Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Eir bill us directly for pole rental?

Options
  • 05-07-2018 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,

I'll try and give particulars as best I can. We live on a lane just off a main road which was part of the NBP rollout. Fibre is now live at the house at the top of our lane. There is Eir infrastructure (poles and ducting) from that fibre point to a cluster of 4 houses (including ours) ~700 to ~1000m down the lane.

I have spoken with numerous representatives at Eir who have informed me that Eir will not bring fibre to our houses (despite mentioning that collectively myself and neighbours would be wiling to pay for the costs of doing so in the form of instillation charges - this seems like a nice way for Eir to make a bit of money and get some new customers but I understand Eir isn't set up to deal with small requests like this).

With that avenue exhausted, we have found a local operator that would be willing to supply and connect us to the fibre. However, they are hesitating from using the Eir poles due to the fact that they don't want to take on the pole rental charges (in the event we would discontinue service, etc). Our alternative option is to lay private subterranean ducting but this is looking to be prohibitively expensive and would also involved crossing private land that doesn't belong to any of the prospective customers.

So my question - is there any way that Eir could bill us directly for the pole rental (say if we provide the pole ID numbers - thus allowing our Operator to utilize the infrastructure to bring down the fibre)? Again, this seems like an easy win for Eir to collect some revenue from these poles (which are there anyway) and gets us connected to broadband.

Of course I would also be happy to explore with Eir if they are willing to bring the fibre down.  

We're really just looking to get you some money (in one form or another) - is there any way you can help us to do that?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 donardyankee

Anything? I'd add that the household is a registered business so we could lease pole usage via that entity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Anything? I'd add that the household is a registered business so we could lease pole usage via that entity?
    Hi donardyankee, 

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. 

I've spoken with our operations team and I'm afraid this is not something we can facilitate from our side. This is not a service we supply. 

I understand your frustrations here and I'm sorry it's not better news. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thanks for the reply Tracey. Could you please put me in touch with whomever makes that operational decision? You can DM me details.  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Thanks for the reply Tracey. Could you please put me in touch with whomever makes that operational decision? You can DM me details.  
    Unfortunately, I would be unable to give this information to you. 

This is a company decision and is not a service we can supply to our customers I'm afraid. 

Apologies again. 

Thanks 

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

I have heard that Eir new owners are only interisted in getting as much revenue as possible from existing infastructure , with no interist in any investment in new infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Set up a little co-op type thing, make it attractive and hassle free, get an assurance they'll connect you, run yer own duct

Could be the staet of great things.

Problem is we don't have any place to put it - putting it in the ditch we have to deal with Co. Council - getting to our place otherwise involved crossing multiple pieces of non-homeowners land.

And that's just it - we're not asking Eir to put up new infrastructure - just to let us pay them to use what's already there.

Advertisement