Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thistle variety?

Options
  • 05-07-2018 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have seen this large leaved plant develop in the flower bed near the driveway since last year. I did not recognise the leaves and had at one stage thrown down some mixed perennial flower seeds in the area and hoped it might have been one of these. It has now started to flower as can be seen in this video clip and it looks to be some form of thistle. The flowers that are opening are purple like some thistles I have seen but the leaves and stem have no real thorns and are wider than other thistles I am used to seeing. The leave have rough edges all right but have not got pronounced thorns. They are more like courgette leaves. It's a large plant being over a metre wide and a metre and a half tall. Is this a cultivated thistle flower of some sort or is it just another type of wild thistle? Any help and replies much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You sure its a thistle? Looks like a teasel to me.

doh, jumped in there without really looking :rolleyes:

Its a burdock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

my3cents wrote: »
    You sure its a thistle? Looks like a teasel to me.

doh, jumped in there without really looking :rolleyes:

Its a burdock

Just checked the images online and Burdock it is. Thanks!

Advertisement