Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROBOT EMILY

• 05-07-2018 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Just received a call to my Eir landline from a computerised voice named Emily.

Says she is from Eir broadband and that she has been trying to contact me because my broadband connection has been compromised and will be cut off in the next 24 hours.
    Then tells me to press 1 to connect to a technician.

The call seems to have come from 2656035 to my Dublin Eir landline.

I did nothing and just replaced the receiver.

Was this Eir or another one of these dodgy scam merchants ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

UrbanVixen wrote: »

Says she is from Eir broadband and that she has been trying to contact me because my broadband connection has been compromised and will be cut off in the next 24 hours.

Hi UrbanVixen ,

Please feel free to PM me your full name and account number, I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Thomas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Obviously a scam. We're with Vodafone and got the same call twice so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 UpsetCustomer

Received such a call a few minutes ago, phone display showed the following number: 9266640

The call was made to our 066 landline in County Kerry.

We don't have broadband with Eir so I hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 chook

I get 2 calls a day now from these scam artists. Very annoying as I work from home doing work that needs a lot of focus and these calls are super disruptive. They used to have humans do the calling for years, now it's automated and ever more frequent. Is there nothing eir can do? 

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geminiman63

Same here :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm more concerned about robot eir: Thomas who needs the OP full details to figure out if this is a scam or not. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 debarra123

Same here - at least 2 calls every day lately.  Surely Eir can   do something to block these ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭eir: Kellie

debarra123 wrote: »
    Same here - at least 2 calls every day lately.  Surely Eir can   do something to block these ?
    Hi there debarra123,

I understand that these phone calls are stressful and frustrating.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to block these numbers. If you have the number they are calling from, some devices allow you to block the number yourself. Other than that my only advice would be to avoid these numbers and never give any sensitive information if you are unsure about the caller.

~Kellie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

debarra123 wrote: »
    These are not real numbers, even if they blocked a number they would just move on to the next number - Skype...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Getting numerous calls, maybe 10, all from different local landline numbers for past week or so, Think I have to quit the landline quickly. Seems to be no advice here on how to avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Same here in Dublin and also a relation in Co. Clare.

We are both getting up to 6 of these "Emily" calls per day (sometimes more)

Think it's time to ditch the landline, we rarely use it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 xDaniD21x

Since the middle of January we’ve gotten 20+ calls from “Emily”, a different number each time. We’re not even with Eir anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Robot emily from cyber crimes unit, number withheld, Calls start 8.15am. Daily, numerous calls a day from lots different numbers, Its a Pain.

Do something Eir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is there something eir can actually do if they keep using loads of different numbers?

tuxy wrote: »
    Is there something eir can actually do if they keep using loads of different numbers?
    Nope, best you can do is if your phone supports a whitelist and block all other numbers.
    The numbers they use are not real so you would spend the rest of your life continually blocking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 UrbanVixen

Robot Emily just keeps ringing us a lot. The frequency of calls has increased since early January 2019. This is now getting very boring.

We get the calls from 7 digit numbers which make it look like it is coming from another Dublin number. We have phoned back a few times to see what happens. However, when you get to about the fourth digit an automated announcement from Eir tells you that the number is not in service.

What I would love to understand technically is how a caller can send a 7 digit number to our telephone [landline] caller ID from a number that is not in service.

Very easy to spoof the caller ID

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

She called me this morning 3 times. Funny thing is I don’t subscribe to EIR.

Just any other scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭eir: Linzi

UrbanVixen wrote: »

Phishing and impersonation scams are global issues that have recently become more common across Europe. Phishing is certainly not a problem that is confined to Irish operators and trusted business names such as eir are often used by fraudsters because people are familiar with the company.

The modus operandi of the caller is to pretend to be a representative of a legitimate company and to then persuade the individual to divulge personal and/or financial information or to click on a web link to download software that may compromise the customer's computer. Generally, the fraudster does not actually have your number; rather they use an autodialler to call hundreds of random numbers automatically.

Our advice to our customers' who may receive an unsolicited call is:

• Do not respond to calls from an unknown source.
    • Never disclose any information particularly personal or financial.
    • Never visit web pages provided by the caller.
    • If you hear an automated message on answering a call asking you to press a number, hang up.
    • If you suspect that the caller is not genuine, end the call.
    • If you have provided bank account or credit card details please contact your bank immediately to advise that your banking details may have been compromised.

Thanks

Linzi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes, getting them in mayo too and always from a local legit looking 5 digit number which will catch a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

They are using what appears to be local numbers. 4 times yesterday and the usual one about 08.45 hours.

It’s a pity we/ someone can’t block them.

Yes, we get the usual warnings about not giving any details. However, some must be giving details or they wouldn’t carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 auriol

Hers is a calm, mechanical, yet in some ways sultry, voice. 

‘This is Emily from Eircom. Your broadband connection has been compromised and will be cut off in the next 24 hours. Press 1 to connect to a technician.’ Emily breathes out sensuously and waits; waiting for me to make my move. She wants me to. She really wants me to. Deep down Emily wants me.

I don’t want a technician but I’d like to please Emily.  She is calling me from some warm, exotic location.  Sitting in a large wicker throne- like chair, she is lightly dressed in something flimsy, something sheer and silky, something that ripples and shimmers like gossamer in the balmy breeze.  Behind her, just off the veranda, palm trees wave gently, from the beach comes a distant echo of booming surf. 

‘Who’s that?’ asks herself, from the kitchen. 

‘Emily, again.’

‘Put the phone down. You know it’s a scam. She’s teasing you.’

On a little rattan table at Emily’s side sits one of those big old fashioned ivory phones, 1930’s style, with the rotary dial done in gold. Emily is holding the receiver lightly against her delicate ear, looking straight at me with her large blue eyes.  In her other hand, a globe shaped cocktail glass filled with a brightly coloured concoction, lots of ice and a straw. Emily places her lips carefully around the straw, purses her mouth into a full pout, sucks slowly, and waits. The sun, now sinking behind her into a shimmering tropical sea, silhouettes her perfect form and throws a blazing halo around her blond head.

‘Don’t press 1.  She’ll seize all our money.’

Emily looks up from her drink, looks directly at me and smiles a little smile. ‘T’s and C’s apply,’ she says.

I press 1. 

Advertisement