your own is awful and i have sympathy for people in that situation .

However on the dole claiming single parent benefit while your partner actually lives with you and works full time is just hard to take. Its happening all over.

Now someone is going to pay €120 a month to rent a house that a mortgage would be around €1200 and could be in that situation as said above

I blame the council - there should be a dedicated fraud unit like there is in insurance companies.

However on the dole claiming single parent benefit while your partner actually lives with you and works full time is just hard to take. Its happening all over.

Off you go so if it's so attractive. Have a few kids don't get married either. On the pigs back. Just make sure you jump ahead of the 90k on the housing list to get your "forever" home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Off you go so if it's so attractive. Have a few kids don't get married either. On the pigs back. Just make sure you jump ahead of the 90k on the housing list to get your "forever" home.

Nah you just rock up and declare yourself homeless for that.

Nah you just rock up and declare yourself homeless for that.

Still spouting rubbish I see. No change there so.

Still spouting rubbish I see. No change there so.

Yeah great reply.

Of course it doesn’t happen.

Wouldnt be for me for me .

I like working and contributing to society
    I would be bored Monday to Friday
    Would be a waste of spending years in education
    I wasnt raised to expect everything to be handed to me
    If i have kids i want them to have an inheritance when i die

• Advertisement

Yeah great reply.

Thanks.

No. It's very good suggestion depending on your circumstances. If my fortunes ever change, where it really is better to be on welfare then I will do it. But I would be doing it reluctantly. I would do so also knowing I have paid quite a lot into the system.

Anyway, I am not exactly sure you see my point of view, so I will leave it there.

VinLieger wrote: »
    See thats exactly the problem, many people like you misunderstand how the system works. With the state pension you aren't paying into a fund with your name on it. The money you pay in today is given out to someone receiving their pension tomorrow. Your money is not being saved away for you specifically in the state pension as it would be in a private pension.

And that is the problem, right now it works because there are 5 workers for every 1 retiree, by 2040 this is predicted to be as low to 2:1 which is simply not enough workers:retirees to sustain the state pension system as it currently exists.

Its a ticking time bomb that no political party wants to deal with as it means confronting the grey vote

But the normal dole wont be touched ? Actually wasnt it increased this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Hey all

My brother was bidding on house close to me for a couple of weeks back in May . His last offer was <300k but he was eventually outbid.

On the way to the train this morning there was people working on the house and i found out from them the Council were the ones that bought it .

Is this legal ? Can they enter the private housing market ?

Some kick in the teeth being outbid for something you actually helped buy from paying taxes while someone who doesnt pay any is going to live in a house worth 330k or so
    Its rampant. Inflating the market too by doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

kona wrote: »
    Its rampant. Inflating the market too by doing so.

Which suits those who are selling. After all, when we had a deflated market a few years back there were plenty complaining also.

• Advertisement

But the normal dole wont be touched ? Actually wasnt it increased this year.

An extra 71 cent a day. Rolling in the dough so they are.....

An extra 71 cent a day. Rolling in the dough so they are.....

So it hasnt been touched ? But i will work until im 68 and will get no state pension . Tremendous .

So it hasnt been touched ? But i will work until im 68 and will get no state pension . Tremendous .

Public sector worker?

Public sector worker?

Irrelevant .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

The councils sold off loads of council houses back in the 90s for next to nothing because it was easier than maintaining them. Now they're buying houses, because they have no stock, because it's easier and quicker than building them.

Both short sighted moves imo.

SteM wrote: »
    The councils sold off loads of council houses back in the 90s for next to nothing because it was easier than maintaining them. Now they're buying houses, because they have no stock, because it's easier and quicker than building them.

Both short sighted moves imo.

Yeah - i live in an old corpo estate. I'd say only one in 20 is not privately owned now.

Irrelevant .

No more irrelevant than what you have said tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah - i live in an old corpo estate. I'd say only one in 20 is not privately owned now.

I grew up on one and my mum still lives there. It's a similar ratio there I'd say. The houses on the estate sell for around €300000 now but they were selling them off back in the day for £14000ish.

The council bought a 3 bed house in a private estate in the same town a few years ago and it was allocated to my mate's sister, they bought it for €290000 iirc. Her and her daughter live in a 3 bed house and pay the council a pittance per week (according to him).

SteM wrote: »
    I grew up on one and my mum still lives there. It's a similar ratio there I'd say. The houses on the estate sell for around €300000 now but they were selling them off back in the day for £14000ish.

The council bought a 3 bed house in a private estate in the same town a few years ago and it was allocated to my mate's sister, they bought it for €290000 iirc. Her and her daughter live in a 3 bed house and pay the council a pittance per week (according to him).

€30 a week for a single parent not working . Its utter madness. And there is no way to prove if they really are single other than not being married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This thread is so ignorant, the replies not the OP, but also of course its legal, why would it possibly be illegal? and you think the council will openly partake in sales of housing if it were illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Hey all

My brother was bidding on house close to me for a couple of weeks back in May . His last offer was <300k but he was eventually outbid.

On the way to the train this morning there was people working on the house and i found out from them the Council were the ones that bought it .

Is this legal ? Can they enter the private housing market ?

Some kick in the teeth being outbid for something you actually helped buy from paying taxes while someone who doesnt pay any is going to live in a house worth 330k or so

We ended up having to outbid the council on our purchase. Ended up paying 20K extra because of it. They were bidding on multiple properties when we were buying last year.

We ended up having to outbid the council on our purchase. Ended up paying 20K extra because of it. They were bidding on multiple properties when we were buying last year.

Using your tax money to bid against you to put someone in the house which your taxes will then be used to subsidise the persons rent.

Fair society alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It's a real kick in the balls to think some ingrate will no doubt be living in that house paying relatively feck all, thanks to the taxpayer.
    The housing market is a shambles, either have a proper social housing policy or go all-out free market. The FG initiatives are skewing the market to the determent of the squeesed middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

The FG initiatives are skewing the market to the determent of the squeesed middle.

To the determent of all bar the very top I would have said. I wonder how many FG'rs make money from property speculation, development and renting. Vested interests setting national policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

[QUOTE=Atoms for Peace;107 The FG initiatives are skewing the market to the determent of the squeesed middle.[/QUOTE]
    ah the poor squeezed middle again!...give us a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

oceanman wrote: »
    ah the poor squeezed middle again!...give us a break

Well the tax paying class then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

Well the tax paying class then.

that's a bit better.

It's a real kick in the balls to think some ingrate will no doubt be living in that house paying relatively feck all, thanks to the taxpayer.
    The housing market is a shambles, either have a proper social housing policy or go all-out free market. The FG initiatives are skewing the market to the determent of the squeesed middle.

Yes but then you have the other side, you build all these social houses funded from your taxes which will have to be raised and the squeezed middle won’t be able to get a mortgage.

About time people started taking responsibility and stop relying on the state to house them.

There is a large cohort in this country who genuinely believe the government just creates money to buy houses for them out of thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Yes but then you have the other side, you build all these social houses funded from your taxes which will have to be raised and the squeezed middle won’t be able to get a mortgage.

About time people started taking responsibility and stop relying on the state to house them.

There is a large cohort in this country who genuinely believe the government just creates money to buy houses for them out of thin air.

If there was propper social housing provision it would take the heat out of the private housing sector making housing more affordable for everyone.

As one of the squeezed middle, tax paying workers I would be much happier to see my government spend my taxes on building homes for citizens and renting them at affordable rents to people who require them rather than the current situation where they give my tax money to private landlords and end up with nothing but an overheated property sector that bleeds so many people dry.

Thousands upon thousands of people lived and reared families in publicly owned social housing in the 60's 70' and 80's. The vast majority were working families who could afford their rent and to have a life at the same time.

The Thatcherite policy of privatising the provision of social housing has failed everyone except those at the very top of the economic food chain.

• Advertisement

RustyNut wrote: »
    If there was propper social housing provision it would take the heat out of the private housing sector making housing more affordable for everyone.

As one of the squeezed middle, tax paying workers I would be much happier to see my government spend my taxes on building homes for citizens and renting them at affordable rents to people who require them rather than the current situation where they give my tax money to private landlords and end up with nothing but an overheated property sector that bleeds so many people dry.

Thousands upon thousands of people lived and reared families in publicly owned social housing in the 60's 70' and 80's. The vast majority were working families who could afford their rent and to have a life at the same time.

The Thatcherite policy of privatising the provision of social housing has failed everyone except those at the very top of the economic food chain.

It’s not sustainable anymore, simple as that.
    A report yesterday showed the rent doesn’t even cover the maintenance of most social houses.

It’s just not feasible or fair on the people paying taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The FG initiatives are skewing the market to the determent of the squeesed middle.

Councils buying houses has nothing to do with FG initiatives, they control none of the councils in the greater dublin area, these intitiatives are being set by the very politicians complaining about them as they are the ones in control of the councils, the hypocrisy and lies from them are monumental

Advertisement