Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Business Class

Options
  • 05-07-2018 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭

Thinking of upgrading to business for my flight from Dublin to Miami. Will be paid for out of my own pocket, not through a company or avios.

It's a long flight and I have always wanted to try out business having never flown it before.

In your view, how is the experience? Is it worth the cost from a leisure point of view - lounges/comfort and speed of check in/the on board experience?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Mokuba wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading to business for my flight from Dublin to Miami. Will be paid for out of my own pocket, not through a company or avios.

It's a long flight and I have always wanted to try out business having never flown it before.

In your view, how is the experience? Is it worth the cost from a leisure point of view - lounges/comfort and speed of check in/the on board experience?

Thanks.

If flying on your own, well worth it (assuming you can afford it). It's a long flight, 9 hours from memory, and the business class seats/area are very comfortable. I wouldn't be raving about the lounge or food there, but probably worth the experience if you haven't done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    If flying on your own, well worth it (assuming you can afford it). It's a long flight, 9 hours from memory, and the business class seats/area are very comfortable. I wouldn't be raving about the lounge or food there, but probably worth the experience if you haven't done it before.

On board product is excellent, well worth it. Lounge is nothing special but no lounge in DUB or SNN is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

HTCOne wrote: »
    On board product is excellent, well worth it. Lounge is nothing special but no lounge in DUB or SNN is.

For clarity, I was talking about the selection of 'food' in the lounge, not onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Yeah, the fact that it's a long flight - so I'll get more value out of it, and the fact that I am by myself so don't have to worry about another person being able to afford it, makes me want to give it a go even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Food choice in 51 state lounge is basic but better than the other lounges. Don't expect anything warm beyond soup, you won't be getting a sit down meal...

There is free WiFi in business class
    Best seat on the North Atlantic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Etihad’s lounge in dub is top notch. Twice as good as ei offering. Choice of four hot dishes minimising any time I used it.

I haven’t flown business on Aer Lingus but have upgraded with Etihad once, cost me 1300 euro and was something I always wanted to do, I wouldn’t be raving about it and to be honest probably wasn’t worth the money, food was good and the extra space was nice but not worth 1300 euros.

I would be thinking Aer Lingus would be something similar, it’s nice to do it for the experience but wouldn’t be doing it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

adam88 wrote: »
    Etihad’s lounge in dub is top notch. Twice as good as ei offering. Choice of four hot dishes minimising any time I used it.

I wouldn’t call Etihad’s in Dublin top notch, just best of a bad bunch. I’d consider Star lounges in SFO and Changi top notch. Nothing in Ireland is on the same planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Thinking of upgrading to business for my flight from Dublin to Miami.

Thanks.

Its not just the flight, its the whole experience.

So you get to Dublin and the dedicated business class check in line. There is never more that 1 or 2 people ahead of you.

Then through fast track security and on to US immigration before heading to 51st & Green. This was a lovely lounge in the beginning but now its just ok. However it does get you away from the mass unwashed.

Board the aircraft first, and that feeling of turning LEFT is nice. Try and get the throne seat. Someone else will say what row it is whether on the A332 or A333.

I always loved the service although it can be a bit hit and miss sometimes but outbound is generally better than the inbound.

First off the aircraft and first to get bags. Out the door.

So worth the money when you consider the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

3K and 5K are the best seats...

You do get fast track security at the US pre clearance also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That should probably read that no Aer Lingus lounge in DUB or SNN is. Etihad lounge there is fantastic and on a par with any Etihad lounge in the world except Abu Dhabi - only better because of the spa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

adam88 wrote: »
    I haven’t flown business on Aer Lingus but have upgraded with Etihad once, cost me 1300 euro and was something I always wanted to do, I wouldn’t be raving about it and to be honest probably wasn’t worth the money, food was good and the extra space was nice but not worth 1300 euros.

I would be thinking Aer Lingus would be something similar, it’s nice to do it for the experience but wouldn’t be doing it every time.

Depends on the route and the plane. DUB-AUH isn't great as it's on some of the older 777s, but on a route with the A380 it's a completely different experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Would definitely recommend it especially if you haven't done it before - depending on the price of course.

I did it on a flight to Chicago 2 years ago after getting an e mail offer to bod to upgrade and was successful. With that I couldn't select a seat in advance and had to wait until check in so didn't get one of the throne seats. Having priority status meant going through the airport was much more relaxed including the two security checks and US immigration.

I thought the 51st and Green Lounge was fine - just snacks and drink available but nice to have a comfy seat and drinks on demand if you want them. I think the Miami flight is a bit later in the day so no harm to have a drink or two while waiting, My flight was a bit earlier at 11.30 so i didn't bother.

On board it was a great experience, There were 2 crew looking after about the 30 pax in business so it felt very different from a regular flight. Both crew on my flight were motherly in nature and provided excellent service. Pre departure drinks were served and amenity kits were distributed and codes for the free wifi.

Once in the air the drinks kept flowing and a really good lunch was served with proper linen, plates and cutlery. IFE was good - think it was the same selection as economy but had a much larger screen. Seat itself is fantastic as it does recline fully into a bed. Some feeling lying down after a big feed, watching a movie and thinking you are crossing the Atlantic. Time goes so quick when you have this level of comfort.

The only bad thing was having to fly economy coming back. I was dreaming of those Business Class seats coming home. I still think it is better to fly it outbound as the flights are longer and you get better "value" from it on a day time flight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I would only recommend it on the flight back from the US to Ireland. Eastbound flights are the ones you want to sleep on, and as you can imagine, sleeping in Business class is a whole hell of a lot easier. I save my money on the Westbound flights and go premium economy. (I'm 6'5, and need legroom). You want to stay awake going West.

You want to stay awake going West.

Of course you do so you can be awake to experience the whole thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Yeah I wouldn't be purchasing it to sleep through it, although many do for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thinking of upgrading to business for my flight from Dublin to Miami.

Thanks.

Its not just the flight, its the whole experience.

So you get to Dublin and the dedicated business class check in line. There is never more that 1 or 2 people ahead of you.

Then through fast track security and on to US immigration before heading to 51st & Green. This was a lovely lounge in the beginning but now its just ok. However it does get you away from the mass unwashed.

Board the aircraft first, and that feeling of turning LEFT is nice. Try and get the throne seat. Someone else will say what row it is whether on the A332 or A333.

I always loved the service although it can be a bit hit and miss sometimes but outbound is generally better than the inbound.

First off the aircraft and first to get bags. Out the door.

So worth the money when you consider the whole thing.
    The seats are good their airport facilities suck. The lounges are poor, the check in may have a small q, but it moves much slower ( lots of business class and first class are princesses and have special requests and lots of luggage )

You don’t necessarily get your bags first.

fullstop wrote: »
    Depends on the route and the plane. DUB-AUH isn't great as it's on some of the older 777s, but on a route with the A380 it's a completely different experience.

I’ll upgrade again for sure but this time in a very long leg and on a newer aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I never got the appeal of it. Ye I'd take it over cramped coach if it'd cost nothing or say an extra fifty. But three times the money for a bit of sh1te food in a very moderate lounge and the privilege of a couple of free beers and a few inches of leg space? No thank you, there is no rationale in it. And all that stuff like priority queue or early boarding etc doesnt make a difference either. You won't be a minute earlier out of Miami airport than the cheapo (me) in row 47.
    I'll stick the headphones on or read a good book and it'll be over in 7 hours. Maybe you guys are all high rollers but there is no way I can make €1000 of money in hand in 7 hours so it's a no brainer.
    I get the curiosity factor if you've never done it before but trust me, you'll be disappointed and thinking 'well that wasn't worth a grand'.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

I don' think it is worth the extra cost either, especially on Aer Lingus. I try to avoid them as much as I can to be honest, poor connections in the US and the Avois thing is a complete disaster but that's a whole other thread. I travel a lot for work these days to the US and get to go business as work pays for it but I would never spend that kind of cash on a personal flight that only last's a few hours. I think it much better to spend the money and upgrade your hotel if you are on holiday.

• Advertisement

I never got the appeal of it. Ye I'd take it over cramped coach if it'd cost nothing or say an extra fifty. But three times the money for a bit of sh1te food in a very moderate lounge and the privilege of a couple of free beers and a few inches of leg space? No thank you, there is no rationale in it. And all that stuff like priority queue or early boarding etc doesnt make a difference either. You won't be a minute earlier out of Miami airport than the cheapo (me) in row 47.
    I'll stick the headphones on or read a good book and it'll be over in 7 hours. Maybe you guys are all high rollers but there is no way I can make €1000 of money in hand in 7 hours so it's a no brainer.
    I get the curiosity factor if you've never done it before but trust me, you'll be disappointed and thinking 'well that wasn't worth a grand'.

I have never been disappointed and thought that wasn't worth the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My thinking exactly.

If I got to try it for nothing or not very much I'd love to experience it.

But I recently booked flights to San Francisco and got the email inviting me to bid for an upgrade - minimum bids showing would have almost quadrupled the fare :eek: You'd want an awful lot of free drink and food to justify that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

I’ve flown EI business a few times to NewYork and it is definitely worth it to me .. only once did I pay the full fare .. the other times it was via the ‘how much would you pay to upgrade’ option.

The lounge in Dublin is just a little less crowded but nothing to look forward to. The flight is just more comfortable and the lack of queuing is great.

On arrival at JFK on business class you are out first .. bags collected and in a yellow cab by the time most people are off the plane.

I was in Orlando earlier this year and flew economy as was with 15 others .. and for a nine hour flight business class would have been worth every penny

Ya that was my experience. Nice to do it, scratched off the bucket list, wouldn’t do it again unless I was getting it for less than 500 for transatlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Fly it a good bit with work to/from west coast of the US, would always be my first preference over similar offerings from other airlines. The only gripes would be that the in flight entertainment options are a bit limited and that the food on the return leg from the US is always poor compared to the standard on the way out, but other than that it’s a good product. Cabin crews also very good at remembering the regulars and always up for a bit of a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I never got the appeal of it. .

I've been upgraded for as little as €250, on a fare of about €200, so €450 all in, its the cheapest way to fly the Atlantic in business.

On the night flights, its the equivalent, at least in my experience, of a hotel room in a downtown hotel. Totally worth it if you are coming off a business trip or don't want days of jet lag.

All said though, EI Business is not what YouTube VLogers are talking about when they mention the likes of Business Class on LH or the Middle Eastern Airlines. It's nowhere near it. I had the good fortune of flying 1st on LH out of Mexico, having flown LH Business in, one night and it's otherworldly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I have never flown over the pond for €200, cheapest was around €750. Business would have been €1900 then. On a fairly popular route mind you.
    My employer just wouldn't pay for that and while its not my money once I learned about the difference I couldnt ask for it anyway. Not saying its not better and wouldn't make a difference to may night/day but not €1200 worth of a difference.

Advertisement