Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer Pension Contribution - 2 year limit?

• 05-07-2018 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in an employer for 1.5 years. I am told that if I leave before 2 years I will lose all my employer contributions.

Is this a legal thing or does this vary by employer/plan?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

The employer & pension scheme trustee can choose anything from zero to two years when they're setting up the pension scheme. Legally it can be anything up to two years but not more than two years. I've only anecdotal evidence but in my experience most employers go with the two years.

If your employer gets a refund of the value of their contributions, you get a refund of the value of your contributions, less 20% tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

The employer & pension scheme trustee can choose anything from zero to two years when they're setting up the pension scheme. Legally it can be anything up to two years but not more than two years. I've only anecdotal evidence but in my experience most employers go with the two years.

If your employer gets a refund of the value of their contributions, you get a refund of the value of your contributions, less 20% tax.

You also have the option to transfer your benefits, even if the employer gets a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    You also have the option to transfer your benefits, even if the employer gets a refund.

You can only transfer the portion that came from your contributions (if you leave within 2 years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

I think this is just a rule that just exists in many schemes by default.
    Often employers don't even know about it and don't even get the refund back themselves.
    Our pension administrator was pissed off that I followed up to receive the employer related refund for every leaver, no matter how small it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

My last company was 2 years from when you joined the pension scheme (eligible to join after 6 month probation).

• Advertisement
Advertisement