Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden "Pages"

Options
  • 05-07-2018 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    I agreed on the phone to list my business again on Golden Pages.
    I subsequently decided not to go ahead as my own website
    rates well above them and they are now just a web based directory.
    I emailed them to say I wanted to use my cooling off period to back out.
    The rep emailed my to tell me that there was no cooling off period
    as per their terms and conditions.
    Does anyone know if this is she is correct or does Irish consumer legislation over rule them.
    I did not sign any documents.
    This is off their site,

4. Your Statutory Rights
    Nothing contemplated by this Website or any of the platforms; services; products or other websites referred to herein and throughout or by the service and/or services; products that we provide shall affect your Statutory Rights as a consumer under Irish consumer legislation.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The key point here is that you’re representing a business, not a consumer. So consumer rights don’t apply here. I’ll move this to the E&BM so you can get the right advice.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Do golden pages still exist?

I'd challenge them and say that you expected an agreement to be sent by email for you to confirm listing and that you are withdrawing any implied agreement that the sales rep thought they may have had.

Send them this in writing and also request all details they hold on you under gdpr legislation and also where did you give them permission to contact you by phone for marketing and sales purposes?

If they don't provide you with infor within 2 weeks, write again informing them that you will lodge a complaint with the date commissioner if a satisfactory reply is not forthcoming.

They'll back down quickly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

CeilingFly wrote: »

I'd challenge them and say that you expected an agreement to be sent by email for you to confirm listing and that you are withdrawing any implied agreement that the sales rep thought they may have had.

Send them this in writing and also request all details they hold on you under gdpr legislation and also where did you give them permission to contact you by phone for marketing and sales purposes?

If they don't provide you with infor within 2 weeks, write again informing them that you will lodge a complaint with the date commissioner if a satisfactory reply is not forthcoming.

They have 30 days to respond to a data request.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭capailldubh

Thanks for your reply Ceiling and Petyr,
    They exist now as just a web based directory so no paper book.
    This is the basis of my decision to bail out as I deal with the older generation a lot.
    They sent me documents to sign but I did not sign anything.
    Service does not start till 1st Sept.
    The phone call was recorded as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks for your reply Ceiling and Petyr,
    They exist now as just a web based directory so no paper book.
    This is the basis of my decision to bail out as I deal with the older generation a lot.

You didn’t sign anything so they don’t have a contract. Next time they call, tell them that and not to contact you again. Back it up with an email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Put a large line through the documents and say "service not required" and return them.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭capailldubh

Thanks lads.
    Will do the above and report back if they get stubborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

CeilingFly wrote: »

Not sure GDPR will help if it's a business listing

Advertisement