Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord terminating tenancy

Options
  • 05-07-2018 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I moved into the property on October 2010 so the initial part IV tenancy finished in 2014 when the second part IV tenancy started.

The LL has now just informed me that he wishes to terminate the tenancy in order to avoid another part IV tenancy starting. Can anyone tell me if he is correct and within his rights or if the current part IV tenancy not due to expire in 2020 given the change in the legislation in 2016?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

factnee wrote: »
    I moved into the property on October 2010 so the initial part IV tenancy finished in 2014 when the second part IV tenancy started.

The LL has now just informed me that he wishes to terminate the tenancy in order to avoid another part IV tenancy starting. Can anyone tell me if he is correct and within his rights or if the current part IV tenancy not due to expire in 2020 given the change in the legislation in 2016?

You were already on the second part 4 in 2016. The legislation kept all existing part 4s in being as they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your second Part IV expires in October this year. The changes to 6 years only happened in 2016 and impacted Part IVs starting thereafter.

However, AFAIK you are entitled to 196 days notice (28 weeks or 7 months). What notice period has the landlord given you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

dudara wrote: »
    Your second Part IV expires in October this year. The changes to 6 years only happened in 2016 and impacted Part IVs starting thereafter.

However, AFAIK you are entitled to 196 days notice (28 weeks or 7 months). What notice period has the landlord given you?

28 weeks is 6+1/2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

He has given me 28 weeks notice alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

4ensic15 wrote: »
    28 weeks is 6+1/2 months
    I’m going by the simple definition of 4 weeks/month to make it easier. The 196 days is what really matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I’m going by the simple definition of 4 weeks/month to make it easier. The 196 days is what really matters

The 196 days only starts the day after the notice is received so in reality it is 197 days.

Advertisement