Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open/Closed Window Blinds on Flights?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Mebuntu wrote: »
    1. It's not a trivial matter at all to those it affects.

2. As we have just heard there is only Ryanair out of Dublin who don't recline.

1. Air rage isn't a trivial matter, somebody reclining the seat they've paid for is a trivial matter. If you're likely to get upset by someone doing this then maybe flyings not for you.

2. Tells you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Still not sure why crew insist on window blinds being down in daylight!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I get the distinct feeling that all the posters who would feel the need to "challenge" the cabin crew are the same sort of people who get offended very easily and often find themselves uttering the phrase "I want to speak to your supervisor" when out and about.

Its a window, to a view that 95% of the time is an image of the top of clouds. You are a grown up, you'll get over it if you don't get to take another epic photo out of a ****ty double glazed plastic window.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

GreeBo wrote: »
    I get the distinct feeling that all the posters who would feel the need to "challenge" the cabin crew are the same sort of people who get offended very easily and often find themselves uttering the phrase "I want to speak to your supervisor" when out and about.
    Well, your "distinct feeling" in my case is wrong. I'm very laid back. Feel free to oppose my opinion but don't try to put a label on my character!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,707 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is just another way in which flying is becoming more and more of a chore. We have those who don’t want the reclining seat function used, we have those who don’t want you to use the window to look out of !!! What next ?!

What's next is "Well if you wanted to use the toilet you should have booked an aisle seat!"

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

This is just another way in which flying is becoming more and more of a chore. We have those who don’t want the reclining seat function used, we have those who don’t want you to use the window to look out of !!! What next ?!

What's next is "Well if you wanted to use the toilet you should have booked an aisle seat!"
    This attitude is already definitely a thing I’ve personally experienced it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Locker10a wrote: »
    Did you do a Gerard Depardieu in response?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

plodder wrote: »
    Did you do a Gerard Depardieu in response?
    No sadly I seem to be to hard wired with manners to be impolite. I’ve experienced it twice topped off sighs and passive aggressive attitude

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Well, your "distinct feeling" in my case is wrong. I'm very laid back. Feel free to oppose my opinion but don't try to put a label on my character!

I’m simply going to repost Mebuntus reply as my reply. I can’t put it any better without breaking forum rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I have to say that I have never reclined my seat on aircraft on any flight I have taken in my life, out of respect for the person behind me as I do not like it when the seat in front of me is reclined!

In the same vein, in the past, when I have had a window seat on the sunny side of the aircraft with the sun beaming in, I have closed my blind....given up my view....when I felt it was causing discomfort to other passengers around me/sitting near me.

Maybe I am a too conscientious passenger!

You would be appalled at how many people, myself included, who recline seats to enable sleep on 23 - 26 hr slogs from Europe to Australia/NZ, and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Cinderella3

I reciently flew with American Airlines from Dublin to Philadelphia , same thing window blinds down throughout th entire flight . It was awful ...so disorientating ! I love looking out the window during a flight

Gee whiz (:pac:)

I thought I was choosing something too outrageous to be true.

It seems that human decency is out the window (if aircraft windows opened!)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ah, 2010/11, when a celeb of sorts would whip it out on a flight to Ireland every few months :pac:

L1011 wrote: »
    Ah, 2010/11, when a celeb of sorts would whip it out on a flight to Ireland every few months :pac:

I wonder does yer man get many requests for this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just back from a trip that involved Dublin-Atlanta-Orlando, Orlando-Cancun, Cancun-JFK-Dublin flights, all Delta and can confirm that the blinds were down on all daytime legs. I have to say, I found it very discombobulating - found myself nodding off at 1pm on a westbound flight and I'm not a napper.

In other news, I will never fly Delta again. Outbound trip was fine. On the way home, I have never been subjected to so many fcuk ups by a single organisation in my entire life. I'll post about them later, when I regain the will to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

H3llR4iser wrote: »

On the trip back, from Dulles, on a 757-200 (note - single aisle on a transatlantic flight isn't a great idea, but I digress) it was exactly the same - no "blinds down nazis". It was a "red-eye" flight as the Americans call them, and the sight of the sunrise was as we flew towards it was quite something.

g...

Flying this route in a few weeks time, UA127 & UA126, Does the 757 -200s that United use have IFE in the back of the headrests on this route

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

LJ3103 wrote: »
    Flying this route in a few weeks time, UA127 & UA126, Does the 757 -200s that United use have IFE in the back of the headrests on this route

Thanks
    Yes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thanks

No IFE on any of the (4) UA flights I was on recently!

You use your own phone/iPad and download UA app. Wifi is free on board, just to access the UA app., where there are movies, programs, music, etc. You can also pay for wifi for full internet access.

Wifi was a bit dodgy on 2 of my 4 flights so make sure to download some stuff from Netflix or other source for back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

No IFE on any of the (4) UA flights I was on recently!

You use your own phone/iPad and download UA app. Wifi is free on board, just to access the UA app., where there are movies, programs, music, etc. You can also pay for wifi for full internet access.

Wifi was a bit dodgy on 2 of my 4 flights so make sure to download some stuff from Netflix or other source for back up!

Where any of these flights on the DUB - IAD route

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Where any of these flights on the DUB - IAD route

No....DUB - EWR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

No....DUB - EWR.

United use their domestic 777s on the DUB–EWR route which don't have IFE. However on the DUB–IAD route they use their international 757s which do have IFE screens at each seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

United use their domestic 777s on the DUB–EWR route which don't have IFE
    I have flown this route and it had IFE on the 777 I was on, anyway.d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

trellheim wrote: »
    I have flown this route and it had IFE on the 777 I was on, anyway.d

They changed to the domestic 777s recently enough (a year or so maybe).

Advertisement