Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I increase sum assured on home insurance?

• 05-07-2018 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi there. Just got renewal for my house insurance today. I'm going to use fictional figures for ease.

Bought the house in 2012 for 100k. Insured it for the same.

Here we are in 2018 now and an identical house on the road has sold for 150k.

Should I be increasing my sum assured to that? Is there any way of ever knowing what it would cost for me to rebuild if my house burned to the ground?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

laotg wrote: »
    Hi there. Just got renewal for my house insurance today. I'm going to use fictional figures for ease.

Bought the house in 2012 for 100k. Insured it for the same.

Here we are in 2018 now and an identical house on the road has sold for 150k.

Should I be increasing my sum assured to that? Is there any way of ever knowing what it would cost for me to rebuild if my house burned to the ground?

The value of the house is irrelevant; it should be insured for the cost to rebuild it. The calculator posted above would be the way to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

van_beano wrote: »
    McGaggs wrote: »
    The value of the house is irrelevant; it should be insured for the cost to rebuild it. The calculator posted above would be the way to check it out.

I'm getting a mortgage on a new build, and was advised to get the house insurance in place before drawing down the mortgage. I used the calculator above, and added on about 20k to account for "stuff" (random figure to make it a round number).

The bank sent their valuer around last week, and the rebuild cost he gave to the bank was 100k more expensive than the SCSI calculator. At this stage I'm too tired to debate it, so I just adjusted the insurance. I'm a bit wary of that calculator now though (though it may equally be the valuer is mad, or there's something "special" about the house that I'm missing).

Advertisement